Woopee!!!! New .243 on order!

Frenchieboy

I've been given the go ahead from my Firearms Office to put in for a Variation/One for One swapping my .222 for a .243 to be used for Foxes and Deer and I am over the moon! :blink: :lol::lol:

I have found what I think is a real bargain and put a deposit down to secure it before any of you toerags could beat me to it )Only Joking about you lot being Toe Rags, lol)

The Rifle spec is as follow:

Licence: Firearm,

Barrel: 22"

Serial #: W85399

A 243" Bolt Action Rifle Built on a P14 Action with a New Satin Chrome Barrel. This rifle has been very well put together, glass bed action, high quality barrel. The action is fitted with scope blocks. Excellent value for money.

The story behind the rifle is that it was being built for a customer but on completion the customer lost his FAC. Therefore the rifle came up for sale at an extremely low price just to cover the costs of the new barrel.

With this in mind it is going to have to be "Run and Bedded In" just as you would have to with a completely new rifle. This is the only way that I could have afforder to get a rifle that is as good as new.

Have a look and let me know what you think - All I will say is that the rifle is costing me under £200 and am I happy, you bet I am!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

post-17172-1288607194.jpg

post-17172-1288607208.jpg

post-17172-1288607217.jpg

pete you jammie ****er you beat me to it mine is going in next weekfor 243. nice gun there too top price.

did you get fox easy on 243???

I've been speaking to my Firearms Office this morning and they have said "Fox - No Problem and Deer - No Problem"! (Most of my land is passed for up to .270, I don't know if that makes any difference)

Edited by Frenchieboy

So you've pretty much got a semi-custom rifle with a new barrel for under £200? Jammie is certainly the word!

I'm keen to see how you get on with this. One thing's for sure you'll find ammo choice an interesting challenge if you're shooting Foxes and Deer with it. I'm trying to find a bullet for both to use in my .243 at the moment and I have to say it's quite a task! There's plenty available for the .243 but finding something with the right mixture of speed for Foxes and controlled expansion for Deer narrows it right down. I think I'm going to try Speer 85grn SP.

One thing's for sure, I want to see a video when you go out with it! :blink:

Pete, I'll have to agree with all the other posts..."Yer a jammy so and so".....what a bargain... :blink: Have fun with it...:lol:

I recently got offered a .243 Browning A bolt for £100, but the guy couldnt hold onto it till my variation came in...:lol: Still happy with the .222 tho...:lol:

There's plenty available for the .243 but finding something with the right mixture of speed for Foxes and controlled expansion for Deer narrows it right down. I think I'm going to try Speer 85grn SP.

I've yet to see a 100 gr SP bounce off a Fox! Get the best round for deer, the foxes won't mind.

True Magman, it isn't threaded (Yet) but I can get David Mercer (DM80 Moderators) to thread and recrown it for me and then build a moderator. But that can wait for a while till I can afford to spend some extra money on it, can't it! For the time being I will be more than happy to get the gun and spend time breaking the barrel in and setting it all up to suit me. Being as I am likely to be very much like a kid with a new toy that will be expensive enough on it's own!

I will certainly try Lez. It's a bit bigger and louder than the .222 so even if I don't hit the little bu**ers I will certainly frighted them to death! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You take care mate! :yes:

Oh will be a tad louder Pete- and without a mod- it will make your ears bleed lol :good::good::good::yes:

Good hunting with it - look forward to seeing some glowing reports in due course

Les :yes:

looks good, not to sound pesimistic or anything but I take it you know twist rate and the spec on the barrel as even for a bog standard new barrel that is very cheap

Not sure on that one mate but it would only take a phone call to find out. I am sure I will know soon enough. Basically all they wanted to do was to recover "some" of the money the rifle owed them which is why it was so cheap!

its worth checking just so you know it will fire a decent weight of bullet ok, it is a lot of agro buying a rifle and finding its not ideal for you and flogging it on etc if its close enough shooting it as well wouldn't be a bad idea

Edited by al4x