Ok people .223 decision time

Bowen20

Ok im going to be getting a .223 soon when my variation comes back so ive been looking at lots and lots of rifles reading review after review and looking at what best suits my shooting needs.. but you cant beat a second opinion so here goes. Rifles in question in order of what i like the best:

1). Howa Model 1500 Thumbhole Varminter Supreme .223 comes with WILDCAT PREDATOR 8 SOUND MODERATOR all new £979.00

24 inch stainless barrell 1:12 twist

2). Remington .223 700 SPS Tactical screw cut £695.00 + WILDCAT PREDATOR 8 SOUND MODERATOR £235.00 all new. Total £930.00

20 inch barrell 1:9 twist

3). Remington .223 700 SPS Varmint screw cut £649.00 + WILDCAT PREDATOR 8 SOUND MODERATOR £235.00 all new. Total £884.00

26 inch barrell 1:12 Twist.

Which would you guys go for if you had the choice or what would be your order of best to crapest?

Thanks for your advice in advance guys. Cheers. Mark.

Foxes most at night but some daytime rabbit shooting i wouldnt mind having a go at a bit of long range well around 300 yrds on wabbits and maybe a little further not done it before so would like to have the option. just i like the 2nd option but the 20 inch barrell puts me off a little and the stock being flexable heard poor things about it touching the barrell when using a bi pod and so on although i do like the rifle alot and action etc.

What about the Sako or Tikka range? The good thing about the Rem 700 is you can custom it to the max, mates got one in .243 and looks the business, spent £5500 and got a Nightforce ontop, well ice rifle. As Dekers said earlier they are the Ford of rifles, mass produce and always do the job. Im sure whatever you choose it will be the right one, but your best bet is to go and pick one up to find out if its for you or not. I like the Howa 1500 with Hogue stock, nice and grippy, picked one up the other day, seems ok, but I would go for the Tikka T3 or the Rem 700 personally, If not Sako 75/85.

Look, we all buy what we think we want/need and then in time hopefully get what is right.

Personally the answer to your original question is NONE of them, I wouldn't consider any for your requirements, most have a flagpole of a barrel and ALL are stupidly heavy for walking more than a few yards with!

I have a .223 T3 Lite Stainless with 19" barrel and P8 Mod, it V Bulls ALL day at 600 yards in the right hands and you can carry it around 24/7 in the field without crippling yourself!

What is it that has headed you down the route of such heavy guns with generally such long barrels?

ATB!

Edit

My T3 Lite is 1-8 twist, shoots everything between 40-75g!

Edited by Dekers

With a standard 1:12 twist 26" barrel at 300yds you are on the standard factory loaded ammunitions limit.

if you want to stretch things further you need the 1:9 twist barrel to stabilise higher BC heavier bullets but NOT a 20" version, its estimated you shed about 50fps of velocity for every inch of barrel lost.

Another consideration worth bearing in mind is that for 1:9 twist barrels there is little factory loaded ammo with suitable heavy bullets, this being the domain of the handloader.

Ian.

Edited by Vermincinerator

Ok im going to be getting a .223 soon when my variation comes back so ive been looking at lots and lots of rifles reading review after review and looking at what best suits my shooting needs.. but you cant beat a second opinion so here goes. Rifles in question in order of what i like the best:

1). Howa Model 1500 Thumbhole Varminter Supreme .223 comes with WILDCAT PREDATOR 8 SOUND MODERATOR all new £979.00

24 inch stainless barrell 1:12 twist

2). Remington .223 700 SPS Tactical screw cut £695.00 + WILDCAT PREDATOR 8 SOUND MODERATOR £235.00 all new. Total £930.00

20 inch barrell 1:9 twist

3). Remington .223 700 SPS Varmint screw cut £649.00 + WILDCAT PREDATOR 8 SOUND MODERATOR £235.00 all new. Total £884.00

26 inch barrell 1:12 Twist.

Which would you guys go for if you had the choice or what would be your order of best to crapest?

Thanks for your advice in advance guys. Cheers. Mark.

iv got a t3 hunter (wood stock) and its great,what put me off the remingtons was the lack of a detachable mag the same with the howa get a tikka you wont go wrong :good:

Hmmmm seems loads of people have got a tikka I've looked at the tikka t3 varmint they look nice and aren't too pricey I will have to pick one up and have a look at them hopefully I will be able to get to a gunshop Tuesday thanks guys your advice has been taken on board

Hi mate my view , Remmy700 223 tactical ,sub 1" groups @100yds easy , houge stock nice grippy a bit flexy but does not affect poi , if i use a bipod i fix it so the legs folds forward ,it just puts the legs a little further back . A good basic rifle as stated plenty of customiseing options a good all rounder , i know ive had one for 3wks more than pleased and i chose on what felt ok to me not on price! , good hunting gb

Edited by bongo321

T3

Not the Howa, many will disagree, i dont care.

Remington seem to work very well out of the box, not sure if their triggers are still rough/require replacing? Fister is the local expert on Rem's

Be careful about buying a Varmint barrel, hunter profile barrels are (in my experience) just as accurate over 5 shots. And your accuracy wont be affected by lugging the thing around. It also wont limit your choice of mods.

Also for what its worth, the faster twist rates in some models of the TIkka seem to still work fine with 50 grains, even if on paper this might not be the perfect twist. Tikka/Sako are not new to this, they wouldn't of done it if it was going to prevent you using light Varmint rounds.

At the risk of repeating myself...

Browning A-Bolt screwcut - £488

Predator 8 Compact - £200

Total - £688

....and the Browning (like the Tikka) has a mag AND floorplate. The prices above are what I paid for a .243 but should hold for .223 too if you shop about.

The A bolt is an impressive package, Sussexlads brother has one that is very nicely made indeed and equally effective. However this video and several reports of barrels falling to bits after loading error do leave me slightly concerned. Yes your an idiot if your reloading causes this, but i would rather be an idiot with a left hand, which i wouldn't be with a Rem 700 or A bolt by the looks of that video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4AqMl1A4aQ

yes i think these guys are right i would most certainly go for a Tikka T3 1/12 twist. i am still using a tikka m595 great. 15 years hard work and only lost the cap off the back off the bolt housing.and i could still buy the cap from GMK but havent yet. faultless if you look after em.