Damage to vehicles

Tony

Has anyone had trouble with vehicles being vandalised while shooting?

I know someone who recently had his car keyed while parked in a field entrance from the main road. ;) He was convinced it was OK before he parked it there. He had thoughts that maybe antis were to blame as we have had confrontations with walkers on that particular bit of land. Just the usual shouting abuse from the public footpath on the far side of the adjoining field!! This is one downside to rotors, they highlight your position very well!!

Parked cars in field entrances and shotgun noise is a good indication to non friendlys of what is going on.

As a result, we now try to get vehicles off the roadside and out of sight at all times.

I have never had a problem (touch wood), but I have wondered lately, about the wisdom of having a BASC sticker in my car.

My car is identified as belonging to a "sportsman", whether its in Sainsburys car park, or a field gate way.

I am changing my vehicle soon, I don,t think I will be transferring the sticker to the replacement. ;)

;) I couldn,t agree more Skuta, my vehicle was broken into a couple of years ago whilst parked in the gateway to a field I was shooting and even though I don,t think my BASC sticker was the reason, I still do and will continue to display it in my windscreen . :)

I don,t think that not displaying my BASC sticker is "giving in" to anyone.

Its sensibly protecting my property.

Anyway, the BASC are not the "flavour of the month" with me at present and I may not renew my subscription.

I have friends that won,t display fishing club passes on their vehicles, so as not to attract tackle thieves.

Skuta, do you HAVE to swear every time you post ?

Cranners ol chap

I think your spot on. Just cos u dont display a sticker does not mean that the "otherside" is winning. Its much the same argument about a vote not cast is a vote for the "opposition" utter rubbish.

For my sins i support my local footie team i have there badge stuck in the back of my car, If i go to an other teams ground i take the badge off me windsreen. As i say its not giving in its protecting your property.

all the best yis yp :ph34r:

I always try and park where I can keep my vehicle under observation from the hide, or alternatively, where it can be seen by others, i.e. near a farmhouse or cottage, even if it means a longer walk back.

I suppose that it is common sense really - however I would never display a BASC or CPSA car sticker, as that would be the equivalent of putting a big illuminated sign on top of the car saying "Guns & other valuables on board - please feel free to steal".

The ****** in my area get rich by thieving from such cars - don't make it any easier for them than it already is...!!! ;):) :unsure: :angry:

I must admit that I display the CA sticker in my motor.

I've never had any problems as yet (touch wood)

I always try to stay away from public roads, im lucky that most of my shooting is done on the large est were i work (6000 acres) wich have

its own private roads

;) Buzzer

Some years ago, I took a friend out lamping (on foot) I parked my car in a lay-by next to the field. On my return I found my windscreen had a brick through it, panels had been scratched and dented.

I count myself lucky that I never caught them in the act, as I would have probably ended up in the jail, and lost my firearms certificate.

(What is criminal damage, when you have just committed ABH or worse?)

Like rotors, a lamp beam gives away your location.

We all know that they are scum, but since that day I take more care where I leave my car.

;)

I know of a number of people whose cars have been vandalised or broken into in preference to others nearby not displaying BASC stickers.

The other aspect to consider is how you explain the theft of your pair of beloved matched Purdey's to your local friendly plod firearms officer, which could have been avoided had you not have been advertising their presence in the car.

I am sure that when your certificate next comes up for renewal they would still consider you a fit and proper person to hold a shotgun cert.;) :< :< :<

Cranfield what is your problem with BASC? As far as I'm concerned they are a superb organisation and certainly stand up for shooters. Possibly you havn't needed to use them in a legal capacity before in which case you probably don't realise what an influence they have.

If it wasn't for BASC I wouldn't be shooting every week. They new I was in the right on a legal matter and put the police straight, not to mention hours of advice given by friendly, like minded, knowlegable staff and legal advisers.

As for displaying car stickers, I couldn't care less if it does attract attention, maybe people will realise that I and many others are not there to be walked all over. I won't shy away from what I firmly believe in.

Supergame first off congrats on getting your name and status back. Next Well said i agree with you 100% and if someone was stupid enough to vandalise my car there wound not be a car that had a rspca sticker etc safe in the same area. I am proud to carry on the traditions of my father and his father and as long as it is my legal right, i will continue to do so with pride. God help anyone who thinks that he/she can do anything about it.

P.S. It does help that my car is worth less than £500. :ph34r:

supergame, I don,t "have a problem" with the BASC.

However, I do object to the large subscription increase last year with very little, if any reasons given.

I have posted this in Off Topic, some time ago.

If the people that vandalised and stole from vehicles, only did it when I was standing by the vehicle, with a baseball bat in my hand, not only would I have a car covered in stickers, I would leave the doors unlocked as well.

Unfortunately, those aren,t the rules.

I think the subscription is peanuts really. Like I said though I did get a lot of legal advice from them. Had I seeked advice from a solicitor I couldn't of afforded it.

I should think the subscription price is similar to insurance. Some people will benefit from BASCs service more than others, just as people do or dont from insurance policies. You never know whan you might just need them.

Just last week while out decoying i decided to park the car well back out of the gateway to avoid prying eyes. Whilst out it pee'd down and when i came to leave, the car was a little stuck. But some skill from the Paddy Hopkirk school of rally driving got me out.

Not all of us can afford 4*4's ;)

I didn't think about stickers in the car as I tend to bin them.

When I bought my first gun I was advised to join the CPSA (I only shot clays then). The guy in the shop said whatever you, DON'T put the sticker in your car window. Being a gun shop they had heard many horror stories, mainly theft.

I would like to 'fly the flag' but wouldn't relish paying for the repair of any potential damage caused as a result.

I'm lucky where i shoot i can hide my car from view.I know someone who went shooting one morning,when he returned all four of his tyres were slashed.

I had a heated conversation with a neighbour he said it was cruel to kill animals for no reason.When i explained that anything i shot was eaten by myself or someone i knew, and that if vermin wasnt controlled,our hedgerow birds would no longer be he begain to see my point.99% of shooters like to kill there prey as quickly and humanly as possible.Its the minority that spoil it for the majority and these are the ones the animal rights hear about so we all get tard with the same brush

Guest flightline

I used to display a fishing sticker and had my car scratched in a Waitrose car park in North London for my pains. I also know how angry it makes me feel when I see the anti stickers all over cars, like "I`m against hunting and I vote". It actually makes me feel like lobbing a brick through their window, especially as I know some of them would do the same to me. So far I`ve managed to resist this impulse. But if a warm hearted, law abiding, cuddly citizen like me (only joking!) can have these feelings, think what emotions must animate some of the antis. I never have BASC, shooting or game angling stickers permanently on my car now and I try to park way off roads and footpaths.Cranners and other posters are right. I`d go a long way to defend the sports I love, including civil disobedience if necessary, but why run up a big repairs bill, see your insurance go up and maybe not be able to get home because your car`s been totalled? >;) >:) >:unsure:

My dad and i get my mum to drop us off when shooting all day as once when we were driving out the field which is only used by the farmer about 4 times a year and it is very consealed.My dad was half way out when a guy started peeping and flashing and yealing got outa his car and came up to try to get into the car. He took one look at the back seat, saw the two guns and cartrige belts and legged it :) :unsure: :angry: He even let my dad out the entrance :blink: :blink: :huh:. Im gonna put my basc sticer on my motor because i would expect many people would know what the basc stands for ;)

We have only been broken into once while pigeon shooting we even saw them do it through the bino's they were to far to give chase. But we should have expected it with a travellers site just down the road.

We always display our BASC sticker in the back of our motors.