Wild Boar

new to the flock

Andrew Davies, The Daily Telegraph

In Germany, where the boars are vigorously hunted, there are up to 7,000 living in the centre of Berlin.

That can't be right can it? 7000 boar living in town :blink: Do they have their own bars?

Berlin is surrounded by a lot of wood.

So a perfect paradise for boar (food from humans and cover).

There are hunter who are allowed to shoot there with special permission.

Hubertus

Excellent stuff guys keep it coming...

Confirmation that the shoulder shot is the one to go for (if it is available)

Hubertus,

What if it is coming straight towards you??

We just need Dunganick to arrange a trip to Slovinea or somewhere like that for a pig shooting weekend :blink:

Edited by stuartp

Only on this forum would an environmental disaster be looked on as a positive boon to the sport!

Wookie

I don't think it will be a "sporting" issue.

Most of the members on this site don't have the weapons, or the opportunity to shoot wild boar/pigs in the UK.

All of the wild boar/pigs that I know have been shot, have all been shot by professional pest control officers.

I'm not sure its an "environmental disaster", as the animals don't really impact on any of our native species.

Now muntjac are an environmental disaster.

Last week I saw the damage they have done to a young plantation, unbelievable.

Not having a FAC just a SGC I suppose I would have to get a FAC to cover the use of 12g SLUGS for these little piggies.

Also those with the FAC as has been discussed on this board before regarding fox / vermin stated on the FAC will you need to have a variation for pig or will you be covered.

Trev

cranfield i totaly agree muntjac are an absolute pain in the ***! they eat all the new growth from woodland flowers which are already indecline and drive off native species like roe with their agressive temperament! and they breed like crazy! people seem to have a problem with shooting them, are the pregnant, is it a doe or buck! we dont have problems poisoning rats or nailing pigeons

boar are going to do the same dig and eat wild bulbs and eat ground nesting birds eggs and new chicks! gamekeepers will have a knightmare with wild chicks and feed bins!

and just think what its like when a deer is in the beating line! i know from a very painful broken nose what its like to have a little roe doe in the face when i was beating through thick spruce, imagin a family of pumped up boar!

younggun

Edited by younggun86

Just something that I have found works for me. If you are presented with a broad side shot or a slight quartering away.

If the front leg facing you is in the back position....this opens the neck area up..... shoot directly infront of the shoulder at the point where the bone starts its drop.

If the leg facing you is forward.....covering a good portion of the neck area.... shoot immediatly behind and touch the shoulder point.

Hubertus would you agree?

NTTF

Id love to slap one with a 140 grain SP, 6.5 X 55 bullet. ;)

Why? Are you wanting to just annoy it Frank? :P You'd need a wee bit more artillery than that I fear. I think we'd easily be into 7x57 territory with these babies! We could all go out and get Drillings on our tickets if this sport starts up again, as I'm sure it will have to. Bring back 12g slugs... and so on!

There's a permission I have near Winchester and when out on a stalk a few weeks back with my trainer he identified what looked like absolutley typical Boar activity along the ride we were stalking, and he'd know as he's hunted them in Poland. All the right sign showing. He also mentioned that a Boar had been shot very recently only 7 miles away on an adjoining estate.

It was at about that same moment that I started wishing I could get 300grain bullets to go through my .25-06! :yp:

I have found 150gr .308 behind the ear seems to keep them quiet! with no flesh damage.

Mind you - most of these Exmoor escapees are barely big enough to make a pound of sausages, but they can dig like a JCB, make a mess of a grass field overnight.

Dusk seems to be the best time when they come out and the old S & B 8x56

picks them out very well. Very, Very lampshy.

Behind the ear is all very well but I have to admire you're shooting prowess, I presume you're not referring to a running beast with that kind of shot placement? As I understand it they are usually moving quite rapidly! :yp:

Nick, Hellingly is in Sussex :yp: I certainly havent seen any around this way,

Wont Be long There are plenty in the New Forest Surrey and Kent so Sussex is pretty Much surounded its only a matter of Time Id be suprised if We didnt have quite a few in Sussex allready

Id love to slap one with a 140 grain SP, 6.5 X 55 bullet. :P

Why? Are you wanting to just annoy it Frank? :D You'd need a wee bit more artillery than that I fear. I think we'd easily be into 7x57 territory with these babies! We could all go out and get Drillings on our tickets if this sport starts up again, as I'm sure it will have to. Bring back 12g slugs... and so on!

There's a permission I have near Winchester and when out on a stalk a few weeks back with my trainer he identified what looked like absolutley typical Boar activity along the ride we were stalking, and he'd know as he's hunted them in Poland. All the right sign showing. He also mentioned that a Boar had been shot very recently only 7 miles away on an adjoining estate.

It was at about that same moment that I started wishing I could get 300grain bullets to go through my .25-06! :yp:

ive shot several hundred boar in oz in nine years, the vast majority with a 6.5x55 with 139grn pmc rounds and never lost one. the 6.5m kills out of all proportion to its size . i have sho5t a few with sg,s which have 8 shot to the oz and they too were also a very handy shotgun load in thick scrub or lignum. didnt use the solids in the shotty much as they wouldnt take them at the abbatoir if they had too much damage. ;)