The Student Protests

Mungler

I am a student and for me the problem is what you mention as the stereo type, university places are wasted and the value of degrees are diminished. If it was 9k a year for me to go to uni i would not have bothered! i would be in an apprentiship or in the forces. A degree is becoming meaningless, hopefully the upped cost will add some value back! who needs a degree in David Beckham?!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They winge and complain about having to invest in their own future, but once qualified and working, would probably think nothing of getting large mortgages to invest in a property. Make them pay the lot, they do their degrees for selfish reasons, certainly not for my benefit. Don't want to say for something or think You can't afford it? Then don't do it, just like the rest of us. Furthermore, how come the lazy **** have about four months off every year? Give them the same leave as the rest of us, then maybe these degrees wouldn't take as long and they could then save a bit of money. Lazy workshy tosspots.

Ofcourse people want to earn money for their own benefit isn't that what everyone does? You just can't brand an entire student population "lazy" "selfish" "Workshy" when infact a large proportion of people are there to work and receive a good education to find employment in the future. You pay taxes which in turn pay for students fee's, however what about the future when you require a pension, increased and free medical attention? Students who have found professional employment will be funding for these services for you when you are no longer economically active via increased taxation. Your words suggest that you just as selfish as you claim students to be.

Ofcourse people want to earn money for their own benefit isn't that what everyone does? You just can't brand an entire student population "lazy" "selfish" "Workshy" when infact a large proportion of people are there to work and receive a good education to find employment in the future. You pay taxes which in turn pay for students fee's, however what about the future when you require a pension, increased and free medical attention? Students who have found professional employment will be funding for these services for you when you are no longer economically active via increased taxation. Your words suggest that you just as selfish as you claim students to be.

Not at all? I've always done endeavoured to say my own way and take responsibility for my own actions and own future. However i never expect others to do it for me, neither did i go on a wrecking spree when things didn't go my way. Although the metropolitan police should bear some responsibility for taking such a soft stance against that lot. But again what are the parents going to do about these yobs? If i caught my daughter involved in the likes of that i would be giving her a boot us the ****. One thing that i do find unfair in the whole affair is MP's from outside England voting on a matter that is only for English universities.

First off i hope (and very much doubt) that anybody here opposes peacefull protest. I don't think that i am the only person on this site who went to London in 1998, and in 2002 in support of the Countryside March.

However vandalism is another thing.

Just asking a Question? Do we know for certain that those involved in the wrecking are students? Or were they there to cause trouble for troubles sake?

Aled

Edited by Aled

watching the news,and seeing the amount of violence and distruction that went on you have to remember the students that are doing all this will one day be teaching your children/grandchildren,do you really want that?will be leaders of industy and could even be your doctor or lawyer,real pillars of the community ?

Protest,yes .violence and destruction,sorry No

john

Edited by officerdibble777

I believe very few students were involved in the worst of the violence . I bet it is the same crowd who used to have the dreadlocks and mohicans but who have wised up because of cctv etc . It is the same rent a mob we used to get since the 1980,s .

More worrying is that these protests are supported by a much larger number of the teachers , doctors an lawyers of the future as said above . With rising unemployment , cutbacks , increasing cost of living etc I think this might just be the start of the unrest .

Edited by vole

I'd have liked to see a bit more police violence used, the tactics they are using to appease the lilly livered liberals are still coming in for flack and what else are they meant to do when they can't give the troublemakers a bit of a battering. personally one of the worst bits I saw was the barriers and poles being thrown at the horses, its not doing their cause much good at the moment

Get those work-shy pot-smoking free-loaders back out on the streets of London today with mops and brooms to clear up their mess. Then add the Police overtime bill to their fees.

Get the CCTV footage of those the attacked the Royal Limo and charge them with High Treason and award capital punishment.

Maybe that will put things back in perspective for them.

Nige

From what ive seen and heard the violence was mainly kids planning on going to uni in t he next few years, so kids currently doing A levels (generally the ones that in my opinion havent yet grown up.) I dont agree with violence in protesting at all, although i do see that some people will feel it is the only way to get heard.

I think alot of degrees can be done in 2 years easily. I did my degree distance learning in 2 years whilst keeping a full time job, so if i can manage to work hard and complete it in a shorter time, then students who are at uni full time should definitely be able to. Degrees like medicine, veterinary science etc. i think should stay at 4 years plus to complete as these courses require alot more knowledge than others.

Maybe the uni fees going up will make distance learning degrees and 'private degrees' more popular? I know of the BPP Law School as private and offers an unergraduate degree and is well thought of.

I think its about time these so called students where giving a helping hand by are government

Say like a free communal shower wouldnt go a miss ;)

I know for a fact if my boys where involved in anything like what happen yesterday.

Then it would not be students fees they would be worried about today.

Proud to be British

Not at the moment if thats what my generation have giving life too.

Hilarious quote on BBC website

University of London students union president Clare Solomon said: "Any harm to our students is on the head of the police and they will be feeling the full force of the student movement and we urge them to desist in their violence."

I bet the police are quaking in their boots.

Rioting is probably the hardest work most of these trumpets will ever do.

16 years ago I grafted my a**e off when I was at uni but still had to take out a loan to make ends meet. I'm in the process of paying my loan back because I'm now in the financial position of being able to do so - no whining or quibbling from this end.

Kick them out of their cosy McDegree courses & get them into a bloody uniform - B.A. Harsh Reality (Hons.) 1.1 :D

Edited by Egg

What a lot of people on here seem to be missing is not that students are against paying towards their education, in fact none that I have heard interviews have stated that and most have expressed a wish to contribute.

It is the fact that it is to TRIPLE in price and will automatically make attendance at university more elitist, with the rich not caring and the poor not being able to afford to go.

Class War anyone???

Ironically, I suspect that many of the people slating them for protesting about such a significant increase in costs, potentially disrupting their planned futures beyond their control will be the same people on here in January bellyaching about the VAT rise :rolleyes:

We are all about to be bent over by this government as with Maggie, but they have the foresight not to just steamroller in as she did but are attempting to divide the country in the hopes that we don't notice what they are doing as we are too busy squabbling among ourselves!!

As for that jug-eared **** Charlie and his waste of blood and gristle missus, what the hell were they doing there anyway??

'Oh Charlie, can we go and see the proles get a right royal shafting off the government on the way home, might put me in the mood for one too'.

Claims of treason against these puppets, please!!

Charlie lives there thats what he was doing there, as for it being a class issue how many parents are going to stump up 9k a year for their kids while at uni? some may but the majority won't and realistically that then leaves the students on an even footing. They will be equally qualified and in theory earn the same over a lifetime so why should it be down to parents to pay

What a lot of people on here seem to be missing is not that students are against paying towards their education, in fact none that I have heard interviews have stated that and most have expressed a wish to contribute.

It is the fact that it is to TRIPLE in price and will automatically make attendance at university more elitist, with the rich not caring and the poor not being able to afford to go.

Class War anyone???

Ironically, I suspect that many of the people slating them for protesting about such a significant increase in costs, potentially disrupting their planned futures beyond their control will be the same people on here in January bellyaching about the VAT rise :rolleyes:

We are all about to be bent over by this government as with Maggie, but they have the foresight not to just steamroller in as she did but are attempting to divide the country in the hopes that we don't notice what they are doing as we are too busy squabbling among ourselves!!

As for that jug-eared **** Charlie and his waste of blood and gristle missus, what the hell were they doing there anyway??

'Oh Charlie, can we go and see the proles get a right royal shafting off the government on the way home, might put me in the mood for one too'.

Claims of treason against these puppets, please!!

I cant believe your dragging that up.....its the LABOUR party that has got us into this mess....NOT maggie thatcher.....

shaun

I cant believe your dragging that up.....its the LABOUR party that has got us into this mess....NOT maggie thatcher.....

shaun

Not disputing that chap, but I don't think that the conservative agenda has changed much over the years. Labour may have put the icing on the cake but the country's downward spiral began many years ago.

Please don't speak ill of the royal family. I am a huge fan and I would guess a fair few others on here are too.

It just makes you look a tad silly.

Please don't speak ill of the royal family. I am a huge fan and I would guess a fair few others on here are too.

It just makes you look a tad silly.

No, it just makes me look like someone who couldn't care less about them!

Be a fan all you wish, but I will not temper my opinion to keep royalists happy I'm afraid.

Edited by 955i