Furthest confirmed kill and equipment used

NorfolkPoacher

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like good shooting mate. I usually try and call them to 200 or less but on ocasion stretch to near 300. I def have to upgrade my glass with my current scope past 300 is guess work, take last night for example spotted some fox like eyes at about 350 but couldn't determine it. Drove 100 yards closer and down he went head shot! Lucky for me he was only call shy not lamp shy. With better glass it could have helped earlier on.

Definitley worth spending the money, we were only shooting them out to 200-250ish yards when we had the 8x56 docter and the old coleman lamp, now at 300 yards it is like watching them in the daytime!

im guessing air rifles dont count, furthest ive shot when ive actually pased out ect, was i think 48 ish yards with a .22 air rifle never go for many shots past 45 yards with my springers! shot about 55 with a pcp of my friends but that was targets.

[/quote

nonsence mate air rifles do count! I think they are the foundation of shooting and require more field craft due to lack of range. I managed a 62 yard hare with my hw80 at 35ft lbs. But that was a few years back. Sounds like your prety good with yours old mate keep up the good work

well in that case 115 yrds with my FAC rapid 7, had spent an hour or so practising long range shots when a magpie landed on the branch above where my target was... it dropped like a stone :)

If I hadn't been practising at that range I would never have considered the shot.

[/quote

bloody hell man! That puts some. 22rf owners to shame! What ft lb was that runnin to achieve that range? Those magpies are really unlucky in your part of the world!! :)

bloody hell man! That puts some. 22rf owners to shame! What ft lb was that runnin to achieve that range? Those magpies are really unlucky in your part of the world!! :)

Yup that's why my .22lr hardly ever gets out the cabinet, the rapid covers just about everything I need. It's running at 28ftb and fires 16 grain AA fields rather effectively, though I don't normally go much further out than 60 yrds with it. yer Magpies get a rather hard time of it from me, it's the one species of vermin I will always shoot first above everything else :)

My longest confirmed kill was a fox at 388 yards down hill with a rem 700 243 firing 70gr home loads. We had been after this one for ages it was as lamp shy as hell it ran like mad when we first saw it then it stoped to look back at us at 388 yards big mistake there was absolutely no wind at all to worry about. We even took the range finder back the next day to double check. :good:

Hi guys and girls, I was out foxing the other night and managed to bag my longest range confirmed kill that i felt was humane and that my abilities and equipment could cope with, it was a 294 yard chest shot. Im just curious as to other peoples experiences and equipment used to accomplish your furthest humane kill, im not interseted in Barry Bull S**TS 704 yard hare!! so if you could tell me what quarry, rifle, ammo, scope and lamp/NV it would be interesting.

I was using a remington 700 vlsf in .243 shooting factory 58gr hornady balistic tips, looking through a Nikko Sterling Night Eater 6x24x56 scope, for stability i used a harris bipod, and on the lamp front a lightforce Striker. I personally felt that much beyond this range is too far for my optic/lamp combo and possibly my abilities. cheers guys, Dave

Hi dave my longest fox so far was 210 yards. like you i use hornady 58gr and i have never had the bullet exit. every fox has dropped within a yard or two.excellent ammo in fact we possibly buy from the same RFD.

bornfree

Hi dave my longest fox so far was 210 yards. like you i use hornady 58gr and i have never had the bullet exit. every fox has dropped within a yard or two.excellent ammo in fact we possibly buy from the same RFD.

bornfree

niceone anything over 200 yards at night takes skill in my humble opinion.

they are a good round only had 2 runners out of about 100 foxes shot. i buy from philip webster at GT Ellingham, he is a good gunsmith and a friend of mine.

i find the 58gr vmax the most accurate round ive put through my .243. i havent had the chhance to homeload yet. you shoot locally? so if philip runs out i can blame you?? :lol:

My longest confirmed kill was a fox at 388 yards down hill with a rem 700 243 firing 70gr home loads. We had been after this one for ages it was as lamp shy as hell it ran like mad when we first saw it then it stoped to look back at us at 388 yards big mistake there was absolutely no wind at all to worry about. We even took the range finder back the next day to double check. :good:

thats a bloody long way!! good shooting. what glass were you using? how do find your homeloads perform in terms of trajectory, what drop form zero do you get at say 400 yards? sorry about all the questions im going to start reloading soon and am curious as the the benefits not just the cost saving, atb Dave.

Roe Buck at 208 metres with my Remi'700 .243 using Remington Express core-lokt 100 grainers.Through and through chest wound(very small exit wound)but the deer just simply collapsed on the spot,kicked its legs a couple of times,and that was it!

have you ever tried 90gr or 100gr privi bullets on deer? im tempted but unsure of the quality! :hmm:

Not into looking for long shots for the sake of it but my S&B PMII 5-25 X 56 on the Tikka Varmit .243 opens up chances you would not get with some kit. If such shots come up I have found good preactice is busting clays flat side on in the sand pit i have use of, broken clay is about kill area on a charlie.........

I did once get 5 out of 5 on a A4 target (only one in kill zone) with Zapp and Wookie with the HMR .17 when we shot out to 300 yards to prove you could not do it :lol:

Edited by pavman

have you ever tried 90gr or 100gr privi bullets on deer? im tempted but unsure of the quality! :hmm:

Hi dave,my 700 wouldn't group with 90's,but is spot on with 100's.I haven't tried Privi ammo,(and my local RFD refuses to stock them!)but a mate sometimes uses them through his .223 Tikka T3 when we're 'playing around'.He seems to think they're ok.Incidently his longest shot was with his T3(think he was using Sako ammo)when he pinged a rabbit at 326 yds/metres(?)with his range-finder,which he'd already dialled the bullet weight into....this told him the 'hold-over' required.It didn't even move,and when we got there the front end was only just attached to the back end.Superb shot.

Longest was 300 yards, with 243 and 75gr Remington ammo. That was with a Falcon Menace scope - they're not bad at all, and the lighting came together that night - moonlight and lamp so I could see the little blighter.

I've shot a 256 yard fox off a gatepost with an 8x56 Schmidt, with #8 ret. At that range more ret than fox. That was with 50gr American Eagle 223, was a while back now.

I've had some shorter shots I've been happier with tbh, like 220 yard rabbit in blustery cross wind, down hill at night - was very happy with that shot. That was dialled in with 222 and IIRC 55gr Noslers. (tbh a good thing that it wasn't any further, they didn't stabilise well for the 300 yard stuff as I found at Bisley where my wonderfully accurate rifle wasn't really doing any better than 'somewhere on the page'. Was OK to 200-250 though as I tested it that far out)

I find dialling in a long range shot, then gently shooting and seeing your quarry roll over a long time before the sound reaches you, very satisfying indeed!