Rear Diff Strengths

Billy.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are linked by the diff :yes: if its all working ok them turn one wheel and the other goes backwards

If I release the clutch, I get nothing but a clicking sound.

If I spin the wheel, it just spins with no resistance.

I don't have axle stands, so I couldn't check if the other spun the other way...

...Anyway, the guy's not arrived as he's waiting on someone to return a trailer :(

I take back what I said. I've got a socket set on route. I'll do it properly.

This thread made me feel a million times more confident about it not needing a new diff :)

Failure of the shaft is characterised by a loud bang from the axle, accompanied by loss of drive to the rear wheels.
Edited by Billy.

:lol: I couldn't shift those bolts for love nor money :blush: It's like they're welded on...

Guess I'll wait until tomorrow until someone with a proper toolkit arrives

Spray them with diesel (keep a litre in a squirty bottle windowlene style) and use that to loosen the bolts leave it to soak in overnight. if it hasnt been done and a shaft has gone repalce the fluid in the Diff cant remember if the diffs have a magnetic sump plug to catch the swarf and **** that builds up in the casing (if not see if you can get a one witha magnet on it to save further issues down the line HAlf shafts are cheaper, but get a pro to check for wear no good repalcing half shafts if the main gear is 90% worn.

range rover and defender 24 spline diffs are the same, (ratio 3.54) older series landrovers ARE different but 10 spline and 4.7 ratio. If the halfshaft has broken it usually breaks in the diff so you'll need to get the bit out, either by removing both halfshafts and the diff or by using one of these http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Shaft.asp ) change the oil anyway as you'll get the 'bits' from the broken shaft

Edited by hobbit

You own a green oval product yet don't own a heavy duty socket set? :oops:

BFH

4ft scaffold bar

Blow torch

3/4" or even 1" socket set with impact sockets.

Mandatory items, I am surprised they don't come in the tool kit to be honest!

I wish I'd read that earlier.

One fractured socket later, I've given up and await a professional to arrive tomorrow with proper kit.

Matergrip - Don't live up to their name.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Honestly, ask me any question about the iPhone and I'm your man. Give me a car to fix and I'm useless :lol:

If the half shafts are OK and you have both wheels in the air as you spin one side the other will rotate in the opposite direction.

If you have one wheel on the ground you won't be able to turn them if the half shafts are intact. Unless of course the diff is cattle trucked.

they are linked by the diff :yes: if its all working ok them turn one wheel and the other goes backwards

Fellas the turning force will go in the path of least resistance, so yes turning one wheel with the other off the ground will spin backwards ( less resistance than turning the gear box), with that wheel on the ground (or a tight brake) the prop (and gears) will turn (as long as the hand brake is off), but if a half shaft is broke then that is easy to turn, almost no resistance, however a stripped pinion gear would offer little resistance so with both wheels in the air the drive might spin the crown ring and not the opposite wheel.

Edited by Paul223

Honestly, ask me any question about the iPhone and I'm your man. Give me a car to fix and I'm useless :lol:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=26215 and http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=26261 should see you right....

Xmas is coming......

You will amass an impressive collection if you keep the LR for long.... a decent chest is also required

I wish I'd read that earlier.

One fractured socket later, I've given up and await a professional to arrive tomorrow with proper kit.

Get yourself down to halfords and by some of their tools the professional range, fair play it's good stuff for the money you pay, if i had to replace all my gear then I'd be seriously considering using the halfords stuff

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_173083_langId_-1_categoryId_165572cm_cr=No+Campaign-_-Web+Activity-_-07-XMASP1-WORKSHOP-M-1-_-PRODCAT_ESPOTMAIN_165532-_-07-XMASP1-WORKSHOP-M-1

Edited by Paul223

Landrover transmissions are notoriously weak compared to other manufacturers. Especially if going up a tyre size or using them a bit more off road. As mentioned half shafts are often the easy solution and standard replacements are cheap. If you don't want them to go again ashcrofts transmissions do heavy duty halfshafts cv's etc which are much much better and shouldn't break. If it is the halfshaft that has gone you will probably want to check for debris / damage in the diff too. The 3.54 diffs should be pretty similar, but remember land rover used the salsibury rear axle on the 110's for the extra strength.

Diagnosis so far...

The Landy is in extremely good condition. The half shafts are in working order, so it's the diff. (The prop spins, so it's nothing further up from that)

So sadly it's going to cost what I originally thought it would...

Thanks all for your help.

..If there's something good to be got out of it all... One of the lads who helped me get it on the trailer does loads of lamping