Which rifle?

Ireland's Finest!

The answers are certain to include .222, .223, .22-250 and .243 and you will not conclude on this thread which is best because according to everyone who own each of said calibres their's is best!

I would go for .243 if you have only one rifle, IMO one of the most versatile rounds, plenty of choice of hardware at sensible money and plenty of good factory ammo available. And the round is big enough for deer if you get the chance.

I don't think there is a perfect calibre for rabbits AND fox.

Ideally get yourself a centrefire for the fox and a rimfire for the bunnies.

If your FEO will allow rimfire on fox (some will) then I'd say HMR/WMR are about a near as you'll get to a "do-all" rifle. Next up would be small CF's like a Hornet or .204 but still a bit much on rabbits, even head shot you are gonna be hosing out the game carrier every time.

.243win would be my choice if one rifle is a must!

I shoot a lot of foxes with my .243ai, I also shoot rabbits at extended ranges with it too, the farmer wants em' gone and I get em' gone :hmm: Don't get me wrong though, if I'm out lamping purely after rabbits then I take the .22lr!

As has been said though, you will not find a definative answer here, just a lot of advice, the answer is one that you need to decide for yourself I'm afraid, if that makes sense!

Edited by Sprags

Right lads I've decided not to get a second shotgun but get my first rifle instead. What would be the best calibre to get? I will mainly be shooting foxes and maybe the odd rabbit/hare?

Appreciate your replys.

absolutly a no brainer for me ! 17hmr will destroy both of your named quarry with no problems at all -its a fantasticly fast round 2600 ftps ! thats faster than most military sniper rifles - a very good vermin outfit - they even do a 20grn round now -i think 223 is too much of a round for rabbits more suited to monkjack

Which model? You won't go wrong with a Sako but it is definitely not the best calibre if fox is your main quarry.

It's a sako quad .17 hmr, but your able to change the barell on it for different calibres, you could put a 22lr, 22Wmrf or a 17 mach 2 onto it.

I think its perfect for me as its my first rifle it will have the capibalites of kiling a fox upto 150 yrds possibly. As another lad said its an extermely fast round (altough it would be rubbish on a windy night). It seems the right rifle for me :good::)

It's a sako quad .17 hmr, but your able to change the barell on it for different calibres, you could put a 22lr, 22Wmrf or a 17 mach 2 onto it.

I know, I've got one :)

Cracking tool, you'll love the rifle. Make sure and apply for all the calibres you want, def .22WMR for fox :good: and watch what scope you buy, if it's too long or has too big an objective you won't be able to change the barrel without removing the scope which obviously means you need to re-zero.

I have .17HMR and .22LR and there is a consistent difference (number of clicks) between zeros when I change the barrel, I still check it when I change the barrel though as I don't change barrels that often.

I thought that the .17 would have been suggested more on this thread. It would probably be as close as you could get to a suitable calibre for both Fox and Rabbit. Its a good 100 yard rifle and there is Nothing wrong with shooting a bit extra than that as long as your able and the conditions permit.

Hope it serves you well whatever you end up with

I thought that the .17 would have been suggested more on this thread. It would probably be as close as you could get to a suitable calibre for both Fox and Rabbit. Its a good 100 yard rifle and there is Nothing wrong with shooting a bit extra than that as long as your able and the conditions permit.

Hope it serves you well whatever you end up with

:):hmm::hmm::hmm:

Which .17...the HMR has been readily discussed, but the Fireball etc is another whole ball game!

Frankly I would suggest the .22WMR as a better option for both fox and rabbit than a HMR, plenty accurate enough to 100 yards or more, and better on the fox in my view, and the ammo is cheaper than HMR (just).

They both have their uses though. I have used the HMR to devastating effect on a foxes brain out to past 100 yards! :blush:

Edited by Dekers

• 3 weeks later...

HMR for mainly Fox and the occasional Rabbit or Hare.... No way! That's not a good choice at all! Mainly Rabbit and the odd Fox maybe, but mainly Fox - definately no! No no no! I can't believe people have even suggested it! :o

Get yourself a .22 centrefire of some sort. If you're looking at 150 yards then Hornet is a good choice but as you say mainly Fox I'd say go even bigger - .222 or .223 would be my choice. You can head shoot Rabbits if you want the odd one for the pot and they'll be fine - I recently gave a load to a mate which I shot with my .243 and they were fine.

The HMR is a Rabbit gun. To be honest I'd be surprised of your firearms department wouold even allow it if you say you want to shoot mainly Fox, it's just a bad choice! A really bad choice!

EDIT... If you must have a rimfire then the .22WMR would be a far better choice than the .17HMR. Still a bad choice but better! They do that rifle or one very similar in .223 you know. :yes:

Edited by njc110381