on the rape tomorrow

bignoel

Hi

Good luck :good:

I have 3 fields Im looking after and the pigeons are desperate to eat the rape, reasonable size flocks as well.

IM out after them tomorrow might even have a quick look this morning depends on the missus if she will let that is :hmm:

Alan

well it was a **** day plenty of pigeons just wouldn't decoy the odd one or two would but nothing great we ended on 24 but still a enjoyable day .heading out again tomorrow for more punishment lol

I've been out a lots and haven't had a result that good, max was 11, they just don't decoy in for me either.

What pattern are you using when you put your decoys out. ??????

Many years ago, as I'm an old ***, I had a long chat with Old Archie Coates.

He explained that as far as any pattern is concerned it should always face into the wind and MUST be an inverted V (apex into the wind) you only need a minimum of 3 decoys, or 5, or 7 etc making the V. You can watch birds feeding all day and try and copy there pattern and it will fail.

He said you must think like a bird, Why does it have 340 deg vision--because the Hawk attacks from behind, why does it have mono & stereo vision--so it can lock onto a single blade of grass or twig to land on.

Now the last bird either side of the V is Hawk bait--so the incomming bird will always overfly those points and land as close to the front bird as possible.

I know it may sound daft but believe me it works every time, my son & I always have the birds committed and into any pattern we lay out and have good bags.

Trust me try it.

Best Regards and Happy New Year.

He explained that as far as any pattern is concerned it should always face into the wind and MUST be an inverted V (apex into the wind) you only need a minimum of 3 decoys, or 5, or 7 etc making the V. You can watch birds feeding all day and try and copy there pattern and it will fail.

He said you must think like a bird, Why does it have 340 deg vision--because the Hawk attacks from behind, why does it have mono & stereo vision--so it can lock onto a single blade of grass or twig to land on.

Now the last bird either side of the V is Hawk bait--so the incomming bird will always overfly those points and land as close to the front bird as possible.

I know it may sound daft but believe me it works every time, my son & I always have the birds committed and into any pattern we lay out and have good bags.

Trust me try it.

Must try that 3 bird decoy pattern on the 200 acre OSR field and watch them stoop in there hundreds with me shoot right and lefts one after another :hmm: .

I must have missed that pattern :lol:

Cheers OTH

Trust me try it.

You what 3 decoys even 7 decoys :hmm: like said on 100 acres of rape the birds would not see them and too say it works every time come on dont give me that you will never get it right every time your out thats what makes it what it is :yes:

My Son & I have over 1000 Acres of Rape and we set up on Flight Lines, Sitting Trees etc having done our recon and yes the max amount of decoys I will put out is 9, in the V pattern. I also use the Rota and if required 2 rota's, the pattern is never more than 10-15 yrds from the hide and the Rota is placed near to the pattern.

Think about the Hawk situation fron the birds point of view, it does make perfect sense. Our bags vary from 100+ each in two hides to 50-60 on a regular basis.

Try the concept and see what you think, I didn't believe it at first but by god it works. Old Archie was one of the best full time Pigeon Shooters in the UK so I went with it and have enjoyed the benifits of his imparted knowledge from that day on.

I was only trying to pass on some hints & tips for those not getting as many in the bag as they would like.

Anyway good shooting. Best Regards.

My Son & I have over 1000 Acres of Rape and we set up on Flight Lines, Sitting Trees etc having done our recon and yes the max amount of decoys I will put out is 9, in the V pattern. I also use the Rota and if required 2 rota's, the pattern is never more than 10-15 yrds from the hide and the Rota is placed near to the pattern.

Think about the Hawk situation fron the birds point of view, it does make perfect sense. Our bags vary from 100+ each in two hides to 50-60 on a regular basis.

Try the concept and see what you think, I didn't believe it at first but by god it works. Old Archie was one of the best full time Pigeon Shooters in the UK so I went with it and have enjoyed the benifits of his imparted knowledge from that day on.

I was only trying to pass on some hints & tips for those not getting as many in the bag as they would like.

Tried your 3 bird pattern yesterday the only problem is HAWK dived in took my two outer birds which left me with a ONE bird pattern :lol:

Kind regards OTH

cant see why it wouldnt work theres been a few times when i have hit one hard over the decoys and its flown a 100yds out in the field and dropped stone dead then nearly every pigeon that comes past goes and drops straight in with that 1 dead bird. so why should it not work with just 3 gonna give it a go tomorrow, but i will be taking all my decoys just in case!

Trust me try it.

i use a V patten or a dog leg patten but we tried a small flock group patten all faceing in to the wind

Oh now i see , in your first post you said you used 3 decoys but you did not say with 1 or 2 magnets thats where i think we all got lost a bit :yes:

My mate just sticks out his magnet sometimes and shoots good bags ,but for me this time of year the more the better :good: