Next doors dogs!

Wesman

Alright all, need some advice from you learned lot.

I recently started my shifts working as a firefighter. I work two 10 hour day shifts and two 14 hour night shifts. The nights are hard and very busy and I need to sleep when I get home. What I've found however is next doors dogs bark constantly during the day meaning I can't sleep and be ready for night shifts.

I'm a dog lover and can put up with noise, but in around 52 hours I've had 7 hours sleep and my patience is wearing thin.

These dogs next door are never walked and ones a springer, so it has a lot of energy. What can I do about it? I've left a note for the owners to come round to my house when they're in to discuss the dogs, but I'm sick of being mr reasonable. Their dogs never shut up, the cats use my garden as a toilet and their garden is full of shog dit. Can the council or Rspca do something? All legit suggestions welcome.

A tired Wesman

They're inside the house next door. They stay in the bedroom upstairs, stand on their windowsill and bark all day. Well over 2 hours without a break now.

Can I ring environmental health even though our houses are privately owned? I thought it was only council houses.

I'm going to give them a chance, but I want to know my options if they start acting the goat

Why don't you knock on the neighbours door and talk to them before going down the EH route? I know from personal experience that you will have to keep a diary of everytime the dogs bark, and after about 6 months they will ignore you.

Your neighbours will also hate you for doing it.

It is no good sticking notes through peoples doors, it just gets their back up. Just knock on the door and ask them if they are aware their dogs bark constantly all day. They probably don't and might welcome some advice on walking them etc.

Mate, I can sympathise. I've been going through the same for three years now. Phone the council, regardless if you're in your own home, rented or whatever. They'll send a rep out who'll take notes from you and your neighbour. They generally try to find some sort of mediation between the two parties. Our neighbour didn't want to know, (my wife even offered to have it in the house with us when the owner is at work) doesn't care and was abusive. We had recording equipment installed which records the noise levels penetrating your living space. In our case the dog (springer) is locked in the kitchen for anything up to 14 hrs a day. On both occasions the recording device was installed the neighbour and dog went away for 3 days. We later found out her cousin works for the council. The noise reverberates through our chimmney breast and in particular the upstairs bedrooms. Sounds like it's in bed with us. We even tried a sonic device whic emits a high pitched noise when activated by the dogs barking. We placed it on the dividing wall outside. The end result was our two (quiet and contented) dogs were traumatised by the device - hers wasn't.

There's still no resolution, even after my email to the council last month, calmly stating that I'm a licensed gun owner and that I will, if nothing's done, shoot the dog and face the consequences.

You'll get a diary from Env. Health to fill in for when the noise is happening, they may also want to put sound monitoring equipment in your house. Once you/they've gathered sufficient evidence they'll start proceedings against the neighbours. :hmm:

You have my sympathy, although i don't work shifts i used to have a border cross out the back of me and it would bark morning, noon and night non-stop. :hmm: Not the dogs fault of course, just a$r3hole owners who bought the thing on looks/price without researching what sort of exercise regime it would need :hmm:

One of my mates has also just let his girlfriend buy a Patterdale terier as a lap dog, i tried to explain that they're working dogs and will need lots and lots of excerise but the dizzy bint took no notice ??? Whats worse though is the guy she bought it from breeds them as working dogs and he sold it to her knowing why she wanted it and that it'll be sitting in the house/garden on its own all day long :yes:

Mark

I've been knocking all week mate. When they're home I'm at work.

Left a note so they know I want to talk to them and it's pleasant. It just said I'm home tonight can you knock on when you get home. I was considering offering to walk them to tire them out. Honestly though, I'm a good neighbour and their dogs and son and his scally mates smoking drugs and throwing joint ends in my back garden mean they're not the best of neighbours. I can do things the wrong way, but I'm trying to be polite, even with no sleep.

Mate, I can sympathise. I've been going through the same for three years now. Phone the council, regardless if you're in your own home, rented or whatever. They'll send a rep out who'll take notes from you and your neighbour. They generally try to find some sort of mediation between the two parties. Our neighbour didn't want to know, (my wife even offered to have it in the house with us when the owner is at work) doesn't care and was abusive. We had recording equipment installed which records the noise levels penetrating your living space. In our case the dog (springer) is locked in the kitchen for anything up to 14 hrs a day. On both occasions the recording device was installed the neighbour and dog went away for 3 days. We later found out her cousin works for the council. The noise reverberates through our chimmney breast and in particular the upstairs bedrooms. Sounds like it's in bed with us. We even tried a sonic device whic emits a high pitched noise when activated by the dogs barking. We placed it on the dividing wall outside. The end result was our two (quiet and contented) dogs were traumatised by the device - hers wasn't.

There's still no resolution, even after my email to the council last month, calmly stating that I'm a licensed gun owner and that I will, if nothing's done, shoot the dog and face the consequences.

Bit of an idiotic thing to do by all accounts but then hey it ain't my certificate that will go.

I understand this is causing a nuisance for you (that's how the council will describe it), but i would definately go round to talk to them first.

I had someone call the council about my lab when we first got her. Whilst i appreciate she was noisy for a couple of weeks she soon clamed down, and if the person who reported us had taken the time to come and see us, we could have explained what we were doing about it (sleeping on the sofa with the back door open so we could tell her to quiet down, radio in the run etc etc etc). As it is, i'm still trying to find out who did it.

As it is, all the council will do is come round, park on the street and listen to see if they can hear it. If they can, both you and the dog owner will be asked to keep a diary of the barking for at least 2 weeks (so no short term help there), then they get compared. If the dogs have to be removed, that takes time as well. There's no quick fix for this one, but again, i'd start by talking to the owner. We even briefed out neighbours about what to shout over the fence if ours started making a noise.

AB

Edit: Just read what you have posted whilst i was writing this - seems you're doing all you can. Go for the council, it's your only option.

Edited by blackla

Bit of an idiotic thing to do by all accounts but then hey it ain't my certificate that will go.

Idiotic? Not to me it's not. At the end of the day it's a piece of paper to enable me to pursue a hobby legally. It's called 'being at the end of our tether'. I'm quite willing to lose my certificate if it means peace and quiet. Three years of near constant barking and howling. The whole family been awakened in the early hours when she's gone on the pop. Early morning alarm call every morning at 6 when she goes to work. Me electing to stay in camp on free weekends rather than go home just so I can enjoy the peace. Idiotic? Not to me.

People complained about my dogs making a noise. Thing is, i was there when the supposed noise happened.

They were saying that they would bark when I got in for half an hour, when I got in from work I change and go straight out, literally 40 secs most!

The thing is that I found out the law and saw that we couldn't get done for a couple of barks once in a while. Remember I am there when the noise happens, so I knew they were exaggerating, i personally can't bear constant barking. Now i ignore it and they can deal with it.

Go to the neighbours first, try and work it out, rather than going behind their backs and risk falling out.

We have dogs barking round us all night and no one else complains, just the cat lover next door!

Well you really are managing to show quite how unsuitable a person you are to hold a certificate anyway. So the solution to you is to break god knows how many laws because you are "AT THE END OF YOUR TETHER".

I sincerely hope that at least one FEO in the country reads this before we have another Derrick Bird or Raoul Moat on our hands because someone has lost the plot.

I find it very disturbing that you do not think that illegally shooting someones pet is not idiotic, and even more so the fact that you have written to the council saying that is what you will do.

Not really the sharpest tool in the box are we?

So these neighbours let their chavvy kids smoke dope in the garden, let their dogs bark all day, don't walk them and don't pick upu the dog ****.

Think you could be wasting ya time talking to these people, aint as though they have come round to speak after you put a note through the door.

The only thing I would ring is the owners neck, following by the chavvy kids.

A tired fireman is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Well you really are managing to show quite how unsuitable a person you are to hold a certificate anyway. So the solution to you is to break god knows how many laws because you are "AT THE END OF YOUR TETHER".

I sincerely hope that at least one FEO in the country reads this before we have another Derrick Bird or Raoul Moat on our hands because someone has lost the plot.

I find it very disturbing that you do not think that illegally shooting someones pet is not idiotic, and even more so the fact that you have written to the council saying that is what you will do.

Not really the sharpest tool in the box are we?

My intelligence is ok thanks for asking. Let the FEO's look all they want. All the normal channels have been exhausted. It's a springer not a taxi driver. Preach all you want. Like I said, it's been 3 years of constant noise. Try it, your perspective will soon change.

Let me just clarify, I got home from a 15 hour shift at 9am and they appear to have been quiet now for 20 minutes. Well over 3 hours of constant barking from 2 dogs when I've been out all night the last 2 nights is hard to stick. It has been this way for maybe 2 years but it's affecting me now because I'm at home in the day. The neighbours are fully aware because they scream at the dogs on weekend days to shut up.

Just to add, as I was writing this, the windowcleaner has turned up and they're going ape again.

So these neighbours let their chavvy kids smoke dope in the garden, let their dogs bark all day, don't walk them and don't pick upu the dog ****.

Think you could be wasting ya time talking to these people, aint as though they have come round to speak after you put a note through the door.

The only thing I would ring is the owners neck, following by the chavvy kids.

A tired fireman is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

exactly mate, but I have a young family and I'm away at nights now. I wouldn't want to get physical and have them start messing about when I'm not there. I'm a big lad and do a lot of martial arts, but my mrs and children are vulnerable when I'm away.

I'm so tired I feel physically sick. Anyone got a couch going spare this arvo?

Hi Wesmen

Can they not let the dogs out in the garden during the day, instead of being shut up in a bedroom, if i have read your post correctly.

I have a neighbour a couple of doors down the one who i think reported me to the RSPCA for having 4 dogs......and her bloody dogs bark constantly well every time i walk in to my garden....and she asks me if the dogs have been noisey so i tell her straight...but at least they have the run of the kitchen and garden when she is at work....

Trouble is one dog starts barking so the others will follow.....best to try to have a chat with them but if they are not about during the day i doubt if they will worry to much about the barking unless a few neighbours get together to complain to them about it

but good luck, it drives me around the bend especially when you keep your own dogs quiet

the house next door to me is owened by the council when the previous tennats were there no problems, it was empty for a few months then a family moved in. from what I found out it is temporary accomodation as the house they owned had flooded. when they first moved in there were parties every night till about 4am this resulted in me having words with them and basicly being told to f off, so complaints were made to the council who did ****** all. then around nov last year they came home with a dog some sort of mastiff that was just left in the back garden barking constantly day and night more words exchanged more complaints to the council still ****** all done! enviromental health weren't interested they said to contact the council as it was there property.

in june this year they moved out as the repairs to there house had been completed so a happy ending or so I thought.

the problem is they havent handed the house back to the council for the last 2 months the dog reappears on a friday dumped in the back yard and collected on a sunday even though no one is in the house more complaints falling on deaf ears.

after getting home from work friday I was greeted by the mutt barking so spent all weekend away when i got home late sunday afternoon i saw the dog out on the street. I was asked if I knew who's dog it was by a women up the road to whom I told the story to after which she got a lead put it in her car and took it to the pound. No doubt I will be blamed by the neighbours for this if and when they turn up for it. the women who took it to the pound has been back in touch to tell me if it reappears to let her know as she has a friend who will rehome it away from the area.

when they were at there best I was getting on average 2-3 hours of sleep a night and have video evidence of the parties and the dog barking all hours but the powers that be aint interested.

hope you get it sorted with your neighbours dog but if your council is anything like mine dont depend on it