Budget Hide Poles

gary coyle

Anyone looking for hide poles should consider these budget options

Poundland- Clothes line telescopic props are in grey or blue and obviously a pound each.

Wilkinsons- Telescopic clothes line props in green are around 3.40 each. These are really sturdy and made of box section aluminium.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

My mrs got me four clothes props from tesco yesterday...seem pretty sturdy and extend easily enough- £3.50 each.

Only mod required is that they have flat ends with no points so I am going to try either a big screw so they can be screwed into hard ground, or may just find a branch a similar diameter and sharpen to a point then glue in place - £14 squid for hide poles rather than £40 + bargain!

My mrs got me four clothes props from tesco yesterday...seem pretty sturdy and extend easily enough- £3.50 each.

Only mod required is that they have flat ends with no points so I am going to try either a big screw so they can be screwed into hard ground, or may just find a branch a similar diameter and sharpen to a point then glue in place - £14 squid for hide poles rather than £40 + bargain!

Got some from wilkos, same problem with the flat end. push in ok with the ground being soft at the moment but thinking about maybe carrying a bigish screw driver around to make starter holes when it gets harder. would also double quite nicely as a priest :D

Fuzrat

I used the Wilko's ones for a while before buying a proper set. These are good and will do the job, though a proper set are much easier to get into gard ground and less likely to bend in very strong wind.

To sharpen the ends, you can do this with strong pliers or adjustables, but much easier in a vice or even one of those work benches; pull out extendable part of your pole so you don't catch it, and at the bottom of your poles, pinch together about 3" so you flatten them completely. Once flat and depending how thick/thin the metal is, either cut bottom inch at 45 degree angle to give you a point or bend metal over at an angle to give you the point.

Hope this makes sense, feel free to send me a pm where i can give you my number and explain better if you need it.

or simply make up some seperate bases that push into bottom of pole, a bit more added weight to carry, but if you can drive, not to much of a problem

01122009337.jpg

I use Wilko poles and also bought some fence spikes from B&Q. The spikes are made from aluminium (so very light) and look similar to the ones in stubbys picture. 3 screws along the spike sharf to hold them on and sprayed. Work a treat and very light. Oh and they were £1.70 each.

• 3 weeks later...

cant beat equestrian leccy fence stakes

sharp point securely fastened into bottom already with a kick plate

plenty of 'pockets' to tie netting to

strong and very light

I've got these and they are better than the cheap 'solid point' poles sold on eBay that are useless in hard ground.

For those adapting clothes poles consider fillting these brolly spikes....

fladen_brollyspike.jpg

You can get them from fishing shops or tat shops.

I've got these and they are better than the cheap 'solid point' poles sold on eBay that are useless in hard ground.

For those adapting clothes poles consider fillting these brolly spikes....

fladen_brollyspike.jpg

You can get them from fishing shops or tat shops.

Every fishing shop in Dover that i have called are out of stock of these. Don`t want to pay postage if i don`t have to.