10641 pigeons shot by one man in one day

sitsinhedges

Just under 10 birds per minute every minute for 18 hours?

Are my maths correct?

I saw he had a drink of water, also loaders for the guns, did he have unloaders for the bottom barrel?

bakerboy

also saw all that but still hav'nt seen one bird he shot at might be just my eyes and thats why

i dont get any

atb dolphin

Had ago some years back was good but not really for me i will stick to proper pigeons plus the doves are not that easy to shoot ,not so bad when your field shooting but food to roost shooting is a bit more interesting .

1 thing i will say it was a cracking holiday even the other half loved it and she not so keen on shooting ,food great weather, great sport , digs brillant and some good sport. Tho bit pricey :)

I never saw anything drop ...

I laughed at on of the comment below thou... it said

I am a responsible hunter and understand that wildlife needs to be thinned out to keep from over population but this Jack A-S-S dumbfck needs to be dragged behind a truck and then shot in the least fatal areas of his body!!

:good::):/

:good:

If each dove weighed in at 1lb this would come out at 4.75 tonnes of dead birds, in a 90 yard diameter circle given a killing range of 45yards.

If I could work out how many square yards in a circle, I could work out how many dead birds per square yard and the weight of said dead birds per square yard.

Is anyone that interested?

But I bet there is someone out there that can supply the answer

Bakerboy

yes I know I am a boring cynic

Edited by bakerboy

I'm confused. :good:

Why are people slating the guy for shooting that many? If he's stood in one field and they're coming in like that, apparently destroying 20% of crops, what's the issue? There's clearly a problem that needs sorting.

It's not like he's funnelling the entire country's dove population onto the end of his shotgun

I'm confused. :good:

Why are people slating the guy for shooting that many? If he's stood in one field and they're coming in like that, apparently destroying 20% of crops, what's the issue? There's clearly a problem that needs sorting.

It's not like he's funnelling the entire country's dove population onto the end of his shotgun

I am not slating the guy, I was just wondering whether it was possible to shoot that many birds in 1 day, shooting 10 birds per minute every minute for 18 hours, does not allow for any misses.

bakerboy

Terry

Great vid - found this one too which seems better footage -

Note about 9:34 in the above - does he say he was using a 28 bore?

I have just watched a second video, the Irish guy, Now that was very good shooting and totally believeable, maybe I should have watched all the videos before making an opinion.

bakerboy :good::):/:lol:

I find that kind of concept rather disturbing. That is not so much of a pest control issue but an ecosystem being affected in a significant way.

Yes of course it is a great human accomplishment and all that, but at what price? Going out and taking 40-50 bird from an area is understandable as it is not devastating (or doveastating)a population. 10,000 is and I'm sure does little to promote the concept or past time to others who just think anyone who shoots is blood thirsty.

Some individual hunting lodge/estates in Argentina have a population of around 20million doves so from what I can gather they are a major problem and not just like a few hundred woodpigeons landing on a field of rape. Surely even just a million doves would destroy a "field" of crops in a day. Steven Marsden the guy in the second video is an awesome shot, Just a couple of weeks ago I watched him shoot a 300 bird day on driven partridges on an estate I beat on. It was just a walk in the park for the guy.

there has got to be HUGE populations of doves to enable that number to be shot - i bet its a drop in the ocean

That's what the Europeans used to say about the flocks of songbirds that they netted and shot for food a few years ago.

Now look how many wintering species are getting scarcer in the UK that pass through that way and then say that the population will be OK with this level of killing!

Passenger pigeon set any alarm bells ringing?