How much to charge

rimfire4969

I am a member of a small shoot in Cornwall, we put about 350 birds down and shoot about 10 days a season. We have been asked to sell some shooting. Basicly 4 guys would join us on one of our days. We walk one, shoot one, the paying guns would only shoot and not do the walking bit and we supply a pasty and pint for lunch. There are 7 guns at the moment and we all work hard cutting rides and feeding ect. to give us some good shooting. We have woodcock in good numbers and a few duck. Our normal bag would be about 20 pheasants 4 - 6 woodcock and a couple of various each day.

We were thinking along the lines of £75.00 per gun per day. We put a lot of work into the shoot and don't want to sell it to cheap and we don't want to take the *** either. The few days i have bought elsewhere have cost more this but its difficult to put a price on something we are all involved in so closely.

Any advise would be very helpfull.

Thanks

Rimmy

Forgive me if I have not got the gist of your post right but to me it reads that you have 7 members 1/2 of which would be standing at any one time, say 4 guns. To this you then add the 4 paying guns making a total of 8 standing guns per drive.

Your average bag is 20 pheasants per day equating to 2 1/2 birds per gun per day.

How much do you think someone is realistically prepared to pay for a chance to shoot 2 pheasants and pasty for lunch...........

they are upping the chances by letting the guns stand all day, the only comparison I have is we went on a similar shoot the other day and at £80 for a 50 bird day it was great value. Though we were meant to walk one stand one they wanted us stood most of the time and we only walked one drive, shot 26 birds between the three of us so had a great value day. In the case of a 20 bird day I'd suggest closer to £50-60 a head would make it good value for them and let you recoup some of your costs

Forgive me if I have not got the gist of your post right but to me it reads that you have 7 members 1/2 of which would be standing at any one time, say 4 guns. To this you then add the 4 paying guns making a total of 8 standing guns per drive.

Your average bag is 20 pheasants per day equating to 2 1/2 birds per gun per day.

How much do you think someone is realistically prepared to pay for a chance to shoot 2 pheasants and pasty for lunch...........

Depends on if you have anywhere else to shoot, how much you like shooting and how good a shot you are. Just because we shoot about 20 - 30 birds does not mean that is all that could be shot. On most days we return a ratio of about 4 to 1, the shooting is not easy, alot of it is on tight rides and the birds flip over at a fair rate. It may be the case that a good gun could hit 10 birds and a bad shot could hit none. I on a couple of days have used a box and half of cartridges with we only killing 6 birds and I consider myself a fair shot.

If we had 4 paying guns, Some of the members would walk more than we would stand.

It was about 20 pheasants 6ish woodcock and a couple of "others" so maybe a total of 30 birds a day.

For me a chance to be out with the gun, work my dog if i want in very nice company, with a homemade pasty and a pint for lunch is worth a lot to me.

Horses for courses i think.

To be honest i dont think you could charge more then £50 per head.

350 birds down is not alot, but yes i agree alot of hard work goes into maintaining these etc, but i dont think you can look at this when trying to provide a price.

I would look at it as you have a couple of free places and you offer them out, just to put some funds back into your shoot for next seasons work etc...

Last season i know of a shoot who had approx 2500 birds down and was charging approx £350 per gun per day, if that helps

We have put 600 down this season and we were talking about charging less then what you mentioned, if we had any free places but that would be shoot one, beat one and between 6 to 8 drives depending how long we chatted between drives :hmm:

hope this helps

£50.

Our syndicate also puts down 350 pheasants and 50 ducks and our annual fee is £460 inc BASC. We shoot 8 days= £50 per day on the £400 the shooting costs. That said, we have the remainder of the year on the pigeons, vermin and tickling trout from the lakes :D . As a 'gun for hire' though you would expect to pay a premium for the 'non-contractual' use of the laid on facilities. The poults and feed don't add up to the commercial rate for a pheasant when run yourself, so you're not trying to cover costs like £25 per bird, for example.

If you're attracting the 'right' sort of punter they'll be very happy with the chance to wave their gun around in the company of their dog for £50.

50 quid or maybe 60 to cover the lunch.

:hmm:

We put down 300 Pheasants, some patridge and 100duck. Our bags are usually between 20-40.

We operate as a fully(ish) driven day for 14 guns (10 stand 4 walk with the beaters as back guns) with bacon buttie and coffee for breakfast and charge £60 + £10 to 'adopt a beater' for the day. Having said this we only allow 3-4 paying guests per year, which basically helps us out with some of our feed costs.

As for how much shooting you get, it's down to the luck of the draw. One guest last year didn't get a poke until the last drive, another put his gun away just after lunch and joined the beating line due to being embarrased at being in the mix every drive; and they only drew 2 pegs apart - it's a funny old game.

I have to agree with Al4x and Birdy, £50 - 60.

However, if you can get more and you give them an enjoyable entertaining day, which it sounds like you can, then go for it.

PS.

Don't forget to introduce yourself as the keeper and to collect your tip at the end of the day which willhelp swell the coffers.