.222 v .223

colin lad

.223 has the edge on power, but not so much it will change the world. Wider choice of guns and ammo these days in .223.

Put simply, if you reload get whichever you want, if not get a .223!

thought that would be the answer from most just thought i would check before i fill it in, will send it in monday am then fingers crossed and wait

the .223 is a more current cartridge, lots of ammo an rifle choices out there. the .222 is becoming an obsolete calibre these days, you would Probly be looking at a s/h 222 rifle. they are similar in terms of performance.

The .222 isnt obsolete and I very much doubt it will be due to their inherant accuracy, thats why it was used in target for so long.

Hiya,

The .222 isnt obsolete and I very much doubt it will be due to their inherant accuracy, thats why it was used in target for so long.

Yup and even with the readily available factory ammo, it's impressively accurate and a more than capable Foxing tool. It's also a doddle to reload for :) :)

Ive been doing a bit of homework on this too..

I have gone for the 222 in the weihrauch HW6oj along with a 17hmr and22LR (fingers crossed)

ammo don't seem to be a problem down here..

after speaking to so many older shooters ..not one came back with a bad word to say about the 222 infact..one good friend is actually downsizing from a 223

222 is a bit like 22wmr expensive and becoming harder to buy

get a .223 or 22.250 mate

Hi All

222 is still cheaper to run than a 22.250 it is much nicer to shoot and you try selling a 22.250 on when you realise that a 243 will do everything a 22.250 will do only much better

Geordie

Hi All

222 is still cheaper to run than a 22.250 it is much nicer to shoot and you try selling a 22.250 on when you realise that a 243 will do everything a 22.250 will do only much better

Geordie

When you say better, it is still using more powder and so on. My .17 hmr is probably better than my .22 but the rabbits can't tell the difference :yp:

When you say better, it is still using more powder and so on. My .17 hmr is probably better than my .22 but the rabbits can't tell the difference :yp:

Hi CZ452

I agree dead is dead, the 243, dependant on which powder you use uses about 10% more powder but you also have the versatility to use it on any deer in the country, legally. He will also buy a 222 cheaper than a 223, the 222 uses the same bullets as the 223 and 22.250 but less powder so will be cheaper to reload, admittedly not as wide a choice but 40,50 or 55gn charlie won't know the difference.Just playing devils advocate really, i have a 222 and i love it, but if i was buying a 22 centrefire today i would go out and buy a 223

Geordie

bk Posted Today, 06:54 AM

Hiya,

Yup and even with the readily available factory ammo, it's impressively accurate and a more than capable Foxing tool. It's also a doddle to reload for :) :)

There speaks two devoted .222 owners. The calibre is good, no question, but the .223 is taking over and fewer companies are chambering new rifles in .222. Has Remington (as per Remington .222) got ANY new rifles in .222, I can't find any, did I miss one, whatever, the choice in tiny!

I suspect we will be talking about the .222 in the same terms as the Hornet and WMR in the near future, realistically we are already, very very few people buy new ones these days.

Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it, the Hornet still has many uses and many devoted followers, and about a year ago I traded my last WMR for a new one. :good:

Edited by Dekers

Hi CZ452

I agree dead is dead, the 243, dependant on which powder you use uses about 10% more powder but you also have the versatility to use it on any deer in the country, legally. He will also buy a 222 cheaper than a 223, the 222 uses the same bullets as the 223 and 22.250 but less powder so will be cheaper to reload, admittedly not as wide a choice but 40,50 or 55gn charlie won't know the difference.Just playing devils advocate really, i have a 222 and i love it, but if i was buying a 22 centrefire today i would go out and buy a 223

Geordie

Can't argue with any of that :good: someone I know describes the .222 as the 'sweetest round' there is :yp:

There is an easier solution to this problem. Just ask for a 22 centerfire. The application form only specifies caliber, not cartridge. You want a 22 caliber centerfire. Then you can browse the shops or boards until you find a deal on the right gun. For practical purposes, both will do the same job (as would a 22-250). If you reload then you could even go 221, 222, 223, 22-250, or even a few others that will all get the job done.

Thanks,

rick

The 222 still holds a 100yd benchrest record.

Overall as a round it is more accurate than the 223 and I shot over 1000 foxes with one before moving onto a 17 Rem and then to a 223.

I got a 223 as it was more versatile with heavier bullets but in all honesty there is little between the two calibres with 40-50 grain bullets. The quoted velocity figures for the 222 can be difficult to achieve in short barrelled sporters.

I don't know anyone who still has a 222 yet 25 years ago it was what we all had for lamping and Scottish roe.