Shooting in the US..

Norrie

Hiya, I'm off to California next year for my hols..visiting family....now, my cousin has a good few rifles , pistols etc etc and i'm going to be shooting them on ranges, and hunting in the desert.......will my UK FAC and Shotty licence be sufficient for the purpose....:good:

He's going call the local police, but I'm hoping to get an answer here..:stupid: I've already tried looking on the T'internet..but cant find anything to help...

Thanks in advance guys..

Edited by Norrie

Hiya, I'm off to California next year for my hols..visiting family....now, my cousin has a good few rifles , pistols etc etc and i'm going to be shooting them on ranges, and hunting in the desert.......will my UK FAC and Shotty licence be sufficient for the purpose....:good:

He's going call the local police, but I'm hoping to get an answer here..:stupid: I've already tried looking on the T'internet..but cant find anything to help...

Thanks in advance guys..

I wouldn't even bother taking your licences with you. Seriously! Unless you're planning to bring some ammo or a gun back with you.

Walk into a range, fill out the forms and choose your gun. Enjoy shooting. As simple as that.

So long as your cousin has the shooting rights of wherever you're going, you'll be fine.

Edited by Billy.

Was shooting there on Friday morning, my friend took me down to the range, I signed two forms, one to say I would follow the rules of the range and the other a dislaimer. They gave me hearing and eye protection then we went and perforated a couple of targets with 200 rounds from a colt .45 and a few more from a 9mm. Good fun.

Don't know about California but I think in most states for hunting you need to get out of state licenses, stamps etc.

Don't know about California but I think in most states for hunting you need to get out of state licenses, stamps etc.

I shot a Glock 9mm and a M16 (S/A) in California about three years ago. No hesitations and I really didn't want to upset the woman serving me, as she had one huge loaded revolver strapped to her leg. :good:

You'll need a hunting license, which in most states means you also need to take a hunter's safety course to buy said hunting license. Not sure about california, but I'm sure Andy's link explains in more detail.

Gun ranges are easy. Show up, pay the money, go shooting.

Forget about bringing guns or ammo back with you. You're not allowed.

Thanks

Rick

They do have an interesting view on firearms over there.

Imagine walking into your local RFD and asking for a box of cartridges to shoot people with!

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...5004000_425-4-0

So true went to the Basspro shop in Florida, it is truly unbelievable i could spend many thousands of dollars in there, there was a section for home and self defence with the above cartridges and others rounds for sale All there ammo is not behind the counter but stacked up like beans in tesco everthing from shotgun cartiridges to 22 rimfiire to .50 cal.

Used to be able to buy guns and ammo in some supermarkets on the continent.

Makes you realise how controled we are.

It is the law abiding citizens that get penalised not the criminals.

come on its not that hard over here, I'm happy I can't go to Asda and buy guns and ammo, gives me a little reassurance that the rest of their customers can't. In my local one I wouldn't trust most of the customers to drive a trolley properly let alone use guns :good:

come on its not that hard over here, I'm happy I can't go to Asda and buy guns and ammo, gives me a little reassurance that the rest of their customers can't. In my local one I wouldn't trust most of the customers to drive a trolley properly let alone use guns :good:

True, it's not that hard but I doubt pigeon shooters get the armed police called on them.

If you have an export licence from the US you can.

Yes, but realistically no. Export licenses aren't cheap and not every FFL will get you one. You need to apply well ahead of time as I think it can take 3-6 months. It isn't practical unless you want a high value gun that you can't get here.

If you have a hunting license you are allowed to purchase ammunition for your use while there, but you're not allowed to bring it back with you (again without an export permit).

Thanks

Rick