FAC Air

RC45

Way beyond practical IMO though it may be feasible.

26~36 ftlb seems to be the most practical when amount of air used is condidered. As the air pellet is a non viable aerofoil section due to dragging a hollow skirt behind it. It is best suited to low range applications. The potential gains from propelling such a projectile at higher speeds are very innefficient.

Air bullets are available but if you are looking for the sort of smack and inertia these offer you would almost certainly be better off using a .22lr which is far easier and cheaper to produce and maintain.

A good rule of thumb is to see what is generally used, as the market will gear up to supply that which is wanted by most buyers.

Edited by Dave-G

I see Daystate do a 80ftlb model in .25 calibre, surely they would not release a product that was no good?

I don't think anyone said it's no good, just not very viable, with little use for most peoples requirements if pellets are going to be used.

If an air rifle is made adjustable enough to encompass such a huge amount of air passage at one time it will be do-able for anyone who feels they can gain from expending vast amounts of air for seriously small margins in reliable useable range. That will require a FAC to use it - and there are much more practical methods of getting a projectile up to similar speeds at the very least.

I just prefer FAC air to .22lr. I can buy pellets in the thousands and can fill the bottle at my club anytime. In America, they don't have these arguments, they just get on and do it. In the UK everyone asks why do you want to do it.

If I could afford it, and get over the regulations, I would import from the USA. I can't understand why we can't make similar guns here. I for one would quite happily shoot 100 ftlbs on a 50 metre outdoor range and I would find it more challenging that .22lr.

FYI: The club I shoot at has a very strong airgun group.

Phil

Hiya,

If I could afford it, and get over the regulations, I would import from the USA. I can't understand why we can't make similar guns here. I for one would quite happily shoot 100 ftlbs on a 50 metre outdoor range and I would find it more challenging that .22lr.

FYI: The club I shoot at has a very strong airgun group.

Phil

To be honest I dont see the point, you can get the same accuracy @ 50 yrds with arapid 7 running at only 28ftb and using 16 grain AA field pellets.

try a careea 707 mines running about 75 -80 and its a great gun only get about 35 shots but i got used to it now ,i let my friend have a go the other week and he came back with 2 rabbits and said it was the dogs bits he runs a daystate, its a bit noisy thats all :good:

Is that legal to let him borrow it? No offence intended but isn't it registered to you.

Edited by carld41

Can anyone tell me if 80ftlbs and beyond is feasible, if so where to buy? And what is the best model to go for?

Phil

Ok, I have not read a single response here, but this is mine..... the answer is yes!

It is also a complete waste of time and money in this country, save a fortune and get cheaper, more consistant and reliable shooting with a vaste range of ammo choices...BUY A .22lr! :good:

Circumstances would allow a non fac user to use it....we don't know those circumstances.

I am not being facetious just curious, I don't understand your reply. Genuinely curious as to what circumstances would allow it to be borrowed, I could apply these rules and borrow quite a few fac rated rifles.As I read it rightly or wrongly his mate went off with rifle and came back with the bunnies. Only thing I can think of was the rifle was on both tickets (shared)

regards

Carl

I am not being facetious just curious, I don't understand your reply. Genuinely curious as to what circumstances would allow it to be borrowed, I could apply these rules and borrow quite a few fac rated rifles.As I read it rightly or wrongly his mate went off with rifle and came back with the bunnies. Only thing I can think of was the rifle was on both tickets (shared)

regards

Carl

As far as I'm aware, on land where the relevant parties have permission to shoot, then the fac holder can supervise the non fac holder whilst using his rifle. This according to my local rfd.

As far as I'm aware, on land where the relevant parties have permission to shoot, then the fac holder can supervise the non fac holder whilst using his rifle. This according to my local rfd.

According to one of my FEO's Neither a non FAC holder nor a FAC holder is allowed to fire my gun - under any circumstances. Neither am I allowed to fire anyone else's apparently.

only able to use a firearm which is listed on your certificate, a club gun were you are both members or under the "estate rifle" provision as far as i am aware there is no other provision in law.

FAC gun. To my mind somewere around 30 ft lb- 40 ft lb is the practical limit. FAC PCP air rifles are far more hasstle to keep and feed on a practical basis than rimfires. The only exeption to this might be if you local plod wouldn't licence you for .22 LR but gave you FAC air with no upper power limit then an 80ft lb Daystate firing air bullets might become practical. I run a 30ft lb rapid .22 and it is far more accurate than the rimfire with CB caps, so it forfills my needs under the rimfires and centrefires i have yet above the 12 ftlb guns

But he wasn't supervised, he went off and came back with bunnies

Good job he didn't get caught!

I'll check with my FEO on this issue - I've to get in touch with her about shotgun cert app so I 'll ask. The interpretation of these things does seem to vary from force to force.

I'll let you know the answer I get :good:

im sure if your out shooting there is nothing wrong with letting your mate just wonder off in sight to shoot a couple of bunnys in the next field ,its not like your letting a child wonder of with a gun ,maybe im wrong i dont know

The question "Can a friend have a go with my rifle if he is within arms reach of me" was asked, the reply was "no". Nor can I let my brother who has an FAC shoot my rifle - nor can I shoot his.

There was an exception about estate rifles - but that was not the scenario I put forward.