Car Insurance Winge!

Frenchieboy

Ozzy,

I would have to say you are the deluded one if you think there was only £1,000,000 paid in car insurance last year. Working in a call centre doesn't make you an expert I am afraid.

And as for 13% gross profit, I know a lot of businesses that work on less than that. And they are not industries that sell products that are COMPULSORY like car insurance.

Insurance costs are a scam, and a legal one at that. I have got my insurance cheaper year after year with the same company by using a comparison site, this is after phoning them to see if they can do it cheaper. Last year I was actually on the site while I spoke and they still said they couldn't do it cheaper. Even though the meerkat could.

Ozzy,

I would have to say you are the deluded one if you think there was only £1,000,000 paid in car insurance last year. Working in a call centre doesn't make you an expert I am afraid.

He said for every million

And as for 13% gross profit, I know a lot of businesses that work on less than that. And they are not industries that sell products that are COMPULSORY like car insurance.

13% left after paying claims, not profit

Insurance costs are a scam, and a legal one at that. I have got my insurance cheaper year after year with the same company by using a comparison site, this is after phoning them to see if they can do it cheaper. Last year I was actually on the site while I spoke and they still said they couldn't do it cheaper. Even though the meerkat could.

13% left after paying claims, not profit

Which is what gross profit is :hmm: :hmm:

And anyway £130,000 out of every million ain't bad is it?

you wouldn't have thought so, its all bull the fact a loyal customer gets bent over while a new one gets a better quote is a farce. I put Insurance salesmen up with estate agents on my list of people I like dealing with :hmm:

14 scoda octavias 1.9 tdi all our own vehicles/ taxis

last years policy £23.000 and only a couple of claims third partys fault

this year £30.000 :hmm: rang round the very few reliable companys which do private hire insurance and they could not beat 30g

you wouldn't have thought so, its all bull the fact a loyal customer gets bent over while a new one gets a better quote is a farce. I put Insurance salesmen up with estate agents on my list of people I like dealing with :hmm:

agree with you al4x weve been with same company 20 year and you get sod all for it

not even a tube of vaseline to ease the pain just plain old dry shafted

have you tried Stavely head decoyingmad, we have couriervans with them hire and reward and works out about £1200 a vehicle

not tryed them al4x but will have a look next year.we have allready renewed the policy for this year :hmm:

but if it comes in the same or higher next july it wont get to 21 years :hmm:

Edited by decoying mad

I've just recently grown to dislike insurance companies with a real passion! Ever since our roof leaked and "according to our sources there wasn't enough rain and/or wind on that day for a claim to be accepted". I mean really? I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I've had insurance for twelve years on my car and never claimed. Can they not see from that record that I'm not out to fiddle them? I was genuine then and needed there help but I'll tell you one thing, if my Landy ever gets rear ended by anything bigger than a moped the first thing I'll do is get out holding my neck! As far as I'm concerned they owe me £1700 and I'll spend the rest of my life looking for a way to get that back.

That was with the Halifax by the way. The same people who were looked into by "Watchdog" after ripping off some poor old pensioner when his roof leaked. Funnily enough they backed down on his because of the publicity, but from what I remember it was something to do with their small print stating that if there wasn't more than about nine feet of rain (ok so I'm exagerating a bit here) they wouldn't pay! I remeber the day ours leaked. It was like monsoon season outside and the wind actually lifted tiles off of the roof. Several houses were damaged yet the Halifax suggested it was due to lack of maintenance? Right, ok then. I'll just bend over for you shall I? :hmm:

Anyone defending the insurance companies needs their head looking at. Perhaps if they did something about the people who claim five times in a year for a new kitchen when their kettle leaks they may be able to afford to look after the genuine cases. It's a joke.

I've just recently grown to dislike insurance companies with a real passion! Ever since our roof leaked and "according to our sources there wasn't enough rain and/or wind on that day for a claim to be accepted". I mean really? I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I've had insurance for twelve years on my car and never claimed. Can they not see from that record that I'm not out to fiddle them? I was genuine then and needed there help but I'll tell you one thing, if my Landy ever gets rear ended by anything bigger than a moped the first thing I'll do is get out holding my neck! As far as I'm concerned they owe me £1700 and I'll spend the rest of my life looking for a way to get that back.

That was with the Halifax by the way. The same people who were looked into by "Watchdog" after ripping off some poor old pensioner when his roof leaked. Funnily enough they backed down on his because of the publicity, but from what I remember it was something to do with their small print stating that if there wasn't more than about nine feet of rain (ok so I'm exagerating a bit here) they wouldn't pay! I remeber the day ours leaked. It was like monsoon season outside and the wind actually lifted tiles off of the roof. Several houses were damaged yet the Halifax suggested it was due to lack of maintenance? Right, ok then. I'll just bend over for you shall I? :hmm:

Anyone defending the insurance companies needs their head looking at. Perhaps if they did something about the people who claim five times in a year for a new kitchen when their kettle leaks they may be able to afford to look after the genuine cases. It's a joke.

Here, here....it's a joke and you get shafted at every turn...

never come away and felt like i got a good service yet and i dread to think what most people have paid out on insurance for home, health, cars, motorbikes, holidays....

total rip off in most cases but as someone said it is a compulsory shafting!!

Aviva are the biggest insurer in this country and their 1/2 yearly figures to August make interesting reading.

An operating profit of £1.27 BILLION up 21% on last years figure.

A 'sparkling' performance according to city analysts.

And how do they repay their customers? An 11% hike in premiums.

Obviously not all their profits come from car insurance. A lot is from life/home and pensions business, but as we aren't legally obliged to have these it would be harder for them to apply such a rise to these premiums.

Nobgobblers, the lot of them.

Edited by poontang

As I said, do a comparison online in ALL comparison sites (it will take you 30 minutes for all three or four of them) and then get an online quote of the companies not on them (direct line and aviva I think). then call your current insurer, quote the cheapest number you got (even if it is not 100% like for like, tell them it is) and watch them reduce your premium not in one, but on two or even three occasions after they 'speak to a supervisor' during the same call.

As I said, do a comparison online in ALL comparison sites (it will take you 30 minutes for all three or four of them) and then get an online quote of the companies not on them (direct line and aviva I think). then call your current insurer, quote the cheapest number you got (even if it is not 100% like for like, tell them it is) and watch them reduce your premium not in one, but on two or even three occasions after they 'speak to a supervisor' during the same call.

defo...always do this every year...for every insurance(car, house etc) surprising how you save! just dont tell the mrs an keep the saving fro some carts!lol! :hmm:

I always insure with Churchill, I have never found anyone to beat them yet with my level of cover but I always look to see, again this year they are £33.00 cheaper than the nearest which was the "AA".

Alan

Yep, I'll go with that. However, what's your excess? In 1974 I had the one accident that was my fault so thought the excess was a fair risk. Then I backed into my neighbour's BMW. £500 lighter soon proved that a bad judgement call. Still, one accident every 36 years can't be bad and from what I save between Churchill and the next lowest quote I should break even in 11 years. Just hope I don't regret saying that.

Cheers

I have just had my renewal come through for my 4X4 and I am not happy. I have been loyal to the one insurance company for a good few years now and this is coming up to the 4th year with the same motor. I have never made a claim (Or had an accident) for over 10 years nor have I had as much as a speeding conviction yet the cost of my insurance which is Fully Comprenensive as usual has gone up yet again! I phoned the company this afternoon and asked them why my insurance went up each year for the same motor even though I had never made a claim and I couldn't believe the reason they gave me - They said that even though I had not made a claim other drivers in my area had and it was because of the costs of their claims that my insurance was going up yet again!

What sort of a society are we living in that says that I have to be penalised each year to pay for the other crappy and careless dirvers about? Would you be happy about this?

OK that's it - Winge over, but I'm still not happy so I might go and "Go Compare"!

Had the same last year. The insurance company put up the price, I phoned them to ask why.

I was told that the crime rate had gone up in my area :hmm: I asked how they new this, as the local paper / news had just announced their annual crime statistics and vehicle crime was at an all time low :hmm:

Never did get a straight answer :hmm:

Shop about :hmm:

Maybe I should have mentioned that by shopping around I got Fully Comp Insurance with Legal Fees, Accident Recovery etc for a total of £277.97 for my M reg 2.0 Frontera Sport with the Co-Operative - That was a saving of over £50.00 from the price that Saga quoted me for Fully Comp without the Accident Recovery and Legal Fees so there was quite a difference and I am happy but it does seem that you do need to shop around for each renewal!

btw the CO OP are anti shooting a bloodsports.

Just as well that I didn't tell them that I am a member of Pigeonwatch then isn't it! They can be anti whatever they like as long as they insure me cheaper than the others!

Some posts have been binned. Stop the mudslinging or what should be an informative thread will get canned.

Well spoken Zapp! It's a shame that so many of these posts turn into needless slanging matches!