Do shotgun cabinets have to be flush?

Algiz

I’m looking at getting a shotgun certificate, but I’m unsure on cabinet position, the best place i can think of is in the bedroom, with the cabinet being housed in the fitted wardrobe.

Behind the wardrobe however there is about a 2 inches gap from the wall (as in the picture)

Would they be happy if I ran the bolts though the back of the wardrobe, then into the wall? Or must the cabinet be flush?

flushd.jpg

They might think about it for a second, but to tell you the truth it will probably depend on the man on the day :)

However the advantage of flush cabinets/boxes is that tools are harder to get in behind it and pry with..also, holding it's main structure in a wardrobe might not be too good. If I was taking your cabinet the first thing I would do is destroy the wardrobe, and then slice the bolts holding it to the wall if they were accessible :stupid: ...and then open the cabinet else where :blink:

Thats the main advantage of having a cabinet flush with a solid structure, its's fixings cant be got at! :good:

Steve

Edited by stevethevanman

I’m looking at getting a shotgun certificate, but I’m unsure on cabinet position, the best place i can think of is in the bedroom, with the cabinet being housed in the fitted wardrobe.

Behind the wardrobe however there is about a 2 inches gap from the wall (as in the picture)

Would they be happy if I ran the bolts though the back of the wardrobe, then into the wall? Or must the cabinet be flush?

flushd.jpg

hey there,

i think the police may take into account that perhaps a jemmying device ( crowbar etc) may be able to be put behind the cabinet and it could possibly ( although very unlikely) be puled down. Also when the police do a house inspection they often like to pull on the cabinet to check how stable it is.

I put my cabinet in wardrobe - drew round it and cut back out - slide it to wall and bolt on. -- When he came to look at it I said ain't you going to jump on it? Will it come off?? No -- no point in jumping on it - he was quite happy because it was hidden and I have wardrobe door wired to main alarm box.

Dave

My FAO (Warwickshire) was very clear about this - no gap. He told me about a chap's cabinet that was butted up against a skirting board , and bolted to the wall with a 1/2" gap - it was rejected. Ideal position is mounted in the corner of a intenal room - out of direct line of sight from either doors or windows and with the cabinet hinges nearest the corner so as to make it as difficult as possible to attack.

I carefully cut the skirting boards in situ and bolted mine to the wall using Excalibur screw bolts - about a £1 each and absolutely no drama to install even into ash blocks. The FAO said it was an exceptionally neat job and was impressed with just how firmly the cabinet was attached - it didn't even creak when he tried to get it off the wall - he asked if I had glued it as well.....err no.....

Thanks for all the feedback :hmm:

I reckon to be on the safe side I will have a think about any other places a cabinet could go, then if needs must it looks like I will have to cut a hole.

Good point on the chipboard Dave, may be best to remove the floor in the wardrobe then add a plywood block.

Thanks for all the feedback :hmm:

I reckon to be on the safe side I will have a think about any other places a cabinet could go, then if needs must it looks like I will have to cut a hole.

Good point on the chipboard Dave, may be best to remove the floor in the wardrobe then add a plywood block.

No need to remove the base of the wardrobe provided the cabinet is bolted directly and firmly to the wall as the weight is then carried by the bolts .

Dave

My FAO (Warwickshire) was very clear about this - no gap. He told me about a chap's cabinet that was butted up against a skirting board , and bolted to the wall with a 1/2" gap - it was rejected. Ideal position is mounted in the corner of a intenal room - out of direct line of sight from either doors or windows and with the cabinet hinges nearest the corner so as to make it as difficult as possible to attack.

I carefully cut the skirting boards in situ and bolted mine to the wall using Excalibur screw bolts - about a £1 each and absolutely no drama to install even into ash blocks. The FAO said it was an exceptionally neat job and was impressed with just how firmly the cabinet was attached - it didn't even creak when he tried to get it off the wall - he asked if I had glued it as well.....err no.....

My FLO said the exact same thing to me no gap behind the cabinet to stop bars jacks etc being used