Ferretting taster days whats your thoughts

I though £50 was cheap myself if I had one adult a day I would be on less than the min wage per hour let alone providing a lunch .

This would be a income not a top up hobbie cash in the hand venture it seems strange that other things like deer stalking commands such prices yet a days ferretting is seen in this way.

Cheers for your thoughts as well OTH

£50 a day is naff all compared to some of the offers on here, ok it's only ferreting but it has its appeal, and what does £50 get you these days? a night down the pub?

I haven't read all of the replies but i can imagine what a few of them are like, personally i wish you all the best :good:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My comments apply to this thread as I probably wouldn't bat an eyelid if someone offered a free day even though I knew they usually charged. The problem here is that a free day is being offered in the same thread which is asking for £50 for a days ferreting.

Whilst OTH is trying to defend his corner about charging £50 for newbie ferreting days, in the same thread he's offering a free day to someone (was it you?) who's never been. Would you not feel a bit upset if I was selling shotguns in a thread for £50 and you bought one, and then openly said I'd give one away for free to someone?

I just feel that doing something like that, in the same thread, is just like giving one almighty middle finger to those willing to fork out for the experience.

Why if I was going to offer this service the offer is plain and open I would rather be straight and up front with clients that others get this for free.

The same if I was a mechanic customers would not stop using me because I serviced my wifes car or friends car for free .

I can offer a friend a day out for free and dont mind it being in the open air for all to see too many pepole mess about .

It would seem to appear I have pushed your buttons for one reason or another which if I have I am sorry and we will have to disagree on the subJect.

Cheers OTH

It would seem to appear I have pushed your buttons for one reason or another which if I have I am sorry and we will have to disagree on the subJect.

Cheers OTH

At the end of the day, everyone disagrees on one thing or another. I don't try to fall out with people on here and nor do I want to.

:good:

Edited by Billy.

Fifty quid shotgun analogy? If id bought something for a price that seemed fair to me and they decided to give it away to someone else so what? As long as I thought the price I'd paid was reasonable, why should I object to a subsequent act of altruism whatever the motive?

"was it me"? You ask. Nor sure what you're getting at, but I've never met OTH or had a thing from him. I would however happily accept his hospitality and/or make a contribution.

Not sure why you've got the daggers out for him?

Edited by Blunderbuss

Fifty quid shotgun analogy? If id bought something for a price that seemed fair to me and they decided to give it away to someone else so what? As long as I thought the price I'd paid was reasonable, why should I object to a subsequent act of altruism whatever the motive?

"was it me"? You ask. Nor sure what you're getting at, but I've never met OTH or had a thing from him. I would however happily accept his hospitality and/or make a contribution.

Not sure why you've for the daggers out for him?

The 'was it you' was me trying to remember if it was you who OTH said can come ferreting for free, whilst replying to the message, but I didn't want to click back and risk losing what I'd typed (Could have copied, pasted, but that's effort)

It's a thread which has become a heavy debate. Some debated the price, some debated other stuff. I put my points forward because I had a view. I'm not playing 'tough guy' here, because we all know what that means:

Internet-Warrior.jpg

Oh and sorry about the awful shotgun analogy. Best I could think of :good:

Edited by Billy.

Not sure why you've got the daggers out for him?

Bluderbuss it maybe in the other thread in ref to paying for shooting where Billy thought guides are theifing barstwards for earning 24 k a year .

I thought was a bit rich coming froma guy with 2005 landrover defender and recently blowing £650 on mods pointed to me his income must be near or above 24k.

So it could be that Cheers OTH

Right seems as though i started this i better make my thoughts clear :yes:

I have turned down land to shoot on in the past as i will in the future im sure as i cannot do it justice , i have also taken out many :yes: even clay shooters that have never done any live shooting before , just to show them the other side .

Did i charge them no i done it to see there reaction which was priceless :good:

If you have so much land that you cannot manage why not give it to someone less fortunate ?

If time's are hard then fair enough ? if you get the custom ??? but for vermin :yes: yes i no there classed as ground game but only if poaching :lol:

A few on here have returned the favour for me taking them out but it's not about that is it :yes: it's about getting a newbie into the sport .

Made some good friends on here from this that money couldn't buy :yes:

As for the £50 that's alot to sum on here im sure :lol:

Ps , original post was not aimed at OTH only there seems to be alot on here of late that wants to make a few £££££££££££££££s

Its because we have had contact before and I was feeling out the reaction to offering this service.

Its called if you treat somebody right you may well end up with something in return .

Some of the replys on this forum and not just on this subject does not inspire you to share you shooting etc.

Kind regards OTH

In fairness, there is a lot of difference in "sharing" shooting/ferreting, or even "swopping" shooting/ferreting than in "selling" shooting/ferreting.

Ive been doing this all wrong by the look of it as when Ive taken people ferreting off here I provided cartridges and coffee as they were doing me a favour!!

OTH if you have not got enough work on go for it although if you are being paid to clear the rabbits I think its a bit much.

cheers john

I tried a similar thing a month or so ago on this very forum :yes:

I was intending to take out newbies with my 12 bore shotgun, 17 HMR & 223 Howa- just for new shooters to get a feel of Rifles pre FAC application etc- shooting Rabbit and Fox-& some Pigeons I intended to throw in a packed lunch and 50 rounds of HMR 10 rounds of 223 and a wander around my extensive land and use of my rifles & shotgun + Hide, decoys - fuel etc etc

I got shot down BIG TIME by some members on here- :good:???

so I decided not to pursue it- not worth the bad feeling it seemed to generate in my opinion, although my charge of £30 would only cover Lunch, 12 bore cartridges Rimfire/Centre Fire ammo and my time of course- Im retired now (55) so have lots of spare time on my hands and Oh so much land

If you can get people to pay to learn how to Ferret, then I say go for it :yes:

Good luck

Les :yes:

Edited by Lez325

I tried a similar thing a month or so ago on this very forum :oops:

I was intending to take out newbies with my 12 bore shotgun, 17 HMR & 223 Howa- just for new shooters to get a feel of Rifles pre FAC application etc- shooting Rabbit and Fox-& some Pigeons I intended to throw in a packed lunch and 50 rounds of HMR 10 rounds of 223 and a wander around my extensive land and use of my rifles & shotgun + Hide, decoys - fuel etc etc

I got shot down BIG TIME by some members on here- :good::lol:

so I decided not to pursue it- not worth the bad feeling it seemed to generate in my opinion, although my charge of £30 would only cover Lunch, 12 bore cartridges Rimfire/Centre Fire ammo and my time of course- Im retired now (55) so have lots of spare time on my hands and Oh so much land

If you can get people to pay to learn how to Ferret, then I say go for it :yes:

Good luck

Les :D

And i agree with Lez,if people are interested they will pay :yes: i would much sooner pay £50 for a productive day ferreting,than £80-£100 a day for pigeon shooting,to fire 2 shells due to it been shot out over previous days :yes: (and we all know some pigeon guides operate this system)

And for new members thinking of taking up ferreting,whats better than a hands on day,from someone with experience :yes:

I reckon OTH deserves a chance,and not to be shot down on the first pass :yes: too many Negative posts,the bottom line gents is,if your interested PM him and arrange a day, if not leave it too the people who are :good: BB

I am pleased as whole with the replies to my question.

It has highlighted a few problems.

The main thing is if I offered my time and effort for FREE there would be a mass of PMs from alot of PW members.

But the whole payment thing seems to turn members opinions to I would not pay for that but I would be happy to rock over your gaff and us my land I have sort for FREE.

So like like Lez I will select a few I have had contact with before any of posts regarding offer paid day days out.

The offer to the few where a token of friendship .

The main thing about charging for the days would it would a form of INCOME.

And of course Jonny rabbits needed to be found just like pigeons still got to drive to site pay for ferret found we have 24 ferts which you would need that sort of numbers to offer quality paid days out.

I give up good luck boys with searching for that elusive thing called permission I will jsut carry on on my todd.

Cheers OTH

I have chosen not to get involved in this as whatever I say could get taken the wrong way by someone or other. All that I will say is that if OTH believes that he has enough experience and knowledge to be able to help and educate others then good luck to him and to charge for that is entirely up to him, the same applies to the amount he charges. No one is going to force anyone to take up his offer are they?

The only other thing I will add is in reply to one of the earlier posts on here asking about if people take people out for free - I have taken a couple of people out for the odd day or two that have asked if I would be willing to help them to learn a little about fieldcraft and I have taught them as best I can. I have now taken a young lad "under my wing" who wants to gain experience before he decides if he wants to put in for his FAC or not. This is done free of charge but on the understanding that it is not an open invitation to shoot on my permissions.

I do find it also strange that others find it awful for a person to charge for a service like and charge £50.

But are quite willing to bang kids out and receive child benefit £18 a week and think thats fine yet me or another charge for taking somebody out for a days feretting is awful.

I think whats awful is I have to sub others kids some of my £50 would go back in taxes to fund them for you.

Cheers OTH

Edited by Over the hill

cant understand why you would want to bring kids into this discussion

All I trying to say is some are saying its awful to expect payment for a days work eg£50.

But some of the knockers of my idear do have children I would guess and its a pure guess bar one Iknow has a boy.

Happly claim the £18 a week for child benefit for not doing a stroke of work for that £18 at least I would being somethink for my £18 extra income .

Maybe its not coming accross that well on the internet.

Cheers OTH

Edited by Over the hill

I dont know i dont think this is to bad, if its something you are interested in getting into or just something you wouldnt mind giving a try....even a nice birthday or xmas pressie from the other half.

go for it OTH what have you got to lose mate :good:

really though its going to be more then 50 pound for the person. as not all people that want to go is going to live in your area. they will have travel costs. so i cant see this as a income for you.

ferreting isnt really a season thing to. most people only really ferret in winter months due to when the rabbits are breeding and have young you get alot of ferrets lay up on killed young.

of course a pest controler getting paid it wouldnt matter but most ferreters who do it for there sport dont ferret in the summer months

Just curious here OTH.

do you have any formal qualifications shooting wise or are you experienced by time in the field

please.

If the later how long have you been doing this for.

Mark probley best to a look at my profile to give you a idear of my life history one of the more detailed ones on PW.

Cheers OTH

Thanks o t h.

You may not like em, and iam not looking for a barny.

But offers like this come up every few months on the forum.

bloke has loads of land he shoots,loads of posts about good days.

sees an opening to make a few bob, try,s it on.

A good few professionals on here, have been for a while.

good rep,good days for the lads, no bother.

if you intend to try to make a living out of it you have loads of competition, and will find it hard.

if its just to supplement your income, i think you will find it harder.

learn to walk first comes to mind.

and dont take that the wrong way.

Edited by markbivvy