looking for a good coach in essex

Dont waste your money with them, the guy there hasnt won a raffle prize let alone any county titles....

Just ask around, those who have success are the ones that you need to learn by, be taught by someone who has been there & done it !!!!....google the the names who have been mentioned, its up to you where you spend your money but success breeds success

Dont waste your money with them, the guy there hasnt won a raffle prize let alone any county titles....

Just ask around, those who have success are the ones that you need to learn by, be taught by someone who has been there & done it !!!!....google the the names who have been mentioned, its up to you where you spend your money but success breeds success

Well said you may just struggle to find anybody in essex with that background :lol:

Cheers OTH

I disagree entirely with your statement, just because someone is a good shot doesn't mean they can tell you how to be one.

If they have won something it means THEY can shoot well, look at Catamong for example. He apparently had an England team badge back in the day before sliced bread was in the shops yet he never helps anyone. He just slags them off all the time.

Michael Alldiss has never been world champion as far as I am aware, neither has Robert Radcliffe in Colchester but both of them will get you shooting well.

Another Dunmow lad! That makes two of us here now.

I go up the Fennes once a month; good selection of traps and the tuiton from the ladies is very good. Stuart used to be up there years ago, not sure where he is these days with all the changes that have gone on up there.

If they have won something it means THEY can shoot well, look at Catamong for example. He apparently had an England team badge back in the day before sliced bread was in the shops yet he never helps anyone. He just slags them off all the time.

Well, with a comment like that you're deffo off my Christmas Card list for 2011. :angry:

I'll have you know I ran my own little clay shoot for many years, and introduced literally dozens of people into the sport, some were quicker learners than others, but they all benefitted from my basic coaching that got them all breaking targets :yes:

You don't have to be an ex Champion to coach newbies, but for those who want to progress beyond the "strawbale" stage and become serious competitors, I would always recommend coaching with somebody who's achieved success on the competition circuit.

Cat.

My choice would be either Stuart Clarke, John Dyson or Philip Thorrold.

Well, with a comment like that you're deffo off my Christmas Card list for 2011. :angry:

I'll have you know I ran my own little clay shoot for many years, and introduced literally dozens of people into the sport, some were quicker learners than others, but they all benefitted from my basic coaching that got them all breaking targets :yes:

You don't have to be an ex Champion to coach newbies, but for those who want to progress beyond the "strawbale" stage and become serious competitors, I would always recommend coaching with somebody who's achieved success on the competition circuit.

Cat.

My choice would be either Stuart Clarke, John Dyson or Philip Thorrold.

Woo Hoo,

Mission accomplished

Cat.

My choice would be either Mungler, MC or Poontang.

:good::good::good:

While I don't know MC or Catamong (as far as i'm aware!), I would generally agree with MC's comments - for any sport,not just shooting, past personal performance doesn't necessarily make for a good instructor, particularly at beginner or grass root level. Clearly if you have an experienced / higher level performer looking for instruction it would be difficult for someone to give them coaching who has not experienced the same issues and problems. Long Barrel Boy has made it clear that he is fairly new to the sport, as such I would suggest that you essex chaps point him in the direction of someone who is adept at providing well structured Beginners instruction and making it fun!

Years back I qualified as a fencing coach (which is another minority sport in which a fair proportion of begginer coaching is about dispelling peoples preconceived ideas) and clearly remember the first coaching course i went on . Having been fencing since about 10 (i was about 18 at the time) my preconception was that someone needed to be fencing in a club for about a year before they entered a competition and needed to have a couple of years of competing before they be considered experienced. Imagine my horror then when i turned up at this 2 day basic instructors course to discover that half the people on the course where gym or activities instructors from leisure centres and holiday camps ,who had never picked up a sword previously. But to be fair, by the end of two days, we fencers had picked up two days of coaching instruction and the activities instructors had picked up two intensive days of fencing training and both groups were sufficiently trained to provide a short "Taster" course of fencing lessons.

While these leisure centre instructors would not be capable of taking people further than these basic lessons, having them providing these sessions in centre parks and leisure centres had the effect of introducing a lot of new people to the sport, some of whoom, having enjoyed the experience, would seek out a local club.

Now i'm not saying that the same would work with shooting because i wouldn't advocate a non shooter training others with live amunition after 2 days training - it would be a safety nightmare :o , but it should well demonstrate the point that it doesent take 8 years expeience, international competion or a cupboard full of trophys to be a grass roots sports coach - admittedly none of the above would be a hinderance but its far more important that the coach has personal skills and coaching skills for coaching grass root sportsmen.