Handgun for humane dispatch

njc110381

I dunno, maybe it comes with a really cool shoulder holster or something?

In all seriousness, unless you are full time in pest control or humane dispatch then I do think plod will encourage you to get a .410 and thereafter your name will go on their "special" list of people likely to have a knife collection and sleep with a Webley Tempest under their pillow.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You say that but what apache posted would be fine for me. How often do you need a semi auto with 8+ rounds in it to dispatch a Fox? I was thinking .32 or .380 would be about the right size too.

Keep it in mind that it will never be seen by anyone but myself and the people I do the dispatch for. That's the whole point of wanting one so it doesn't matter if it looks "well gay". If asking for a "well gay" gun means I can have one rather than asking for a Glock 18 and getting told to forget it then in my mind that's just what I need!

Ooooo, an invitation to a slide bite party. :hmm: Thanks for the offer. :hmm:

You wouldn't happen to have a S&W686 or a .45acp Sig P220 or a 9mm CZ85 by any chance? :rolleyes:

Nope, but i've got an S&W 629 .44 magnum, a Colt Combat Commander .45 ACP, and a Glock 19.

Plus an AK-47, 2 AR-15's, a Mini 14, and an Enfield just to name a few.

Personally I'd go down the mungler route with a .410 with folding stock. I could beat that picture for gayness apache if I could find a picture of what my dad used to use. Used to be a short barrel with a lump of brass on the bottom, you loaded the round screwed on a cap with a firing pin in the middle and hit it with a wooden mallet :hmm:

Tarmac it was fine but one day in town with plod there he hit a kerbstone after going through a muntjac and that whistled away across Hitchin town centre at 6am :rolleyes: It was also dodgy in stables etc with a shotgun you don't have the issue but hey we all know why you really want one.

You say that but what apache posted would be fine for me. How often do you need a semi auto with 8+ rounds in it to dispatch a Fox? I was thinking .32 or .380 would be about the right size too.

Keep it in mind that it will never be seen by anyone but myself and the people I do the dispatch for. That's the whole point of wanting one so it doesn't matter if it looks "well gay". If asking for a "well gay" gun means I can have one rather than asking for a Glock 18 and getting told to forget it then in my mind that's just what I need!

ure a bit confused there nic I fear,semi auto pistols for humane dispatch are mag restricted to 2 shots,yes one in the chamber,one in the mag. No force in the uk will give a 8+ magazine fed pistol out to anyone. Which is a little weird as the taurus judge can hold more than 2.I suppose it is a shotgun essentially.

being a full time pestie too, I looked into this as well, but opted for the easier pedretti hushpower 410 route, its fully folding, and fits into a discreet oblong holder (made by wife) that looks nothing like a gun case/slip, as a humaine dispatch tool, its the mutts nutts, using 2 1/2" eley sub sonics, cage caught foxes are dispatched on site, very quite little gun,

if its only use is for cage caught foxes, Id say go with a 410, as it can be slid through the mesh of the cage trap, to within 1/2" from foxes skull, pointed downwards (make sure grass and NOT concrete underneath) and fired, the load does not have time or distance to expand like normal shot, and therefore hits the skull as a solid mass, entry hole around 5p size, have never had it exit, normally just a golf ball size mass/lump in bottom of jaw, instant kill

weigh that up with a pistol, that would need to be aimed/held, outside of cage, surely theres a chance of error there, :santa:

post-3731-1288168709.jpg

Not sure what you mean by "we all know why you really want one"? To dispatch Foxes, which I do pretty regularly?

the same reason you have a combi gun and some massive calibers that aren't entirely practical :santa: because you want one rather than really need one.

Most keepers who despatch foxes have techniques that don't involve guns might be worth looking into these as well, the .410 is ideal or even a short barreled .22lr humane killer will do the job. One thing with anything that looks and behaves like a handgun is that safe keeping of it becomes a lot more important as the police really hate them going missing. A knackerman had one stolen near me and despite it being in his lorry cab while he was assesing the situation before destroying a horse he had no end of trouble when it got stolen.

ure a bit confused there nic I fear,semi auto pistols for humane dispatch are mag restricted to 2 shots,yes one in the chamber,one in the mag. No force in the uk will give a 8+ magazine fed pistol out to anyone. Which is a little weird as the taurus judge can hold more than 2.I suppose it is a shotgun essentially.

I was joking fella. Just because of all the suggestions being posted here really. :santa:

EDIT.... I don't know what you mean Al4x?! Ok the .338 is a bit on the big side but it will get used, and for the species it was designed for now and again too. You have to keep in mind that you can only shoot Canada as a non resident every three years, and money is too tight for regular trips elsewhere at the moment. It's a good Boar calibre and large Deer calibre too, just a little unusual.

The combi gun is far from impractical, in fact it comes out with me at least once a week on a permission I have that is hard to work without it. The range you can shoot Deer at with open sights isn't much more than you could shoot one with a shotgun but at this place they pop up regularly. I can take Squirrels, Pheasants and other birds and Deer all with the same gun and I never really know which I'm going to stumble into on the day. One thing's for sure every time I take a double 12 to shoot Pigeons I see a Deer and if I take a rifle for long range Deer I see Squirrels all over the place. It's like they know what I'm carrying! If I had to thin my collection down for any reason the combi would be one of the last to go. :xmas:

Edited by njc110381

I was joking fella. Just because of all the suggestions being posted here really. :santa:
nic don't feel I was having a go,just touching base with u,is all. No matter what method used by people for fox dispach,whilst stalking,people can't carry around a .410 just in case they need to dispatch deer,hence the pistol is needed,and prob needed by people on occasion out in the field for fox. .....in some euro countries the carrying of a pistol as a dispatch. "Back up" is compulsory,germany I think is one,and its certainly common place in the U.S.

nic don't feel I was having a go,just touching base with u,is all. No matter what method used by people for fox dispach,whilst stalking,people can't carry around a .410 just in case they need to dispatch deer,hence the pistol is needed,and prob needed by people on occasion out in the field for fox. .....in some euro countries the carrying of a pistol as a dispatch. "Back up" is compulsory,germany I think is one,and its certainly common place in the U.S.

I always carry my pistol on me while hunting. Not to look tough or anything like that, but because there's a chance i'll need it. Last year I had to finish off a button buck my brother in law shot. And .40 caliber is very good for dispatch.

Forgot to mention at the end of my last post....the SRA member of staff who took the police to court over their refusal to grant him a .44 mag' for humane despatch,won his case.As he already owned a .357 this was one helluva result.The sra certainly have 'balls' for being such a small organisation.Some of our mainstream organisations could learn from them.

I think a handgun is a perfectly reasonable dispatch tool. You of course don't need many shots, perhaps one or better still two just in case the first fails. I'm sure a single shot break action could be reloaded fairly quickly if it came to it so the second shot wouldn't be essential.

I don't understand why some see this as an attempt to get something that isn't common for the sake of bragging purposes? It can be argued all day long but when it comes to the crunch in a populated area that could be sensitive to having firearms waved about, a pistol will always be better than a shotgun or rifle.

I think a handgun is a perfectly reasonable dispatch tool. You of course don't need many shots, perhaps one or better still two just in case the first fails. I'm sure a single shot break action could be reloaded fairly quickly if it came to it so the second shot wouldn't be essential.

But how could you re-create scenes from the Deer Hunter with a single shot break action pistol?

Surely that's a good enough reason alone to put down on the variation?

I used to have a few pistols before they got taken from us. .22, .38 and.32/7-65mm.

I was allowed to keep the .32 for humane despatch which I thought strange until the FEO pointed out that you probably will find .22 ammo in any dark corner of a gamekeepers truck or rabbit shooters vehicle even if you shouldn't but .32 ammo will be a lot harder to source illegally.

I found the .32 would deal with anything, wild or domestic. It is far easier to humanely despatch something with the pistol than it is with any long barreled gun.

Definitely needs a soft earth backdrop as mentioned, its a big lump to be ricocheting about the place and they ricochet very, very well indeed.

A colleague used a poor choice of backstop on a Tup and paid the price. Held its head down with a foot on the back of its neck, shame his other foot was under its throat and he shot his big toe. Very poor backstop.

A colleague used a poor choice of backstop on a Tup and paid the price. Held its head down with a foot on the back of its neck, shame his other foot was under its throat and he shot his big toe. Very poor backstop.

I'm sorry. I shouldn't laugh but that's just silly! :blush::yes::hmm: