Rabbit shooting

falconer1975

Ok chaps, i could do with some advice on the best way to rabbit shoot my new 100 acre plus permission. I have walkd it all twice now and got to the land, where the quarry is etc, but for the life of me i can not get close enough for humain shot, as there is very little or not cover at all. I managed to get to 50 yards and no closer but just out of range in my eyes, any sugestions would be great, i do all the normal stuff like walk into the wind, staying low and quite but its proving very hard and frustrating as ther are loads of the little *******

Try laying in wait for them,20 minutes and they will come to meet you :good:

I have thought about this but i am unsure how i would go about it, if i spook them they will not come back for hours, or should i try and get there before first light and wait? it is a hard one beleave me. Today i was layed up at the bottom of an oak tree and sat waiting for half an hour or so after they bolted but they were a no show.

Would shooting from a low hide be worth a shot?

I have thought about lamping but both times i have been out in the day there has been 20 or more that i have seen while just weighing up the land

Get FAC air rifle. Shoot rabbits up tp 80yrds then no problem. Otherwise as above, camo up and wait for them for about half

hour may be less. They should come back out to say hello. :good: :good: :good:

DD

I am just in the process of waiting for my fac when i do get it it will a cz .22 rimfire if i cant get that for this land may well have my s400 beefed up

I am just in the process of waiting for my fac when i do get it it will a cz .22 rimfire if i cant get that for this land may well have my s400 beefed up

dont do that - sell your s400 as it is - you will get better money / faster sale - then go and buy a dedicated FAC air rifle - spend the change on beer. (or pellets / scopes etc!)-

I have thought about this but i am unsure how i would go about it, if i spook them they will not come back for hours, or should i try and get there before first light and wait? it is a hard one beleave me. Today i was layed up at the bottom of an oak tree and sat waiting for half an hour or so after they bolted but they were a no show.

Would shooting from a low hide be worth a shot?

I have thought about lamping but both times i have been out in the day there has been 20 or more that i have seen while just weighing up the land

A good trick to get within range when there is no cover is to enter the field as far away from them as possible, and walk across it away from where they are, that way they'll see you and hop to safety but, hopefully, they won't think you are a major threat. As soon as they dissapear quickly, and with gentle footsteps, get to within 30 yards of where they were and lie down, you'll be surprised how quickly they will re-emerge if they think you've gone.

The idea is to get them to hop to safety rather than run but if they are very shy you'll do better to get there before the come out or even better lamp them.

Good luck

Unless you,ve got a very quiet airgun then i would wait for the rimfire to arrive.Spitting Eley extra subs at them via a decent silencer in the evenings as it gets warmer will reduce their numbers pretty quick-invest in a bipod and anything coming out to feed up to 100yards away is a bullet magnet.Dont pick up or move until you,ve finished as they sound easily spooked.

Ambush is good, but tbh, this time of year lamping is your best option.

When the sunsets later and the days are hotter, dusk shooting (dawn too but that's effort!) becomes more viable.

I'll let you know for nothing, that I still bag more bunnies with my 12fpe HW100S than my rimmie. The PCP is quieter and you often get the chance of a second, sometimes a 3rd rabbit at a time from 1 ambush. Then 30 mins later, they come back out again.

In short, for daytime shooting, get in range of a hotspot, get prone/comfortable and well hidden, amuse yourself for 30 mins (mobile phone on silent, games are good/snooze) and see what comes out.

Don't get excited and have a shot at the 1st rabboit you see within range, wait for 2 or 3 and then plan which one you want to take first, second and possibly third!

I go for the furthest one first (in my range). Reason being, a well moderated 12fpe is near silent. The loudest noise you'll here is the resounding CRACK on bunny skull. They always look where the noise came from - rather they look at their fallen comrade than at you and get spooked :good:

Best of look bud

Duncan

Cheers chaps, i have an s400 with silencer and is very quite. I am going back out tomorrow and have a good spot in mind that will put me within 30 yards, so i will move in then drop down and crawl and wait. I did place a large fallen branch there today so i will be able to get behind that and see what happens :unsure:

i set up a few old pallets along the edges of one of my shoots several hotspots can be coverd i also lie along the hedge bottoms n snipe them when several are out ...sometimes get one then another as it pauses infront of the burrow...walk slowly with wind in front of you and youll be suprised how close you can get...also i avoid after shave n deoderant before i go shooting when you walk they can sense the vibrations in the ground so slow careful is the way ...good luck

Still had no joy with the bunny's, been back out there twice scence with no joy, but at least whilst I was out today I took a nice cock pheasant.

But as for the rabbits I think I might have to invest in some lamping gear.

mate pheasants are out of season :no: :no: :no: i would put your tin hat on,, :yes: :yes: :yes:

as for me i shall get the popcorn out

colin