Handgun for humane dispatch

njc110381

I've just been out to dispatch my third Fox in just over a week. All have been caught right in the middle of town with very restricted parking. I've had to walk for 100 yards or so with my rifle slung over my shoulder (in a bag of course) and each time have had some very strange looks!

As I'm getting more and more calls for this kind of work and getting my name known I'm wondering what are the chances of getting a handgun for this task? I don't need anything macho like the PPK listed on Guntrader and just a break action single shot would do the deed if it would make the application sit better with the police?. I would want/need it to be moderated for the areas I tend to work in.

I've never really taken an interest in this sort of thing before but it would be very handy for me so I was wondering how many of you have a handgun for this task and also what you have? From reading through the basic legal stuff .32 seems to be the base calibre so what guns can you get in this chambering? I know of .32ACP but assume there are other rimmed cartridges too? I don't need a big boomer like a .38/.357 or a .44 because the biggest animal I am ever likely to need to dispatch in urban areas is a Roe Deer. If I get called out to a Bull on a farm I can just as easily use a rifle or shotgun. A .22 would do for Foxes but maybe not Deer at pistol velocities?

So... Has anyone got any advice as to how I should go about this? I intend to e-mail my FEO for his input but would like some basic knowledge of the calibres and guns available so I don't end up going for something I'll struggle to get hold of or wont be any good!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will be putting in the red light bulbs at your licensing authority and ringing a bell when you stick in that variation :blink:

I thought that a .410 folding poachers gun with No 6 shot from about a foot away will take care of anything that needs dispatching. Mind you it's not as sexy as packing a piece is it? :oops:

Let us know how you get on.

I couldn't see 'People give me funny looks when I walk down the street with my rifle' as being a valid reason to apply for one. As for getting it moderated, good luck. We're still allowed handguns over here thankfully, but moderators are a big no no. It'll be interesting to see what way it pans out for you :rolleyes:

yeah, section 5 innit, prob ably dependant on your local forces views on them, shame really cos theyre quite useful.

gram is right,local force,diffrent takes,thames vally like u to have a .380, avon and som like the 9mm,kent apprently like a .32 acp or 7.65mm, dorset dont like to give them at all,and apprently im not 100% but i heard that nothumbria wont give them outat all. how easy? it varies also,5 year stalking experience with regular kills you would think would be ok,but not so apperently with some forces,land owners who have livestock seem to be able to circumvent any kind of experience limits but not all. ide ask for one but dont want an official refusal on my record.......... which seems farcicle as why would you need one if uve been not needing one all this time. i know a guy whos got a taurus judge,hes got it for working in an orchard for squirrell!! then theres all the guys out there with personall defence pistols,65k last count,ex mps ex politicians,ni police etc etc,but carring in public is only licensed for about 8k i heard. where were these guys when roal moat was around!!

You could try the Shooters Rights Association.I was once a member when I owned pistols.I think one of it's staff (seem to recall it was in'Sporting Rifle' magazine)recently went to court after his local polioce force turned down his .44 mag' application.He already had a .357 mag.Both were to be used for humane despatch.

You could try the Shooters Rights Association.I was once a member when I owned pistols.I think one of it's staff (seem to recall it was in'Sporting Rifle' magazine)recently went to court after his local polioce force turned down his .44 mag' application.He already had a .357 mag.Both were to be used for humane despatch.

i was a member too,top guys.

I've just been out to dispatch my third Fox in just over a week. All have been caught right in the middle of town with very restricted parking. I've had to walk for 100 yards or so with my rifle slung over my shoulder (in a bag of course) and each time have had some very strange looks!

Why not get a rigid gun case or even something like an old guitar case? How about a silenced .410? What rifle are you using - the .22RF? I am told you can dispatch a fox at point blank range with a 12f/lb air rifle. A built up area is not a good place to be discharging any kind of rifle/pistol.

I've never really taken an interest in this sort of thing before but it would be very handy for me so I was wondering how many of you have a handgun for this task and also what you have? From reading through the basic legal stuff .32 seems to be the base calibre so what guns can you get in this chambering?

I have a free bullet humane killer. It's a .32 S&W long single shot. Looks exactly like this:

CASH1.jpg

In my capacity as a vet it was so straightforward to get, just as simple as the rimfires. Just on a standard section 1 FAC, no special paperwork. If I did any racecourse work I could have had a moderator, but we don't. It's a jockey club rule that a silencer must be used on a racecourse but there's still a fair crack.

As a vet some animals I shoot may enter the food chain and therefore I have my need. I can see a deerstalker using one in undergrowth has an advantage over a long rifle. I'm not convinced you can prove a 'need'.

Have a chat to your shooting organisation and FLO. Let us know how you get on.