Good sport over rape

Catamong

Went out today with fellow forum member Stealth Stalker to cover a couple of fields of rape I'd been watching all week, and letting the numbers build up.

Got there at 8am, just getting light, cold northerly breeze, we were shooting about 1/2 mile apart with the M1 motorway between us, as I emptied out my bag at the hide I realised I'd forgotten to bring 2 deadun's for my rotary, so had to shoot a couple flighting past before I started proper, as it would be hopeless on thick rape with just a static pattern.

Could hear SS popping away, they came in bursts, with a very brisk spell between 11 and 12 noon when they were coming straight in to the pattern from all points of the compass, (I hit 2 with one shot..!!), things finally quietened down at about 1pm, just as it started to rain, so we packed up and picked up a respectable total of 80 birds, (plus one feral) between us.

Good time had by us both, even if it ended cold & wet.

Roll on next weekend..!!

The clays can wait for a bit..!!

Cat.

Good day there Cat.

I was gona go out 2day on clover where a good number of birds were hitting but no wind at all so no point, 1 shot they'd be gone leave it till next wkend. Penciled this wednesday in on rape give windy day with a mate on another field close by. If we have a bag like yours be more than made up :rolleyes:

I'm sure we would have had more if there had been a bit more wind, but I think more importantly we were both in the right place on our particular fields, and at the right time, as neither fields had been shot for at least a week, and therefore the birds that came along were confident and came straight in.

I don't bother shooting a field if I know that somebody who knows what they're doing has shot it the day before, there may still be plenty of birds about, but they're always really shy and are really hard to decoy.

The only exception is on Spring drillings, peas & beans, when you can very often have a couple of good days on the trot.

Cat.

A farmer I know has suggested a rimmie is a reasonable tool for pigeons - and if his land is Cleared he wants me to have a bash.

Would this be correct?

I say IF it's cleared... He's never had it cleared - but a tree hugger repeatedly calls old bill if he shoots on his land - and they know it quite well apparantly.

Edited by Dave-G

A farmer I know has suggested a rimmie is a reasonable tool for pigeons - and if his land is Cleared he wants me to have a bash.

this bit is ok unless you have any flyers.

but a tree hugger repeatedly calls old bill if he shoots on his land - and they know it quite well apparantly.

if you do get the odd zinnger this bit could be trouble.

A farmer I know has suggested a rimmie is a reasonable tool for pigeons - and if  his land is Cleared he wants me to have a bash.

Would this be correct?

I say IF it's cleared... He's never had it cleared - but a tree hugger repeatedly calls old bill if he shoots on his land - and they know it quite well apparantly.

Nothing wrong with a rimfire Dave, but just be careful of ricochets, if possible get into a position where you can shoot down onto them rather then flat at them.

Any good at tree climbing? that will please the huggers they can give you leg up at the bottom ;)

Edited by stuartp

Catamong

Sorry its taken so long for me to fill in a post, been a bit busy!

As you said we had a good morning on the rape, I was surprised it hadn,t

grown much from our last outing?

As before you had done your homework on where & when the birds would be

& from what direction they,d be coming from. No such thing as too much recconnaisance!

There were some really big flocks about, could have probably down with 1 or 2

more guns about to really keep them on the move & break them up.

I,ve now got a freezer full of oven ready woodies.

Cheers Stealth Stalker