Deserve prosecution?

al4x

This makes for pretty distasteful reading, again Police have decided to shoot domestic animals and prooved their incompetence. Now people may be able to say differently but would the use of non expanding ammo be one of the issues? 19 shots to kill a horse isn't on and should bring about a cruelty conviction. They'd have been far better off getting someone local with a decent sized centrefire to do the job

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/8391830.Po...efended_by_vet/

http://jamesmarchington.blogspot.com/

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a bit reluctant to believe most which was written-especially the bit about shooting cowboy and indians style from roof of 4x4.Im suprised it didnt say they were shooting from the hip too! Im guessing the article was written by the horses owner who feels guilty because it was they who were responsible for the horses being loose or maybe the paper jazzing up a story?

Either way,its not nice that they were destroyed and is a shame they couldnt be caught.

Sounds like a press driven crock of poop to me - unless they are completely in the dark ages up in Yorkshire, if the equivalent were to happen in London, the officers would immediatley be placed on office duty and investigated - all the wild west stuff just sounds far too ridiculous to be true - I may be proved wrong and if I am, I shall drive quickly through the Yorkshire section of the A1 the next time I go up North to Newcastle to visit family, especially if I see a NYP 4x4.

Still, if it's printed in the press with a spurious eye witness accounts then it must be correct. :good:

Im a bit reluctant to believe most which was written-especially the bit about shooting cowboy and indians style from roof of 4x4.Im suprised it didnt say they were shooting from the hip too! Im guessing the article was written by the horses owner who feels guilty because it was they who were responsible for the horses being loose or maybe the paper jazzing up a story?

Either way,its not nice that they were destroyed and is a shame they couldnt be caught.

If, and only if, the 4by4 was moving while shots were taken then cowboys and indians it is. Am I right in thinking that someone has recently been done for drowning something small and fluffy/hairy? If so then like the poor horse the officers don't have a leg to stand on and the answer to the OP Title is, IMO, Yes.

Cheers

Am I right in thinking that the main weapon used by armed response teams uses a Nato 5.56mm round? If so, it seems they should have waited for someone equiped with a suitable weapon if the only option was to dispatch the horses.

Prosecuted? If the story is accurate, then yes. But I think more facts need to be known.

Surely they must have Deer stalkers who can be called out for RTAs etc? Even just a random selection from the licensing computer should pull up someone with a large calibre + expanding ammo who could have done the job better than them?

I think sometimes the rush of the moment makes people make wrong decisions. Shooting the horse however many times they did could have stopped a fatal accident on the road? I don't know, but I'm sure they didn't mess up on purpose!

There are lessons to be learned here for sure.

Surely they must have Deer stalkers who can be called out for RTAs etc? Even just a random selection from the licensing computer should pull up someone with a large calibre + expanding ammo who could have done the job better than them?

Just calling up a random shooter seems a little far fetched. For a start the police wouldn't really know if the person had experience shooting a large animal and secondly, they probably won't have 3rd party insurance, unless BASC are willing to pay out for a person shooting a horse in a field they don't have permission to shoot in...!

I do think a pro stalker is a good idea, but getting one on the scene faster than the armed police will be very unlikely!

Bearing in mind they shoot a lot more animals than people it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibilities to have a decent sized rifle and expanding ammo available to firearms teams. It does make a bit of a joke of the licensing system worrying about what we use then using unsatisfactory equipment themselves.

Evening Chaps,

I'll keep it short but here's my tuppence worth,

standard carbine calibre in the UK is .223.

large frame animals will not be shot at with the .223 ( other than in emergency for example wounded animal requiring despatching and at close range ie less than 10 feet)

-a trained rifle officer is called out equipped with a .308 shooting JSP ammo.Civilian shooters would not be invited to join in a Police firearms operation.

There were 2 horses on this occaison - No 1 shot and dropped dead. No 2 injured then dispatched. All reasonable steps were taken to capture or corrall these feral animals that had been roaming free from human contact for a number of months.

As the matter is now under investigation I will refrain from further comment.

All the best

Fudd

Government guidence reveals that they use .308 trophy bonded bear claw via snipers only. Methinks there's a fair ammount of **** in the press report

For inthedark and Billy

Bearclaw is intended for shooting through glass ie double or triple glazing.

Lapua greenspot in 308 jsp is standard-depending on regional area.

apparently,

fudd

Whilst we seem to be debating which calibre would have been best for the job in hand i must admit to being confused as to why they had to be shot in the fist place.If the road had been closed for ,say, 20 minutes is there anybody on this site who doesn,t think they could have got within darting range? :unsure: