Ricochets

JMW

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't miss and/or keep your angle as high as possible.

Also consider some of the fragmenting ammo and simply be careful on each shot.

I have said it many times, I believe there is far to much scare mongering about .22lr ricochets, yes it can happen, and yes, pretty much everyone has experienced it, but the .22lr is an excellent round with many uses, simply be mindful.

But isn't that the obvious thing to say about any calibre! ;) :blink:

Don't miss and/or keep your angle as high as possible.

Also consider some of the fragmenting ammo and simply be careful on each shot.

I have said it many times, I believe there is far to much scare mongering about .22lr ricochets, yes it can happen, and yes, pretty much everyone has experienced it, but the .22lr is an excellent round with many uses, simply be mindful.

But isn't that the obvious thing to say about any calibre! :P :blink:

As above,plus dont be one of these guys trying to push it out to .17hmr range,increased angle (higher shooting platform),ie back of truck and keep the range to sensible limits and you wont have to many then. ;)

Why is the .22lr so prone to this problem?

Because it is a reasonably large mass travelling at a slow (ballistically speaking) speed. It doesn't break up as easily as other bullets.

However, every bullet is capable of ricocheting, and I would advise against shooting any calibre across very dry land.

Mate Ive tried them all and they all do the same, then cci brought out the segmented hp subsonic great little round on impact they break up

they seem to do the trick.

hope this helps Allan

I have to disagree there, the head splits into three but the large base stays as one. In the states nobody mentions reduced ricochet on them and i find they are only fractionally better at best at worst it might be hype to sell fragmenting varmint rounds to us Brits who eat most of what is shot with the .22lr

:blink: Top advice..... Really answers his question ;)

Why would a .17HMR be any better? Is it resistant to ricochet or something?

Yes but it won't answer the question as unfortunatly the ones it does produce have fearsome extra damage potential. Wouldn't take a shot with HMR that i wouldn't with .22 lr for this very reason. Seriously FAC air is the tool you seek for this sort of work, second hand PCP's sell for about 30-40% lower than the same gun in 12ft lb and most have done less work

Yes but it won't answer the question as unfortunatly the ones it does produce have fearsome extra damage potential. Wouldn't take a shot with HMR that i wouldn't with .22 lr for this very reason. Seriously FAC air is the tool you seek for this sort of work, second hand PCP's sell for about 30-40% lower than the same gun in 12ft lb and most have done less work

Are they cheaper because most people who use air rifle don't have a FAC so the demand is less?

In terms of power how do they compare to a 22lr? Would an FAC air rifle be good out to 40 yards? And get a clean kill? I only use the 22LR at about 50 yards anyway.

Due to the lie of the land an air rifle would make a lot more shots available without the worry of a ricochet taking out one of the sheep in the next field.

PCP in .22 or .177? Any suggested good brands that are not too pricey?

Thanks

Jon

Are they cheaper because most people who use air rifle don't have a FAC so the demand is less?

In terms of power how do they compare to a 22lr? Would an FAC air rifle be good out to 40 yards? And get a clean kill? I only use the 22LR at about 50 yards anyway.

Due to the lie of the land an air rifle would make a lot more shots available without the worry of a ricochet taking out one of the sheep in the next field.

Thanks

Jon

.22LR runs at about 100ft/lbs and an FAC air, probably up to 40ft/lbs. This is fine for a 40 yard shot.

Thanks

Jon

Yep demand is less, always buy second hand or you loose a fortune on resale. Always go .22 cal as .177 only has 150-200 fps in it till it goes supersonic and looses accuracy. I have a MK1 Rapid 7 that i run just under 30 ft lb and it is just as accurate as the .22 lr unless its very windy 50 yds 10 shots on a thubnail no probs. I can also turn it down if i wanted to shoot ferals in a building say. To me there are two main choices Air arms 400 xtra or theoben rapid expect to pay 300-400 and be choosy there are more for sale than there are people with the required slot. Remeber you will need a divers tank of reasonable size and 300 bar budjet £100 second hand with loads of test

Fall out range is still an issue as at 100yds you are still looking at more muzzle energy than an off the shelf legal limit gun generates at the muzzle but if there is a backstop i shouldn't worry and ricochets are going to carry very little energy if they even get 50- 70yds. Safe to shoot into trees as they will not go more than 400yds at sensible power levels like a 30 ft lb .22 cal.

As for clean kills you need to think head or neck on bunnies and i won't ever shoot Hares with one for fear of wounding

simple answer is not to miss. one shot one kill and all that..............

I have had the .22 ricochet off rabbit heads when the angle has been bad and as another poster states you still need a stop behind what your shooting at as 40 grns of lead at around 100 ft lb aint gonna stop in the rabbit too much

What options are there as far as ammo choice goes in 22lr? Save me having to buy a new rifle.

With supersonic ammo its more likely to drive through the hard soil rather than ricochet, but you scare all the rabbits away after one shot and if it does ricochet then there is more energy than with the subsonics.

What about the CCI 29 grain low power stuff? It doesnt work in my CZ but does quite well in the Ruger 10/22. Less energy so less chance of deflecting?

Or should one just wait for rain and the ground to soften up that way I can use regular subs?

Jon

What options are there as far as ammo choice goes in 22lr? Save me having to buy a new rifle.

With supersonic ammo its more likely to drive through the hard soil rather than ricochet, but you scare all the rabbits away after one shot and if it does ricochet then there is more energy than with the subsonics.

What about the CCI 29 grain low power stuff? It doesnt work in my CZ but does quite well in the Ruger 10/22. Less energy so less chance of deflecting?

Or should one just wait for rain and the ground to soften up that way I can use regular subs?

Jon

cb longs can still ricochet, they have about 30 ftlbs of energy at the muzzle, ideal for squizzers/roosting crows or close range stuff, they don't go far when they do fly off tho which is the bonus. H/V rounds still ricochet and go further than the subs. Why don't the cb longs work in your B/A cz but do work in your semi 10/22?

It's not more likely to dig into the ground. If it's rock hard, it's rock hard.

If you shoot at water at a low angle, no matter what calibre you're shooting, it will bounce off. It's got nothing to do with power, it's the angle.