oh dear

roadkill

T Are they going to say “Oh Hard luck but I bet he took every reasonable precaution and dismantled his gun before stopping off at the shop” ? …no of course not…. they are ignorantly going to say “what sort of idiot leaves a gun and its ammunition in a car unattended even for a minute. ? deserves to be prosecuted”

That’s the way it is like it or not. With the Publics and Authorities constant reviewing of Firearm law and security in the light of the Dunblane, Cumbria and Tyneside shootings the Home Office will be looking at these type of security incidents with a really thick magnifying glass in the years ahead and it may well prevent sensible people from obtaining a Shotgun or FAC as easily as it appears to be now.

Mike you are wrong and entirely wrong, If you leave a gun in the car for a good reason and you have the gun out of sight preferable with the bolt or forend off you do not get prosecuted, and that isn't making it up that is fact.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike you are wrong and entirely wrong, If you leave a gun in the car for a good reason and you have the gun out of sight preferable with the bolt or forend off you do not get prosecuted, and that isn't making it up that is fact.

No I ;) dont believe I am...with respect you are looking at it from the point of view of the minority, the shotgun or FA licence holder.

I'm looking at it from a legal perspective coupled with what actually happens here on planet earth is there another way of looking at it?

I know you don't really shoot but even you must see were you not to leave guns at any time in cars it would take some doing.

Thats all very well but you would normally expect someone to be resident in a house during the majority of the day. All said and done this case has done nothing to further the image of shotgun users in this country. Put yourself in the position of the majority (Joe Public) now when you read this in the paper… Are they going to say “Oh Hard luck but I bet he took every reasonable precaution and dismantled his gun before stopping off at the shop” ? …no of course not…. they are ignorantly going to say “what sort of idiot leaves a gun and its ammunition in a car unattended even for a minute. ? deserves to be prosecuted”

That’s the way it is like it or not. With the Publics and Authorities constant reviewing of Firearm law and security in the light of the Dunblane, Cumbria and Tyneside shootings the Home Office will be looking at these type of security incidents with a really thick magnifying glass in the years ahead and it may well prevent sensible people from obtaining a Shotgun or FAC as easily as it appears to be now.

Mike - if you hand in all your guns they will definitely not get stolen from you and you will have made every possible effort to have kept them safe eh? Very good preventitive measures there that would earn you loads of brownie points from the general public. :P

No I ;) dont believe I am...with respect you are looking at it from the point of view of the minority, the shotgun or FA licence holder.

im sorry but the law is the law and certificate holders are doing no wrong if they act within the realms of reasonableness- reasonable precaution would be taken by leaving gun, covered in boot in a locked vehicle to pop into shop of petrol station. end of story-you are wrong and depsite your claims I dont believe you have never done this.

Jesus christ there is some paranoid people on here. So the gun was left in a car? God forbid.

Anyone who says they take their gun and ammo with them if they stop off at a shop isn't fooling anyone. Toy guns do not count here fellas.

Anyone who actually shoots and owns a gun will have left theirs several times.

I know I have. The law says you need to make REASONABLE precautions to keep your guns safe. I would consider being locked in a car for a few minutes reasonable.

dead on how many have left a gun under the bed in a hotel room for instance,or in then boot of the car when the hotel wont allow guns in? or as WHOLE clubs do following a shoot night! leave their guns LOCKED out of sight in the boot as they have their after shoot meal? I do and will continue to do so, I will not become a raving paranoid schizophrenic just because there are low lifes out there who may get lucky, never heard out so daft in my life such as "its with me all the time" you have never gone away and left the house unnatended then eh! bet you have!!!

KW

I do shoot regularly…

I never stop off at the shop or the bank or the building society or the off licence.

When my guns are inside my property out of the reach of the general public they are locked in a gun safe

When they are outside they are in my possession at all times, not for a minute would I even think of leaving one unattended within reach of the public because thats how I was brought up with guns. When I got my first SGC and FAC it was the norm and much difficult than it is today it seems.

Im no saint but I cant imagine leaving a baby with Rotweiller for one minute while I answered the phone by the same token I wouldnt leave my guns in the car unattended.

All said and done they were nicked..QED

Im afraid I am from a different generation when things were done properly and you were accountable for your actions.

The original poster obviously thought there was an element of wrong in this chaps actions

It only takes a minute for this type of crime to occur , a minute that could have been catastrophic in its outcome…

I really dont understand why many of you think why this guy is not at fault and some way responsible for his actions…..

Like I said…a different generation…

Goodwill to all.

It is one thing trying to claim the moral high ground Mike, but it doesn't wash. So you claim that you are NEVER without your gun unless it is locked in your safe? It is never left in your car while you have a cuppa with your mates after a clay shoot? You have NEVER had to stop for fuel on your way anywhere while carrying your gun? NEVER popped in the pub for a pint after a shoot? Never had to stop to get some cash out of the hole in the wall?

NEVER, EVER,?

I for one don't believe you and to say you were brought up when things were done right is laughable. most houses up until 25 years ago had a gun lean up against the wall behind the back door. How is that showing what is responsible?

Mike I've just nearly left the remnants of my lunch on my monitor. Your generation weren't licensed other than what they bought down the post office, certainly rarely had gunsafes and lots left guns in outbuildings or wherever convenient, and the guns are still turning up from lofts now. However there was little crime and few issues, I don't see how you could ever go shooting in a different part of the country with that approach. Its not saying everyone else is slack with them as they aren't its just what is reasonable and practicable.

It is one thing trying to claim the moral high ground Mike, but it doesn't wash. So you claim that you are NEVER without your gun unless it is locked in your safe? It is never left in your car while you have a cuppa with your mates after a clay shoot? You have NEVER had to stop for fuel on your way anywhere while carrying your gun? NEVER popped in the pub for a pint after a shoot? Never had to stop to get some cash out of the hole in the wall?

NEVER, EVER,?

I for one don't believe you and to say you were brought up when things were done right is laughable. most houses up until 25 years ago had a gun lean up against the wall behind the back door. How is that showing what is responsible?

Yawn...its been done to death mate Im afraid ...I have never and will never leave my gun unattended and thats the truth, nothing to do with taking the moral high ground. The chap was an idiot, the gun got nicked, he should not have done it. I dont particularly care what you believe..... Merry xmas.

Yawn...its been done to death mate Im afraid ...I have never and will never leave my gun unattended and thats the truth, nothing to do with taking the moral high ground. The chap was an idiot, the gun got nicked, he should not have done it. I dont particularly care what you believe..... Merry xmas.

you also don't appear to care what the law requires from license holders either. Thats fine you obey Fishermanmikes law and the rest of us the real thing. The guy in question had a dismantled gun under the seat out of sight in a locked car. If he had a decent reason to stop he will be fine

you also don't appear to care what the law requires from license holders either. Thats fine you obey Fishermanmikes law and the rest of us the real thing. The guy in question had a dismantled gun under the seat out of sight in a locked car. If he had a decent reason to stop he will be fine

Now your being very childish... :yes:

seems to have escaped everyone,but I would think you would make a very good target for a mugger were you to be seen carring a gun around the street.Far safer to be in a locked and alarmed car.You probably already know that there are security products availabe to wire your gun to the car,they don't cost much and are fitted quickly

Enough stop this mud slinging we should respect each others views i do we all have said our piece why keep going on about this let it go cos my dad is bigger than yours :good:

I agree its just you get a little sick on here of people making the law up rather than people getting the correct information.

seems to have escaped everyone,but I would think you would make a very good target for a mugger were you to be seen carring a gun around the street.Far safer to be in a locked and alarmed car.You probably already know that there are security products availabe to wire your gun to the car,they don't cost much and are fitted quickly

Why carry it around the street ??? I just dont leave my guns unattended at anytime when im out in the public domain... Is there something wrong with this, Am i not acting responsibly...

We dont know the full details of how long this gun was unattended and there is more to come Im sure.

He was obviously right to disassemble it but to be honest if he didnt he probably wouldnt have got it under the seat anyway....

Lets say im a opportunist thief Hypothetically of course....I break into a car first place I look is in the glove box and the second???.....yep youve got it......

I had it drummed into me at an early age always always always be in possession of your weapon and never leave it unattended. If you are travelling regularly with it get a gun box.

I must be a criminal according to al4x for wanting to take accountability for my actions...

Like I said todays generation.... **** you lot im alright. :yes:

im not mudslinging at all, just putting my view accross which is my democratic right... I happen to think the guy was very foolish to leave his gun unattended in his car as it would be any valuable. Unfortunatley and this may not be right he is probably treated has the offender in cases like this.

Thats all..... so no more acidic personal comments please.

no you're fine Mike its your choice not to go on shooting holidays or travel far to go shooting but you were trying to tell everyone who does that it was illegal and its not. You have to take reasonable precautions as laid down by the police which have been detailed in this thread.

no you're fine Mike its your choice not to go on shooting holidays or travel far to go shooting but you were trying to tell everyone who does that it was illegal and its not. You have to take reasonable precautions as laid down by the police which have been detailed in this thread.

Sorry your not correct I never tried to tell anyone it was illegal....I just dont believe it was right admittedly and very foolish without a doubt. :yes: