Delhi - Two weeks in

AVB

Well what can I say......

It is a total utter shambles. You've seen in the press the problems with the CWG. Well that is just endemic across India as a whole. I work for a Bank. Now some of you may say it's a pretty rubbish Bank but we are a Bank and you would expect the process of creating an account for a member of satff (me), and paying him (me) to be pretty simple. Oh no. Two weeks on account still not set up and therefore no money. Although I do have a cheque for 1mln rupees just nowhere to but the damn thing. I have resorted to shouting to people loudly and just saying "do you know who I am" again and again. A prima donna I know but it helps things along but not much. Still no mobile phone and even a good friend of mine who is very senior at Vodafone in the UK has been unable to help.

There is absolutley no accountability or ownership. Eveybody just points at somebody else and blames them.

From what I have seen with regard to how things happen over here I would say that the country is doomed. It will never get itself out of this mess.

Oh and to cap it all the company has just classified India as a high risk country so no travel in or out and we go into lockdown.

At least the rain has stopped and the sun is out today!

Have a good weekend. I'm resorting to drink (if I had any money to buy any!)

Andrew

The mind boggles at just how bad things would be if the country had not benefitted from colonialism. The CWG's was also going to elevate security issues at this time.

FWIW - I am currently in the South of France, the government here are also suggesting heightened terrorist threats but most people believe it's spin to deflect attention from current industrial action.

I know you can't send money out of India with Western Union but you can send it in - possibly an option if you get real stuck.

Despite saying in a plush (bit OTT to be honest) hotel they don't have any money exchange facilities and I was told I need to go to Antibes or Cannes to change sterling to euro.

Hope things improve for you.

A friend of mine has just moved out to Delhi as his wife is on a three year posting. I think there are two or three kids as well. All went well to begin with but there have been some very frustrating teething troubles. Worse thing so far is she got Dengue Fever, so they are paranoid about keeping the mozzies away from the kids.

Just got in. To cap it all my driver gave me a hand written contract detailing his demands. More money for this, more money for that, annual bonus (**** me even drivers are on the bonus game!) etc. Even had space for me to sin (sic) at the bottom. Apparently it's because I'm new and have mug written on my head. :good::stupid:

And I'm sure my son just spoke to me while wobbling his head.

Just got in. To cap it all my driver gave me a hand written contract detailing his demands. More money for this, more money for that, annual bonus (**** me even drivers are on the bonus game!) etc. Even had space for me to sin (sic) at the bottom. Apparently it's because I'm new and have mug written on my head. :good::huh:

And I'm sure my son just spoke to me while wobbling his head.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Comedy gold that pal :blush: my jaw is aching so ******* much now. Im laughing by myself in the office.

The mind boggles at just how bad things would be if the country had not benefitted from colonialism. The CWG's was also going to elevate security issues at this time.

FWIW - I am currently in the South of France, the government here are also suggesting heightened terrorist threats but most people believe it's spin to deflect attention from current industrial action.

I know you can't send money out of India with Western Union but you can send it in - possibly an option if you get real stuck.

Despite saying in a plush (bit OTT to be honest) hotel they don't have any money exchange facilities and I was told I need to go to Antibes or Cannes to change sterling to euro.

Hope things improve for you.

India was the fourth largest economy in the world before we decided to take over and **** everything up. Colonialism only benefits one side of the deal.

Colonialism only benefits one side of the deal.

That's right, India gained nothing from us apart from their transport and telecomunications infrastructure, education, health and justice systems. All of which are still in use today.

Strange also that since their independance in 1947 they have remained linked to Britain through the Commonwealth. As indeed have nearly all ex colonised states.

Not quite the one way street you would have us all believe.

That's right, India gained nothing from us apart from their transport and telecomunications infrastructure, education, health and justice systems. All of which are still in use today.

Strange also that since their independance in 1947 they have remained linked to Britain through the Commonwealth. As indeed have nearly all ex colonised states.

Thats right. Imposing a feudal type system on the country really helped it develop. The only reason the British developed Inida's transport and communications systems was to help exploit the country even more. We began sticking our nose in in 1613 hence why they were developed by us. Had we left India to it they would have sorted things out themselves. As for Indian health and education, they sure are shining examples!!!

As an example it is estimated that the wealth of India in 1600 was about £17 million, Britiain was worth about £16 million at that time. When we finally gave them independence in 1947 they were destined to flounder as we had exploited them for all they were worth. As for the commonwealth what exactly does India get out of it? We obviously get lots of nice cheap labour and a few doctors etc.

Edited by fortune82

And the Aqueduct, irrigation, Sanitation, Roads...... :good:

But apart from that, what have the Romans every done for us?

india would be better off if it was still under british rule.

Sure they would! Thats why their economy has continued to expand at a rate of around 6% for the last few years whilst ours has been in decline.

Countries dont form empires to help out other countries. If we really wanted to help India why did we impose a feudal system on them?

Well what can I say......

It is a total utter shambles. You've seen in the press the problems with the CWG. Well that is just endemic across India as a whole. I work for a Bank. Now some of you may say it's a pretty rubbish Bank but we are a Bank and you would expect the process of creating an account for a member of satff (me), and paying him (me) to be pretty simple. Oh no. Two weeks on account still not set up and therefore no money. Although I do have a cheque for 1mln rupees just nowhere to but the damn thing. I have resorted to shouting to people loudly and just saying "do you know who I am" again and again. A prima donna I know but it helps things along but not much. Still no mobile phone and even a good friend of mine who is very senior at Vodafone in the UK has been unable to help.

There is absolutley no accountability or ownership. Eveybody just points at somebody else and blames them.

From what I have seen with regard to how things happen over here I would say that the country is doomed. It will never get itself out of this mess.

Oh and to cap it all the company has just classified India as a high risk country so no travel in or out and we go into lockdown.

At least the rain has stopped and the sun is out today!

Have a good weekend. I'm resorting to drink (if I had any money to buy any!)

Andrew

India is a country of 1.2 billion people and there can indeed be glitches. However, what you are ignoring is the awesome rate of progress as in the rising GDP and value for money you get. My phone 3 was charging me GBP 1.50 for a minute and a local chip I put in allowed me to make 1/2 hr call for the same amount. India is producing 2 million graduates each year and indeed, a third of the NHS doctors come from the subcontinent! India would be an economic superpower (top 3 after US and China) by 2020, just like it was one of the richest country before the plundering by the Mughals and then by the colonial rule! :hmm:

Edited by Ashbiker