Woodcock

Fisherman Mike

i have to agree with you there mike. there is an awful lot of idiots out there who shoot them and dont even want them. what is the point in that as you say. and blackbart i have shot a fair few woodcock in my life, and they do offer some very straight forward shots at times. if you disagree then what great variety of shots to they give you in comparison to the mix of shots pigeon provide? you want to believe they offer great shots when in reality they are mostly just straight away snap shots. and if they have to fly a bit of distance over an open field after they break cover then they provide an even more basic shot

If they are so easy to shoot then they shouldn't be shooting them :rolleyes: . I only shoot Woodcock which offer a sporting shot and I must say they don't always offer basic shots. The shot they offer will sometimes depend on the terrain you are shooting on; the land I shoot on is mountaineous with depp srains and gorse bushes, this will sometimes lead to the woodcock flushing above the gorse and immediately dip on the other side, this makes for great sporting shots.

As for Mike saying that a lot of birds aren't ate; I find this hard to believe, I would eat about 90% of all game I shoot, if I have too much I have plenty of people who are looking to eat game and I will give it away for free.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok then i have come to the conclusion that i am the best woodcock shot in the country, seeing as how i find them quite easy to kill, and most here find them incredibly tough to hit! excellent!

Well I would consider myself a better than average shot and I would say that over the course of the season I would shoot 70-80% of all Woodcock I shoot at. I only shoot at birds which offer a sporting chance. Have you ever tried shooting woodcock from a steep mountain side when they rise and fly directly down hill away from you or have you ever had driven woodcock; if you have then you would realise how sporting they are.

I think Curlew should go back on the list. theres not a shortage of them as far as I can see!

I Didn't know that. Where did you find this out? :good:

There is a new book written by Prof. Colin Trotman called Woodcock: Fieldcraft and quarry.

It makes some very interesting reading, Highly recommended read. As regards the woodcock self bandaging there are some great photographs detailing such including x-rays of broken limbs etc. that have been repaired.

Mike you make some interesting comments from time to time BUT this is NOT one of them... ‘It’s got nothing at all to do with trying to stop the sport’. I know you’re a keen ‘birdy’ man as well as a shooter but you really are going too far with that comment.

The RSPB have publicly claimed that they will have no shooting on land they own and would like to see quarry shooting banned. They have a huge single resource to buy up available land which is why BASC have their own (limited) fund to help wildfowlers buy land.

It is an acknowledged fact that; 0ver 2 million hectares of land in the UK is actively managed for conservation by shooters (more land than any other conservation body) and that shoot providers spend some £250 million a year on conservation Birdlife or conservation of sport Birds listed on Schedule 2 Part 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985. These species, which include various ducks and geese, coot, moorhen, golden plover, snipe and woodcock can be killed or taken outside the closed season (usually 1 February to 31 August), but are protected during the closed season.

General Licences allow the control of certain species (eg certain gull species, pigeon species and crow species) under certain conditions, eg to preserve public health, for the purposes of public and air safety, preventing the spread of disease, or preventing serious damage to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber or fisheries.

Game birds (eg pheasants, partridges and grouse) are not wild birds as defined by the Wildlife and Countryside Act. They are covered by the Game Act and have their own open season. 5 times the RSPB’s annual income). In addition shooters spend 2.7 million (mostly unpaid) work days on conservation, the equivalent of 12,000 full time jobs. The incidental benefit to wildlife on a shoot is immense but increasingly shooters are undertaking deliberate and targeted efforts to conserve habitat and species.

Shooters are NOT against the bird watching community BUT the bird watching community is largely against shooters! If land is once bought by the RSPB goodbye shooting on it for ever!

Apologies if I hijacked the main subject of this thread.

Fair Comment but not strictly true....

Indeed the RSPCA are opposed to Wildfowling on some reserves but not all. Some are licenced with quotas, quotas infact that the wildfowlers rarely exceed.

Sadly on some organised shoots and wildfowling shoots protected species are still indiscriminately shot. I saw two redshank and a common sandpiper last year that an experienced wildfowler thought were snipe ! This is what we need to eradicate and completely if we do not then the welfare organisations will indeed step in and lobby for change to shooting policy.

There is no danger that there will be a national campaign for the cessation of wildfowling by the RSPB unless numbers of commonly shot wild fowl capitulate and thats not going to be the case thanks in part to the work of the RSPB, land owners and us shooters. The RSPB infact recognise the admirable work carried out by shooting conservation groups including the Game conservancy Trust in improving habitats for game birds that has a knock on effect in helping re-establish or underpin other floundering species.

We can all reach a happy medium but you must realise we are in a minority and the RSPB's prime objective is preservation of birdlife for future enjoyment by all and not to safeguard shooting rites for the minority.

Unfortunately the purchasing and safeguarding of habitat from major landowners is the only way to safeguard wildfowl and wader populations in some areas.

The following abstract from RSPB remit is interesting...

Shooting

It is illegal to shoot the majority of wild birds. Exceptions to this are:

Birds listed on Schedule 2 Part 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985. These species, which include various ducks and geese, coot, moorhen, golden plover, snipe and woodcock can be killed or taken outside the closed season (usually 1 February to 31 August), but are protected during the closed season.

General Licences allow the control of certain species (eg certain gull species, pigeon species and crow species) under certain conditions, eg to preserve public health, for the purposes of public and air safety, preventing the spread of disease, or preventing serious damage to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber or fisheries.

Game birds (eg pheasants, partridges and grouse) are not wild birds as defined by the Wildlife and Countryside Act. They are covered by the Game Act and have their own open season.

So you see even the RSPB advocate that we shoot within the confines of the Licence, However technically many of us do not. Public opinion is the biggest danger to our sport not the RSPB, BTO, RSPCA, WWT, WWF, Greenpeace or anyone else...it was public opinion which caused the banning of Fox Hunting and Hunting with Dogs..

Personally and this is only my opinion, only pest and game species should be included on the general list and I would like to see all of the waders removed along with Coot and Moorhen these are the bird species which the general public least identify has being "fair quarry"

Ask yourself this ..if you were a non-shooter and came across a male Golden Plover in full winter plumage that had been shot, not knowing it was on the General List...wouldnt you be outraged ! Thats the way non shooters see our Sport Im afraid and anything we can do to eliviate this misunderstanding has got to be right in my book.

As for the chap earlier who suggested the Curlew should be reinstated.... get a grip man!

I'm afraid the RSPB are going the same way as the RSPCA and no amount clap trap from do gooders and aspiring bunny huggers will convince me otherwise. They both have an agenda and that does not include shooting.

A proportion of the populus will object to any bird being shot be it pest or game and to suggest that certain game species should become protected just because they look pretty and the shooting of them may cause offence to non shooters is just plain daft. The public need educating otherwise one may as well ban the shooting of all game birds because I'm afraid Mike that is where your daft ideas will lead.

I'm afraid the RSPB are going the same way as the RSPCA and no amount clap trap from do gooders and aspiring bunny huggers will convince me otherwise. They both have an agenda and that does not include shooting.

A proportion of the populus will object to any bird being shot be it pest or game and to suggest that certain game species should become protected just because they look pretty and the shooting of them may cause offence to non shooters is just plain daft. The public need educating otherwise one may as well ban the shooting of all game birds because I'm afraid Mike that is where your daft ideas will lead.

Daft maybe but I dont see the Golden Plover, Snipe, Jack Snipe, Woodcock, Coot or Moorhen as game birds Im afraid and I never will..Shooters do obviously but as I said, are very much in the minority when it comes to public opinion. Your are not correct when you say a "proportion" of the populus it should be a "very large proportion" of the populus.If not thelarge majority.

We are are a nation of bird and animal lovers (Fish too)and I think a total ban on shooting birds will come infact. Perhaps not in mine and your lifetime but it will come eventually. I shoot pigeons because I enjoy that aspect of pest control. When the landowners allow me and that is generally when pigeons are a problem I go out and shoot them with a clear conscience because I know I am shooting within the confines of the General Licence and a species which can only be controlled in this way . I dont go out looking for pigeons persay and try and decoy them to fields they wouldnt normally visit or deliberately hunt Woodcock, & Snipe because I just cannot see any point in it.

I sometimes find it very strange when we all adulate about certain Wildlife programmes on the TV...Woodcock for example a couple of years ago there was a very interesting, informative, and thoroughly entertaining programme which had an insight into the native and very secretive Woodcock...we all loved it, adored it were mesmerised by it, awestruck at the wonderment of its life and the perils and journeys that it faces and yet we go forth and seek it out and have no hesitation in pulling the trigger when opportunity presents itself. Why is that ?

Classic case of being loved to death ?

Being a Birdy I have no axe to grind with wildfowlers, pigeon shooters or game shooters, but we must all be squeeky clean in the years ahead and if we cannot completely adhere to the rules then we will be doomed just as fox hunting was.

I have seen for example bags of Pigeons in Shooting periodicals which included Stock Doves mistakenly identified as Feral pigeons even a Turtle dove in 2006 the shooter thought was a Collard. Its happening far to freequently for my liking and I think infact its some of us who need educating and not the Public.

There can only be two reasons for shooting birds. As pest control or to be eaten. If the birds are pretty like golden plover or ugley like a coot should not matter. While personaly I do not shoot or eat coots I know several who do and good luck to them. Golden plover on the other handare brilliant game birds , very hard to hit and very good on the table. What more can be asked from a game bird. As for curlew , back in the old days i shot 100s , contary to what some think they are very good eating , better than wigeon and with a lot more meat on them. Plus even after years of protection they are still wary and Kenze Thorpe described them as one of the hardest birds to hit , so they are very sporting birds.

Mike if we are not careful going down your road we will end up like the Dutch and only be able to shoot pheasants and mallard. I read an article in the ST a few years ago where the Dutch are not allowed to shoot geese , but the farmers to protect their crops were allowed to gas the wild geese on their fields. What nonsence . If wild goose shooting was still allowed in Holland we would probably have more geese comming over the North sea to England.

The joy of wildfowling is never quite knowing what is going to end up in the bag next. You might be moon flighting wigeon and the geese start to flood over or dawn flighting mallard and find yourself under a big golden plover flight. We may find in the future fewer and fewer wildfowl visit out shores due to short stopping , but as long as the flyway population is prospering thats no reason to protect the birds in this country. Lets leave the quarry list as it is as long as the populations of North western Europe are holding their own.

Edited by anser2

Mike I’d have to agree that many shooting folk could do with a check on their ability to ID quarry but let’s be fair the vast majority of the none shooting public would be hard pushed to tell a pheasant from a pigeon.

I remember a few years ago on University Challenge a group of Oxbridge sorts couldn’t ID a number of duck from pictures that were presented to them AND one was the ubiquitous mallard!

Yes shooting folk make mistakes but hopefully they learn by them.

It’s a matter of public record that the RSPB are opposed to live quarry shooting and to try to claim they are not is pure bunkum. The RSPB and other so called ‘charities’ have IMO overstepped their remit. Here in our part of the world they now SELL days on their reserve to watch the Red Deer rut and run landrover ‘safaris’ around the reserve at £50 a pop to view the Stags. They also spend many man hours and god knows how much money on building and maintaining habitat for rare waders such as lapwings and more importantly stone curlews but then they also encourage the harriers, only they can’t figure out why the waders aren’t breeding successfully!

The best guardians of the countryside are the people who live and work there NOT some uni graduate straight out of school with a degree in this or that who thinks they can save the world!

And just because you don’t wish to shoot much other than pigeons why try to stop others from doing so...typical of the sort of attitude those in the animal rights movements have. Shooting folk are quite happy getting on with their lives rather than berating others about how they should live theirs!

Mike I’d have to agree that many shooting folk could do with a check on their ability to ID quarry but let’s be fair the vast majority of the none shooting public would be hard pushed to tell a pheasant from a pigeon.

I remember a few years ago on University Challenge a group of Oxbridge sorts couldn’t ID a number of duck from pictures that were presented to them AND one was the ubiquitous mallard!

Yes shooting folk make mistakes but hopefully they learn by them.

It’s a matter of public record that the RSPB are opposed to live quarry shooting and to try to claim they are not is pure bunkum. The RSPB and other so called ‘charities’ have IMO overstepped their remit. Here in our part of the world they now SELL days on their reserve to watch the Red Deer rut and run landrover ‘safaris’ around the reserve at £50 a pop to view the Stags. They also spend many man hours and god knows how much money on building and maintaining habitat for rare waders such as lapwings and more importantly stone curlews but then they also encourage the harriers, only they can’t figure out why the waders aren’t breeding successfully!

The best guardians of the countryside are the people who live and work there NOT some uni graduate straight out of school with a degree in this or that who thinks they can save the world!

And just because you don’t wish to shoot much other than pigeons why try to stop others from doing so...typical of the sort of attitude those in the animal rights movements have. Shooting folk are quite happy getting on with their lives rather than berating others about how they should live theirs!

Fair comment....Reasoned argument..... each to his own. :yes:

mate thats your opinion and everyones entitled to it,i love going out on a saturday morning to hunt them,they are a fantastic bird both to eat and hunt and i hate these people that fill freezers with them purely for profit,can't these people see if everyone keeps doing this our woodcock will disappear completely,i blame the game dealers,if they didn't pay as much per skull then people wouldn't overshoot them. at one time in northern ireland some people were getting £5.50 a head for them,this clearly is not on.

the woodcock has saved many a blank day for me and if it was taken off the quarry list then not only me but a lot of orther people would have a poor shooting season, 2 of us where out yesterday the dogs put up 20 woodcock i shot 2 and my mate got none id never shoot more than 6 in a day and as i only get out on a saturday for a shot then im happy enough with 6 in a day and many a day i could of hit big bags but i respect them to much to hammer them, but as anywhere you go you always get clowns who arnt happy unless they have a pile of woodcock in their game bag that most likely go to waste i dont like eating woodcock but my daughters love them and several friends who also take them to eat

There is a new book written by Prof. Colin Trotman called Woodcock: Fieldcraft and quarry.

It makes some very interesting reading, Highly recommended read. As regards the woodcock self bandaging there are some great photographs detailing such including x-rays of broken limbs etc. that have been repaired.

Thank you very much :good:

mate thats your opinion and everyones entitled to it,i love going out on a saturday morning to hunt them,they are a fantastic bird both to eat and hunt and i hate these people that fill freezers with them purely for profit,can't these people see if everyone keeps doing this our woodcock will disappear completely,i blame the game dealers,if they didn't pay as much per skull then people wouldn't overshoot them. at one time in northern ireland some people were getting £5.50 a head for them,this clearly is not on.

As far as I know shooting woodcock for profit is or at least it was illegal & if it's not now it should be ! :sly: !

f3

piebob,what way do u cook them,end product looks good,guts in or out?

I leave the innards in them for roasting. The "pate" you see on the toast is a combination of the bacon removed from the breast, chopped up and fried with the innards and a splash of port.

I see plenty of woodcock each year and shoot only 4 or 5. Numbers seem to depend on the type of cover and the ground. There's one shoot I go to that has a pheasant drive that should really be called a woodcock drive as the numbers are so high, but they stay low and fast and always present a challenging shot amongst the trees.

the woodcock is a fine sporting bird. those who think we should'nt shoot it are missing the point in my view. It is excellent to hunt for with questing spaniels in rough terrain. It offers one of the few remaining chances, outside of wildfowling, to get out into really wild country and hunt for a wild gamebird. As for their numbers decreasing. In N. Ireland there are plenty. I enjoy shooting them and cooking them. People on this site should remember, we don't all live in the south of England. This country is big place. Some of us have loads of pigeons. Some of us don't. Some of us have wild partridges, and for some us they became extinct over 100 years ago. Some of us have grouse and for others there are tinkering on the edge. And then, some of us go one season to the next without seeing a woodcock. Whereas for others it is a staple quarry from November onwards.

so what are you saying drd, shoot as many as you possibly can because your lucky enough to be in a good area for them? serious question, not a jibe

catch ur self on Perazzi82. Most people are lucky to shoot 4 or 5 birds in day. In one place I shoot in, it is not uncommon to flush 50 or 60 birds. The vast majoirty of those don't offer a shot. The most I have ever had was 14, that was about 8 years ago between two guns. I haven't seen anyone here advocating a free for all at woodcock. The majoirty of people who seriously hunt for them have too much respect for the birds to hammer them into the ground. However, those who come on to a supposed 'hunting website' and then ask in my opnion draft questions like 'why do you hunt wood cock' or worse still advocate that we actualy stop want to take a serious look at themselves. Or perhaps they should just subscribe to the LAG!!!! You don't see me coming on here asking why people in the south of England hunt 'grey partridge' or why do people hunt 'grouse' or why bother with 'wildfowl'. If the rationale for 'why do you want to hunt for wood cock' applies then why not ask the same question for all wild gaamebirds and waterfowl?