A Day with Carl Bloxham

DoubleTap

Spent a day with Carl Bloxham with my dad and brother on tuesday.

We started the day off on the pattern plate testing various different chokes and cartridges to find what was best. (The best cartridge we tried was a 24g 7.5 Hull ProTwenty) It proved quite interesting aswell. When we checked my auto with the 1/4 choke it was barely tight enough for a clay at just 30yds, with the 1/2 in it was 40yds max, so we switched to my O/U which is 3/4 and full. This through very nice patterns, not just tight but very equal aswell.

We then refilled with cartridges and went on to the clays. We started with a left to right crosser at about 25-30yds. We found them quite ok however missing the odd 1 or 2. Carl said that it was because my brother and I were putting too much weight on our left leg, he taught us to bend from the knee more and not to stab at the clay. This instantly made us start breaking them constantly :good:

We continued onto some driven that weren't quite straight over our heads, instead they were slightly curling round the left of us. We were breaking a few and missing a few again. Carl once again got us onto them with ease. He said instead of shooting them with a curling swing we should angle our bodies to our left and have a straight swing on them. This also made us break them one after the other :good:

Throughout the morning we kept shooting a few different targets and then retreating back a cabin for a cup of tea. At around mid day Carl put on a 100 bird layout for the my dad, brother and I. This took a few hours to complete and was really enjoyable with some very tricky targets(quite alot being long crossers). My brother beat me and dad <_<

After we had done all the tuition we had a bit of fun. Carl put on a right to left crosser for us. We started at 30yds and once we had all broke the clay(which we all did) we would walk back 5 yds. This kept going until we started missing. My brother and I got to 55yds before we started missing. Dad went on to 60yds before he started missing due to the clays going through the pattern.

We then did the same sort of thing but this time with a left to right looper. We started at 30yds again. We got back to 65yds before they started going through the pattern once again.

Carl is an amazing coach and will always put you right no matter what. Also, even if your not having any problems I recommend goin to see him just to sharpen up and even learn a few different techniques. When I went my left eye was taking over a bit even though I'm right eye dominant, he sorted this out straight away :good:

Excellent day, really helpful and informative. We have already arranged a day in august before the season :D

There are a few videos of it in the Sporting Videos forum for you to look at.

Thanks

Videos:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/157736-a-day-with-carl-bloxham/

It cost us £260 and we shot over 800 clays!

Carl is a brilliant coach and really pushes you. As my son said we ended up over 60yds away on crossers and loopers. It suited my full choked 12 but both my son's 20 bores performed well. The 24g cartridges DoubleTap mentioned were Hull Pro Twenty fibre 7.5s.

It cost us £260 and we shot over 800 clays!

Carl is a brilliant coach and really pushes you. As my son said we ended up over 60yds away on crossers and loopers. It suited my full choked 12 but both my son's 20 bores performed well. The 24g cartridges DoubleTap mentioned were Hull Pro Twenty fibre 7.5s.

was that each or for your party?

cheers KW

We started the day off on the pattern plate testing various different chokes and cartridges to find what was best. (The best cartridge we tried was a 24g 7.5 Hull ProTwenty) It proved quite interesting aswell. When we checked my auto with the 1/4 choke it was barely tight enough for a clay at just 30yds, with the 1/2 in it was 40yds max, so we switched to my O/U which is 3/4 and full. This through very nice patterns, not just tight but very equal aswell.

We then refilled with cartridges and went on to the clays. We started with a left to right crosser at about 25-30yds. We found them quite ok however missing the odd 1 or 2. Carl said that it was because my brother and I were putting too much weight on our left leg, he taught us to bend from the knee more and not to stab at the clay. This instantly made us start breaking them constantly :good:

We continued onto some driven that weren't quite straight over our heads, instead they were slightly curling round the left of us. We were breaking a few and missing a few again. Carl once again got us onto them with ease. He said instead of shooting them with a curling swing we should angle our bodies to our left and have a straight swing on them. This also made us break them one after the other :good:

Throughout the morning we kept shooting a few different targets and then retreating back a cabin for a cup of tea. At around mid day Carl put on a 100 bird layout for the my dad, brother and I. This took a few hours to complete and was really enjoyable with some very tricky targets(quite alot being long crossers). My brother beat me and dad <_<

After we had done all the tuition we had a bit of fun. Carl put on a right to left crosser for us. We started at 30yds and once we had all broke the clay(which we all did) we would walk back 5 yds. This kept going until we started missing. My brother and I got to 55yds before we started missing. Dad went on to 60yds before he started missing due to the clays going through the pattern.

We then did the same sort of thing but this time with a left to right looper. We started at 30yds again. We got back to 65yds before they started going through the pattern once again.

Carl is an amazing coach and will always put you right no matter what. Also, even if your not having any problems I recommend goin to see him just to sharpen up and even learn a few different techniques. When I went my left eye was taking over a bit even though I'm right eye dominant, he sorted this out straight away :good:

Excellent day, really helpful and informative. We have already arranged a day in august before the season :D

Thanks

Videos:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/157736-a-day-with-carl-bloxham/

I know a few blokes who have had lessons with him, all came away better shots :yes:

Well done also for the picture in Aprils Sporting Gun, looks like you all had a good day :good:

I know a few blokes who have had lessons with him, all came away better shots :yes:

Well done also for the picture in Aprils Sporting Gun, looks like you all had a good day :good:

Haven't seen it yet, will have to get mum to the shops in the morning, well spotted and thanks for mentioning otherwise it would have gone unnoticed :oops:

Cheers :good::good:

Interesting stuff where was the lesson and was the £260 all in clays carts etc?

Clays only - you supply the carts (lots!).

The 1st time I went on my own - and shot 500+ (think it was 650 ish) 24Grm Eley Blues - the expression 'enough' would cover it nicely I discovered that it is possible to become bored of pulling the trigger! Best share the day with a mate if you can.

I'm relatively knew to the sport still (3 years now) and that was at the the 18 month stage - it really accelerated the learning process - if you compare it with £50 an hour coaching at a regular club ground then Carl is staggeringly good value.

Carl charges £180/day and you can take up to 4 people. Carl's charge is still £180 for 4 people and not £180/person. Clays are then charged at £10/100 and you supply your own cartridges.

He is very generous on the clays used and is far cheaper than going to an established shooting school.

Carl uses a small bit of Long Marston airfield and all that is lacking is a high tower. If you want high tower work then Carl will meet you at Riseley or Edgehill or a similar ground near you.

Edited by Treestalker

I had a lesson at the Long Marston ground when i first started, and another lesson at Hodnet last year. Carl is great value for money and finds sometimes small and obscure problems with your technique that make big differences when corrected. Carl's laid back approach may not be to everyone's liking but he's always sorted my main problems. All I suffer from now is lack of talent :yes::yes:

Can someone post some info about how to get the info to allow me to organize a day. I looked at long marston shooting school but obviously not an up to date site as still showing 2005 prices. Any info would be good. Also cartridges felt or plastic or both? Does he still use long marston and does it still cost £10/100 clays if so very good value for money.

Edited by blackbirdtrev

Can someone post some info about how to get the info to allow me to organize a day. I looked at long marston shooting school but obviously not an up to date site as still showing 2005 prices. Any info would be good. Also cartridges felt or plastic or both? Does he still use long marston and does it still cost £10/100 clays if so very good value for money.

This is Carl's web address. Give him a call and he'll sort whatever you're looking for. :good:

www.carlbloxham.co.uk/

Carl charges £180/day and you can take up to 4 people. Carl's charge is still £180 for 4 people and not £180/person. Clays are then charged at £10/100 and you supply your own cartridges.

Just had an email back from Carl and he charges £200 per day for up to 4 people. Thats a good price of £50 each and like the above says £10 per 100 clays, now that is cheap. Also allowed to use plastic or fibre wad carts.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

Videos:

Hi I am interested in how he fixed your eye dominance problem as I think I to suffer with this...

Hi I am interested in how he fixed your eye dominance problem as I think I to suffer with this...

Easy to test have a search I have a very dominant eye.

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/how-to/shooting/eye-dominance-test.cfm

A good coach will sort that out in the first minute. from Auntie :yes:

Indeed....

If you need text this big then you'll be needing more than a shooting coach to sort your eyes out! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: