Gillie Suits

Curly87

just wondering if any one has tried making their own gillie suits? got some free evenings and wanted to give it a go- however not sure wat r the best materials to use

does any one here use them in the field? i cant see that they wud give u that much more advantage compaired to real tree clothing which is was i use at the mo, any feed bk would be gd

cheers, lloyd

i have made one, its pretty good, works well spring/ early summer, however i can recall the number of times ive used it on one hand, most of them were paintballing with mates.

mine cost me about £25 to make, with a DPM jacket underneath, some netting sewn and heat glued on, then hundreds of strips of old pillow covers and clothes torn into long pieces then died light through to dark green.

it took me about 2 months from start to finish (i made such a pigs ear i started over again) once it was finished i took it down the bottom of the garden expecting it to magically disapear. It stood out like you wouldnt believe.

the single most useful thing you will need for this project will be a LARGE can of matt black spray paint.

once you have matted it down a bit go and have a roll about in the dirt and leaves, get some plants stuck intothe head piece and they are reasonably good.

on summer days you bake in them.

however a retail one is £80 plus (if you assemble yourself)

would i make one again..... no, i dont use it.

Edited by dunganick

Get some hessian sacks and splash some with domestos and dye some with tea or onion skins and some with green dye.Rip tear and slash it then leave it out to weather and blow in the windadd to yuor cammo suit and hey presto instant invisibility.........until you move,then it all goes pear shaped.

It is the best stuff if you want to travel light but if you like having a smoke /cuppa/scratch your ****,then get a hide :)

this shows mine about 3/4 done, i wont be getting it out to take a picture as all the dead plants will fall all over my room :)

ghilliesuit0ir.jpg

the foliage makes the most difference, haveing a good amount of grass and stuff inthe head piece and sholders. I didnt bother making legs for it as movement gives away your position more than camofluage, so couldnt see my self walking anywhere with it on.

I am in the process of making one at the moment. I have got hessian sacks and some of the white dish cloths. Al the cloths and some of the sacks I have dyed using the wash in dye. This has given me a range of tones. I was gong to sew them onto an old combat jacket but instead bought a mess suit. It is especially made as a sniper suit and can be worn as an over garment or on it's own.

When I bought it they also had the original British sniper smock. Expensive but looks good.

• 2 weeks later...

Ghillie suits are great.....but, be prepared to be warm......

Old DPM jacket and trousters. Get yourself some cammo netting, sew it on.

Hessisan sacking, get down to you local garden centre ask the for the sacks that rocks etc come in.

You will then need about 4 or 5 different DYLON dyes and a couple of big buckets. Mix the dyes accordinlgy in seperate buckets.

Get your sacks, dunk em. Leave em for a couple of days. Pull em out, let em dry, you now have the shades that you want.....Now for the tedious part...............Strip the sacks down for the indivdual fibres.

Bunch em togther. ....grab strands of this and that clour and simply tie them onto the cammo net.

These strnads, plus the scrim from the cammo net and the different shades work really well, gives you a combined sort of IVY effect. Once I find my digi cam I will post a pic of my suit.

Same applies with your trouser, just leave rooms for the pockets and the **** flap.....

As for effectivenes,,,,I had a bunny hop to about 15yds away from me when I was cammed up...PS gentlemen, dont forget to eithercam your face up or use a face veil.......

I sometimes use a ghillie suit from Cabelas, very good stuf. I had moments the deer was so close to me I almost could touch it, and I never had birds any closer. The only problem is that there are no pockets in it and I'm a bit afraid of the reactions of people who see you walking in the field.

this shows mine about 3/4 done, i wont be getting it out to take a picture as all the dead plants will fall all over my room :rolleyes:

ghilliesuit0ir.jpg

the foliage makes the most difference, haveing a good amount of grass and stuff inthe head piece and sholders. I didnt bother making legs for it as movement gives away your position more than camofluage, so couldnt see my self walking anywhere with it on.

Impressive Nick

You have enroled into the wrong course fella

Needle work and sewing :rolleyes::sly::lol:

Jonno

Edited by jonno 357

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

no need to use a jacket to make it you can actually buy a net vest that has clips on the front and all you do is get a load of army sand bags

cut them into strips and attach them to the vest

if anyone want the details of how to get thees vests let me know