Do you know what a 1000yds looks like

Kenyan

With modern rifles and modern ammunition your everyday shooters are really starting to push the envelope when it come to range.

Shooters that may be were completely happy with a few hours of 100yrd plinking 5 years ago are now knocking on gongs at 300-600yrds on a regular basis.

Some have taken the leap into 1000yrd Fclass or benchrest.

Far far do you regularly shoot out to?

For those of you who have no idea what a 1000yrds looks like from behind the rifle heres one you might be interested in.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDEZztW9kzpCB3_Uh2Qyh_PUgIGNKyFutMBCvhX958giOPpSsh

Edited by Kenyan

I shoot 1000 yards at Bisley from time to time, I love it, and it no longer seems all that far.

However, when sitting in a high seat and a deer comes out from the furthest corner of the wood, perhaps 300 yards I don't take the shot as it looks too far for my level of skill.

I spend a bit of time looking at the various ranges whenever I am at Bisley, it is surprising how that can help range estimation in the field. I have a rangefinder but rarely take it out with me unless I am static, or on completely new land. Most shots I take are well under 100 yards, although we were pushed out to 200 yards last trip to Scotland, that was just the result of unfavourable conditions.

As Kenyan says, with modern rifles, ammunition, and dedication to your chosen sport, extended ranges are very acheivable.

We regularly shoot gongs (65mm dia) at 600 yards, and extend the range to 800/900 yards a couple of times a month.

A recent visit to WMS, in far from ideal conditions, saw us plinking rabbit sized targets and Roe sized kill zones

at 740yards.

Stretching out to 1014 yards saw us grouping on a 10" gong.

This was with semi-custom stalking rifles, not custom F-Class or Benchrest rifles.

I was doing some training on Laser Guns the other week, and they say they are accurate to 600 Yards!

some people just dont appreciate how far 600 yards is when your using a red dot sight of about 10min with no Magnification trying to hit a number plate!

:rolleyes:

Luckily i had a photo of a 600 yard range on my phone taken the week previous! suffice to say it changed a few peoples minds!

Me and a pal both shoot 243, we zero at 100yards, and we normally shoot foxes at 150 or less under lamp, the longest around 250/300 we put a target out at a 1000 in his deer park, had a look through the scopes and thought let's not bother wasting rounds!!!!!

We have shot target at 500yard quite well, but with foxing and occasional deer we just don't Need/like or want to take these long shots on live quarry- leave that for the targets!

Prob' a stupid question, but here goes …

I was always told because of barrel harmonics that you should never have your barrel in contact with anything?

The picture looks to me as though the barrel is resting directly on the wooden frame?

Is it ok if you zero like this, and always shoot resting this way? Ie does zeroing compinsate

for the direct contact?

1000 yards certainly is a long way, but after a few times shooting / seeing people shoot at that range it has started to not look as far as it first did. My dad has shot 1000 yards at Diggle in the Pennines (picture on the first post) for about 7 years now with his Factory Rifle = .243 Remington 700 and his best group has been 7 and a bit inches which is considered very good shooting with a factory gun at that range. What I will say is that from my experience of spectating, the wind plays a massive part in the grouping the gun shoots. I've seen people shoot 4 bullets in about a 3 inch circle, only for the wind to suddenly change and the 5th bullet to fly off about 15 inches from the rest.

Dad and I use the same rifle for deer, foxes, rabbit, etc but the furthest I have seen dad shoot out to on deer is about 350 yards. Some may not like what I've just said but I believe that if you are confident with your gun and confident of hitting the target area then there is nothing wrong with this.

i dont think he's shooting at the first bank with the black plates, probably the whit bits near the horizon. Far enough anyway.

He better not be shooting at the first bank, that is commonly another firing point for shorter distances, hence why 1000 yard is seldom fired on lane 1.

Longer distances shoot to the right and as you get closer they shoot progressively more to the left (1 being furthest left)!, I have seen several diferent distances shot at the same time on this range and frankly it always concerns me, the same with Century and Short Siberia.

It is apparently safe, but let me put it like this, I would rather be at the longest distance on any range in these circumstances! :good:

1000 yards certainly is a long way, but after a few times shooting / seeing people shoot at that range it has started to not look as far as it first did. My dad has shot 1000 yards at Diggle in the Pennines (picture on the first post) for about 7 years now with his Factory Rifle = .243 Remington 700 and his best group has been 7 and a bit inches which is considered very good shooting with a factory gun at that range. What I will say is that from my experience of spectating, the wind plays a massive part in the grouping the gun shoots. I've seen people shoot 4 bullets in about a 3 inch circle, only for the wind to suddenly change and the 5th bullet to fly off about 15 inches from the rest.

Dad and I use the same rifle for deer, foxes, rabbit, etc but the furthest I have seen dad shoot out to on deer is about 350 yards. Some may not like what I've just said but I believe that if you are confident with your gun and confident of hitting the target area then there is nothing wrong with this.

I hope we are not going down the trolling line here again and 704yd hare but I will say my piece as if this is honest post. Firstly 243 for rabbits? The problem I have with shooting a deer at a range greater than 200yds is finding the deer and finishing it quickly and humanely if it runs a bit. Most of my shooting is woodland and surrounding pasture and to be honest you would have to wear bells on your knees to not be able to stalk to 100yds with the wind in the right direction.

I don't shoot alot of fox's and the ones I have are normally from a highseat but shooting those at extended ranges isnt such a problem as a 55gr 22 centrefire or 243 round will pretty much kill it unless you just blow a leg off. A couple of years ago I was out rabbit shooting with my hmr and I came across a Muntjac doe, I stalked it out of interest as it didnt look normal with its head stooped and I was upwind of it. I got to within 30yds of it and could see why it was hot running, the front part of its upper and lower jaw had been blown away, the poor thing was just stood there. Well a careful shot to the head put this poor thing out of its suffering, the wound was pretty fresh so hopefully it hadnt suffered for long. This is why I don't do long shots.

quite an interesting thread this but one that could become a "ime better than you" one.

just my 2p worth ive shot 1000 a few times and got 10" groups on the best of times. but i can shoot out to 300 and a bit more preaty well,i have shot foxes hares and crows at 300-400 with 223 and 6mmbr we have a christmass tree plantation hear aswell as the pheasant shoot so all critters like rabbits hares get shot with what ever we have in our hands at the time, if its a safe shot.

i dont se the problem with shooting deer at distance IF you CAN do it, last year i had a spanish client out stalking he was 15 and one of the best shots i have seen and he took two roe bucks at 250 and 300 both high shoulder shots like i told him to.

however i dont think shooting deer at over 600-700 is a good idear tof is to long at any range over this and all it has to do is step forward and your buggerd

quite an interesting thread this but one that could become a "ime better than you" one.

just my 2p worth ive shot 1000 a few times and got 10" groups on the best of times. but i can shoot out to 300 and a bit more preaty well,i have shot foxes hares and crows at 300-400 with 223 and 6mmbr we have a christmass tree plantation hear aswell as the pheasant shoot so all critters like rabbits hares get shot with what ever we have in our hands at the time, if its a safe shot.

i dont se the problem with shooting deer at distance IF you CAN do it, last year i had a spanish client out stalking he was 15 and one of the best shots i have seen and he took two roe bucks at 250 and 300 both high shoulder shots like i told him to.

however i dont think shooting deer at over 600-700 is a good idear tof is to long at any range over this and all it has to do is step forward and your buggerd

How did you test his shooting before shooting live targets, 250 and 300yd targets perhaps.We all miss, a gut shot on a 300yd Roe would take some rectifying. I think I will stay on Nickbeardo's side of the fence. Its down to the individual, I suppose shooting a 300yd clean shot is no differant to shooting at a deer trotting through undergrowth, seen that a couple of times.