Do chokes make a lot of diffference?

game_keeper

As anyone who has read my posts before knows, i have just purchased my first shotgun. I have recently learned that the chokes are 1/4 and cylinder. Does this affect the way the gun performs by a lot? What changes does it make?(i.e what is the difference in shooting at rabbits with open choke and shhoting at say foxs?)

Many thanks,

Rob ;):lol:

if like you say it is your first shotgun i take it you have only recently taken up shooting so i would suggest using something abit open i.e: 1/4 choke untill you get more used to where the gun is shooting then maybe you could start changing the chokes about :lol:

oh and i see you are a kent lad where bouts you from ?

cheers BS

put 1/4 and half in and never think about the chokes again.

If its clays then 1/4 will bring down anything within a sensble range IF you put the gun in the right place.

over decoys, or rough shooting, 1/4 and half should be pleanty.

Nick, IMHO 1/4 amd 1/2 over decoys is far too much choke.

Modern shotgun carts pattern very tight.

Try very open chokes and see what you think.

your probably right, however i am not suggesting 1/4 and 1/2 is the correct choke for decoying. I dont change my chokes, and 1/4 and 1/2 represents the best combination of chokes for a combination of disclipines that i shoot. I can count the number of times ive shot over decoys on one hand, so a bit more choke suits my clay shooting, dray bashing, rough shooting needs best.

On another note, we had 83 tree rats today for 6.5 guns (one gun went home at lunch), well chuffed best vermin drive yet :lol::lol:

your probably right, however i am not suggesting 1/4 and 1/2 is the correct choke for decoying. I dont change my chokes, and 1/4 and 1/2 represents the best combination of chokes for a combination of disclipines that i shoot. I can count the number of times ive shot over decoys on one hand, so a bit more choke suits my clay shooting, dray bashing, rough shooting needs best.

On another note, we had 83 tree rats today for 6.5 guns (one gun went home at lunch), well chuffed best vermin drive yet :lol::lol:

Yup 1/2 and 1/4 are good all rounders. Well done with the tree rats. Excelent. Did you poke 'em out first?

I like a few ssg in the dray, then a few 6's afterwards. Choke - who cares.

83 is a great score, did you take a camera?

We were poking out first with a few blats of any old shells, then 2 or 3 guns would take care of them.

infact i will be taking more choke next time :lol: , some of the drays were 45/50 yards up (they were drays not crows nests) and all we could do was rattle them, couldnt blow them out of the tree, which we like to do as it makes sure we dont leave anything injured.

No picture as we left them where they fell :lol:

I will however probably buy my self a semi auto and fit it out for dray bashing, as the old O/U gives me 1 less shot to get them.

My beretta teknys shoots 42g of bb with no recoil and it perfect for that job.

Charlie will be mopping up behind you.

You'll soon have reds in your neck of the woods. Keep on top of those grey rats.

Well done boys. :lol:

42g jesus, ****** that :lol:

got my eye on a franchi 520 on another forum, its so cheap i reacon i cant loose money on it, even if its useless, i will just sell it on.

i would like a beretta 301 (i know one that is as new for £300) but cant afford it. Need a gun to take the knocks, rather than taking my clay gun everywhere.

Dunganick - the 301 is bloody excellent. Had one years ago, and then sold it due to me being chuffin' stupid and found a round in the magazine (not the chamber) when I got home. Went all cold I did. Until then I was the safest shot around.

Remember, remember that the safety has to be put back to 'safe' after every shot. I know that this is stupid advice to some, but if you swap between shotguns you can't be too careful.

After many years I have now bought a Beretta 391, and it too is great.

Drey bashing is brilliant, as the full choke and a decent weight of shot drills them straight thro'.

Enjoy

Don

bought a franci not the 301, i used a 301 for a few years when my dad had one, loved it to bits, however he swapped it for a 391 teknys gold, i now love that to bits even more :lol:

i just need a semi auto which i can throw around the back of the keepers truck without worrying about it.

at the moment i sit there stroking my O/U looking very nervous incase a stray snow flake should strike it. (and the O/U weighs alot)

bought a franci not the 301, i used a 301 for a few years when my dad had one, loved it to bits, however he swapped it for a 391 teknys gold, i now love that to bits even more :lol:

i just need a semi auto which i can throw around the back of the keepers truck without worrying about it.

at the moment i sit there stroking my O/U looking very nervous incase a stray snow flake should strike it. (and the O/U weighs alot)

Didnt know you had snow down that end of the country nick :lol::D:D:lol::lol:

Edited by hawkeye

As anyone who has read my posts before knows, i have just purchased my first shotgun. I have recently learned that the chokes are 1/4 and cylinder. Does this affect the way the gun performs by a lot? What changes does it make?(i.e what is the difference in shooting at rabbits with open choke and shhoting at say foxs?)

Many thanks,

Rob :D:lol:

Go to a clay shooting venue or one of your shoots and nail a few bits of cardboard box to a Tree or to a scatter board and try your different chokes to see what patterns you are getting.

I find a tight choke using BB's a bad thing as the BB's end up all over the board :lol:

Best to use a 1/4 or 1/2 choke MAX for BBs at least in MY gun anyway i aint sure about others.

Like i say though try your chokes on cardboard an normal ranges you shoot at and see whats best for you.

Lord geordie