Any one else struggling on the rape?

hattochr

Interesting stuff. We’ve had problems decoying onto rape the last couple of months and looking around there’s not the usual damage been done. I’ve been putting it down to the (very) late beet harvest which in this area is still going on and looks likely to continue into April in some spots. That’s also had a knock on effect in that there’s a hell of a lot of spring drilling to do. There are plenty of birds about just not able to decoy them.

I can’t agree with Cat though about the time scales with drillings. We find birds hitting the drill almost as the tractors leave the fields. The problem is that most of today’s farm equipment is so efficient there’s not much left on the surface for the birds to pick at; a couple of days and it’s all over. It’s a little better on the heavy land but on some of our light soils the pickings are poor. Unless the tractor driver is poor too and leaves a messy drill on the headlands!

We were out mob handed (6 guns) on Friday on a large block (1500 acres) of rape and there were literally 100’s of pigeons about but in big flocks sitting in the trees or on sun baked ground just enjoying the day. Those that chose to feed did so intermittently and kept moving. No flightlines, no pattern, just drop out of the trees and have a quick snack. The guys sitting in the woods had the most birds, those decoying had to wait a long time between shots.

Has anyone else noticed that spring is a bit delayed this year or are things just getting back to normal after so many warm winters? Normally we’d be seeing the flocks breaking up by now and the birds hitting the spring flush of rape hard but that’s a way off yet.

the magnet or bouncers dont seem to have the attraction anymore, maybe its an essex thing,

Im hoping the saying, LESS IS MORE is correct, as rather than dragging everything out to walk across fields, Ill pop out with the new invention :lol:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/158660-mad-scientist-mk2-on-the-decoys/

On my permission there is a field of rape that isnot as far on as surrounding fields. The field has been fertilised this week and is just greening up. No birds on the field when I got there this morning but they decoyed in quite well. Ended with 14 for a couple of hors shooting. Not a massive bag but enough activity to keep it interesting.

I was shooting over rape a couple of weeks ago when a load of farmers had organised all their shooters to be out on the same day. There were thousands of birds in the air. The same field a week later, one shot and they're all off. I wonder if the cost of diesel has prompted a lot more farmers to grow rape, hence the pigeons have loads more choice where to feed now and won't return to a field they think even slightly risky.

When the rape has grown too tall for them to feed on the other crops could be under a lot of pressure, so hopefully we'll get some good sport then.

I have never known a season like it. Over the last few weeks we have barely seen a pigeon. A few shots in the morning and they are never to be seen again.

Haven't seen any really large flocks since January and fields that were getting hit then are barren of pigeon now.

This is the worst winter/spring season I have known in 25 years pigeon shooting!

Myself and a bloke went out today on the rape and he shot 2 out of the four birds that came to our decoys. After a few hours I got really frustrated since I spend a bit of time watching the birds feed on the rape during the week so we drove around to some other fields that neighbour my permission. As suspected the neighbouring rape field was FULL of pigeons and plenty just kept for the hour that we watched them, problem is the owner won't let us shoot them. I think he's into pigeon conservation. Obviously the birds are used to the routine of getting shot on the land that I go on and have decided to go on this large rape field where they are totally undisturbed...... no bird scarer or nothing.

N'eh mind, I'll keep knocking his door till he gives me permission. The birds are definately feeding on rape they just ahve to many rape fields unprotected to choose from.

I'm in South Derbyshire

Edited by lee-kinsman

I have never known a season like it. Over the last few weeks we have barely seen a pigeon. A few shots in the morning and they are never to be seen again.

Haven't seen any really large flocks since January and fields that were getting hit then are barren of pigeon now.

This is the worst winter/spring season I have known in 25 years pigeon shooting!

Yes, got to agree, and I've been at it for about 35 years :blush:, it's pretty much the same in Herts, there's more pigeons currently feeding on my local football field than there are on the rape.

The exceptionally cold weather we had around Christmas messed things up, the birds vanished and have since not returned in any numbers.

So, come next October, when the newbies on here are saying "we need a good cold snap to get the birds onto the rape", you'll know they're talking complete tosh. :yes:

Cat.

Hi Cat,

I don't think there's been much shooting over the rape fields during the winter hence us getting permission to shoot there. A problem is it's heavy clay soil and access onto the fields is very difficult because they're so wet even around the margins, just standing water in places. I did slog out onto one field and set up under an oak tree but by the time I'd reached it I'd grown several inches taller and could hardly lift my feet because of the clay stuck to my wellies :lol:

Blackla and I have got stuck trying to get closer to one rape field, his write up of events is in the Offroad section entitled 'Oh, dear...' :hmm:

I've been doing recces and have tried to plot flight lines across them and the sitty trees on rough drawings. There's seven fields in three locations plus other farmer's rape fields in the vicinity so there's no need for the birds to return to where they were disturbed from. There's also several pairs of red kites floating around and it seems when they appear the pigeons depart.

It's too wet at the moment for the farmer to start drilling but with luck he'll start later in the month or the beginning of April when he'll be putting in barley.

Ever the optimist, I always make sure I've got a slab of ammo in the car and plenty with me as you never know what the day may bring :yes:

Phil

Phil

when we meet tomorrow we can arrange coming to my new permission, plenty of space plenty of birds and drilling just started

Terry

Mines a pint bitter by the way