Bird Flu

Country Boy

It is getting nearer, several new cases of bird-flu in northern Germany and all Scandinavian countrys told to take all poultry inside (no mention of pheasants though).

What will happen when it is finally discovered here in the UK, I think the government will see the opportunity to put the boot into field sports and also stop us shooting pigeons, crows etc!

Any of you guys got thoughts or comments on this latest phenomenon.

Thank you.

CB :{

I think if it comes the decision will go either of two ways

A) get your gun out and go for it

:rolleyes: most likely, next season will be wiped as far as duck and pheasant are concerned

hope its not the latter but with our fluffy teddy govt, knee jerks, are the only rational they understand, and its reached Germany now so I should imagine it will reach here before to long unless we mount a barrage of 12 bore at the coasts?

cheers KW

I think the Government will try to contain the outbreak in the area it occurs, by killing all domestic and farmed poultry in that area (as in Foot and Mouth) and banning the movement of birds.

When it breaks out in another area, they will do the same.

When it breaks out in another area they will do the same.

Ad infinitum. :rolleyes:

There's all sorts of questions about an issue of bird flu that we can't know about. Questions like how the disease jumps from birds to humans and what sort of contact needs to be avoided, and whether this changes depending on the bird species. I reckon if they're scared about the disease spreading to humans and pigeons are capable of passing it onto humans, they're not gonna advise us to head out there bashin them without the correct (and dreaded) 'health and safety' equipment etc etc. But remains to be seen whether it will be a huge problem or not.......?

Potentially there could be huge implications. Sale of birds at markets etc is already banned at present, as is showing of birds (without a special license from DEFRA)

Racing pigeons over the chanel will be a no..no, as will grouped club/fed training sessions.

As a keen pigeon fancier and shooter, the things I love most are in jepardy.

worrying times ahead I fear :/

I think the Government will try to contain the outbreak in the area it occurs, by killing all domestic and farmed poultry in that area (as in Foot and Mouth) and banning the movement of birds.

When it breaks out in another area, they will do the same.

When it breaks out in another area they will do the same.

Ad infinitum. :lol:

try banning the pigeons and crows from moving to a nice newly swathed rape field !! :/ :o :/

I think we have a real problem. Sounds as if our Government reckon we are safe from the speed of reaction so far.

I think they should act quick ban the importing of birds, fowl and game etc. I know that shall F... up the rearing and poult costs will be sky high, I just feel we should act fast and strong.

I lived slap bang in the middle of foot and mouth, this would only be on a small scale but I can guess there would be a mass cull of domestic hens and fowl etc if it arrives. There are millions of ducks and poultry kept on a small scale.

I reckon the wild birds shall take care of themselves, nature shall run it's course.

Hammy

People have to register their birds now, wether it's a few hundred Pheasants in a rearing pen or a dozen free range Hens you legally have to register them.If an outbreak occurs in your area you can be assured they'll want to destroy all the registered birds first.

Normal human flu virus can live on the skin for 1 hour before dying, I wonder if this is simillar??

They lost their shooting season in some of the eastern European countries this year, might be us next year??? :/

Mark.