Which dies do you use.??

Not wanting to start a war here :rolleyes:

What dies do you use for your reloading...Redding , RCB, LEE or whichever???

Also if you only reload for your rifle , do you neck size only or full length??

I ask as i want to try and get the best possible accuracy from my rifle and am in the market for some good quality dies...

sorry if this starts a slanging match, im not trying to, just want some real experiance..

Cheers...

Nik... :P

I use an arbour press set up with home made dies, i used to buy L.E.Wilson hand dies but when i tried reaming their die blanks their were issues with concentricity so i decided to make my own, which i have done ever since.

I also make 7/8x14 dies for conventional presses.

20_Practical_Dies_001.jpg

The dies in the picture are an inline bullet seater with a Sinclair micrometre top in .20 Practical and a threaded form die to neck down 223 cases before fire forming.

My mate who had the rifle built asked me if i could make the dies for him with the same reamer used to chamber his rifle, both are made from 316 stainless steel. :)

Ian.

Not a slanging match olde mate just lively debate,sit back and enjoy. I bought the lee deluxe 4 die set in 243, it gives you the choice of neck sizing or full sizing. Personally I like it but its all I have tried, it can load very accurate ammunition. The collet neck sizing die is excellent and has great reviews, the full sizing die is a must have as,not only can you resize ammunition fired in other rifles(of the same calibre)but you will need to resize your cases sometime (my recent batch of federal cases needed resizing on the 6th go round). The only thing I will say about lee is that the set up videos on their website are ok but you will get much better advice on you tube ( or on here if you have a problem ).

It all depends on what you want to spend, but if your like me and start reloading because you want to save a few quid then Lee aint bad.

I'm getting half inch groups and less with my Remington 700 sps, well it no longer has the stock, that was replaced with a hogue fully alley bedded stock,oh a Timney trigger as well set to just a shade under 2lb. Remember that accuracy isnt all down to the ammunition,its a combination of the gun,ammo and the man on the controls.

I use an arbour press set up with home made dies, i used to buy L.E.Wilson hand dies but when i tried reaming their die blanks their were issues with concentricity so i decided to make my own, which i have done ever since.

The dies in the picture are an inline bullet seater with a Sinclair micrometre top in .20 Practical and a threaded form die to neck down 223 cases before fire forming.

My mate who had the rifle built asked me if i could make the dies for him with the same reamer used to chamber his rifle, both are made from 316 stainless steel. :)

Ian.

Now that is NICE

Now that is NICE

Very nice! Having seen that i will not be posting a picture of my reloading shed!

I was given a complete RCBS setup in 22.250. I changed the dies for RCBS 243 and have been very happy with it to date. I am still learning but happy with the results to date.

Dave

:beer: Glad to here a nice debate :D

The reason i ask is that i have just spun some rounds in my lathe, slowly and the bullet run out is horrendous....

Ive now taken 30 rounds apart and dont want go wasting any more time, or firing any more rounds till this is sorted,

it cant be right that the bullet run out is that bad, that cant make for an accurate round at all can it??

I dont mind spending money if i know im going to get a result.

RCB still seem quite cheep at 30 odd quid for a 2 die set....im thinking the redding ones or competition dies look good??

B)

Vermincinerator................Thats a very nice piece of engineering.....well done..

Now that is NICE

Thanks Redgum,

I used to use a mix of Redding Comp dies, RCBS and Forster standard press dies but changed to a arbour press set up after buying a 6BR.

I had a brief fling with the arbour press set up when i did a season of BR 10 years.

Not only did it allow me to load premium ammo for the 6BR, but gave me a very portable set up i could schlepp to the range or keep in the back of the wagon when in the field.

Ian.

Thanks Redgum,

I used to use a mix of Redding Comp dies, RCBS and Forster standard press dies but changed to a arbour press set up after buying a 6BR.

I had a brief fling with the arbour press set up when i did a season of BR 10 years.

Not only did it allow me to load premium ammo for the 6BR, but gave me a very portable set up i could schlepp to the range or keep in the back of the wagon when in the field.

Ian.

Should imagine you know one end of lathe from another, mind you my wife looks nice but you try working with her :lol: Sure they are a delight to handle.

As for run out, there is a you tube clip somewhere ( search Lee collet die) and it compares run out on rounds loaded with Lee and Lyman, the Lee collet necksizing die loaded cases has almost nil run out,differant story with the other.

:beer: Glad to here a nice debate :D

The reason i ask is that i have just spun some rounds in my lathe, slowly and the bullet run out is horrendous....

Ive now taken 30 rounds apart and dont want go wasting any more time, or firing any more rounds till this is sorted,

it cant be right that the bullet run out is that bad, that cant make for an accurate round at all can it??

I dont mind spending money if i know im going to get a result.

RCB still seem quite cheep at 30 odd quid for a 2 die set....im thinking the redding ones or competition dies look good??

B)

How you testing the run out on your lathe, are you clamping the rim ,you really need to use a run out set up with dial gauge, I will see if I can find the Lee link.

Heres the link

Edited by Redgum

Ian.

That is a very nice piece of kit.

I use all Redding gear.

I have a full set of comp dies which work really well.

I have not had to do a full length size yet, I only ever neck size. I resize to .001" below finished size and only resize .1" deep. I clean the inside of the necks with wire brush in slow drill to ensure clean and uniform.

A friend has RCBS and he does well with them too.

I wouldn't use Lee if given to me as a gift. If you just want to make cheap ammo and you shoot 100yards and don't mind if it is in a 1-2" group then lee is fine.

Contact any reloading center eg. Midway uk, Reloading solutions, Norman Clarkes etc...etc...etc.... they all say the same.

If you want top notch results buy top notch gear........ buy cheap....you make cheap.

Ask any "TOP NOTCH" tradesman about his tools and he will say the same, do you ever see top notch tradesmen with B&Q tools ?????

I am sure there may be someone somewhere that has managed to make a decent bullet with Lee equipment once or twice......but even a busted clock tells the right time twice a day.

Edited by robbobsam

Ian.

Top man Ian.

hats off to you.

That is a very nice piece of kit.

I use all Redding gear.

I have a full set of comp dies which work really well.

I have not had to do a full length size yet, I only ever neck size. I resize to .001" below finished size and only resize .15" deep. I clean the inside of the necks with wire brush in slow drill to ensure clean and uniform.

A friend has RCBS and he does well with them too.

I wouldn't use Lee if given to me as a gift. If you just want to make cheap ammo and you shoot 100yards and don't mind if it is in a 1-2" group then lee is fine.

Contact any reloading center eg. Midway uk, Reloading solutions, Norman Clarkes etc...etc...etc.... they all say the same.

If you want top notch results buy top notch gear........ buy cheap....you make cheap.

Ask any "TOP NOTCH" tradesman about his tools and he will say the same, do you ever see top notch tradesmen with B&Q tools ?????

I am sure there may be someone somewhere that has managed to make a decent bullet with Lee equipment once or twice......but even a busted clock tells the right time twice a day.

just out of interest , have you ever tried lee dies please.

just out of interest , have you ever tried lee dies please.

Yes, a mate at my gym has some and has just sold it after trying my gear and seeing the difference in the ammo produced. He had a Sako rifle and couldn't get it to group under 1" at 100yds with his "LEE" homeloads. He asked me to try and make a load for him and within 1 afternoon I managed to get the rifle grouping consistently using Berger 80 grain bullets and varget with my gear. I tried to use his gear to produce the same loadswith really **** results. I just couldnt get them to seat consistently and measuring the seating and adjusting the seating was very difficult. Lee gear is ideal if you are on a shoestring and are happy with 1-2" groups at 100yds. I am not happy with that sort of grouping so I buy better.

It really isn't rocket science....... read the books, buy the gear and take your time........Result !!!

Yes, a mate at my gym has some and has just sold it after trying my gear and seeing the difference in the ammo produced. He had a Sako rifle and couldn't get it to group under 1" at 100yds with his "LEE" homeloads. He asked me to try and make a load for him and within 1 afternoon I managed to get the rifle grouping consistently using Berger 80 grain bullets and varget with my gear. I tried to use his gear to produce the same loadswith really **** results. I just couldnt get them to seat consistently and measuring the seating and adjusting the seating was very difficult. Lee gear is ideal if you are on a shoestring and are happy with 1-2" groups at 100yds. I am not happy with that sort of grouping so I buy better.

It really isn't rocket science....... read the books, buy the gear and take your time........Result !!!

was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt , but after reading this i have come to the conclusion that you are a proper amateur

and that my 4 year old grandson knows more.

you have no where near the time put in to come to that conclusion.