Bit of a rant to be honest

Acid House

I am just getting into clays after a decade or so away from driven pheasant and have a few questions/observations. I will no doubt return to live targets but have enough respect to hone my skills on clay.

I have a few veteran clay buddies (all better shots than me) and we haunt the local ground each weekend verbally abusing one another and putting the word to rights etc and all is well.

The first thing I have noticed is that everybody knows what direction the clays will come from even if first to the cage. The second is most regulars have shot each peg several times over the past weeks/months and have a rough idea what lead to give the clay etc (they often say 'now what you want to do on the next one is.....).

Now I understand that even with all this information before the trigger is pulled there are far from any guarantees that a hit is inevitable.

But what really got up my nose today (and I don’t mind one of my group advising/coaching) was a group of bloody good shots from another group walking right up behind my shooting buddies and bobbing and weaving around to see how others were hitting or missing each clay.

What is wrong with these ****. How easy do they want it. How many advantages are enough for a decent gun before taking a shot becomes arbitrary.

God help em if they found themselves in a small clearing in the middle of godknowsware waving the barrels at driven bird.

I am enjoying the clays but today just brought to mind the adage………..

Give us a bird. Give us a bird. Give us a bird. ‘Pull’…….Oh bloody missed……..

Rant over and back to my very nice malt……

Just hope I catch one of the **** doing it to me. A very firm but controlled F### OFF may bring a few smiles to the group.

The problem is giving an even playing field.

Appart from the fact that when Im on it and Ive paid for it, its my peg and get the hell out of my space. Not all the following group are going to have the advantage of peering down somebody elses barrels.

If I were shooting 1000m targets down at bisley I wouldnt try and sneak a peek down a competitors scope to see how much windage or elevation he was giving.

It should be down to the individual to use his own skills to take the clay.

I vote for a solid back in all cages to prevent (lets call themmmm...eerrrrr... cheeting scum) to take an unfair advantage.

I am competitive and want to hit as many as possible but I dont want it on a plate.

:no:

As Paul has already tried to get across to you, clay shooting is a competitive sport.

It isn't game shooting. What you're doing is trying to compare rugby with cricket.

Get over yourself. You clearly don't understand competitiveness, most game shooters don't, they all moan that they'd get bored shooting clays all the time.

That's because they don't have the competitive element.

If you don't like it, shoot live stuff. Clay shooters are not cheating scum as you quaintly put it, you sad little man. You talk ****. <_<

I get the feeling that in a clay competition you've never said "can I see a pair"

I think your rant is dead in the water. People are inquisitive and like to see how others shoot. Put them in a competition and of course they're going to want to watch and put pressure on you.

God help you on DTL.

Morning All,

I'm rather more with Acid House than Chard on this. I enjoy clay shooting but its a personal enjoyment and the only competition is with myself.

I rather like to be left to enjoy it as part of a group of likeminded friends.

Having anyone peering over my shoulder for whatever reason would not only ruin my experience but would be rather annoying.

I was once shooting DTL for the fun of it and being unusually successful for me. Anyway I called the last bird, having for once hit all the rest and missed spectacularly. A little voice behind said " there wasnt any lead in that one". That was so humerous I laughed. They were the next group on the stand but were keeping a very respectful distance and sharing my fun with me. I have had people trying to watch how I shoot and it is very annoying. If I were good at clays or as bad as I am, it still spoils the moment.

Chard, I appreciate your viewpoint but expressing a point of view you dont agree with doesnt mean Acid is talking ****, it means you probably peer over peoples shoulders ! At least you are a John Deere freak - I have a 955.

No offence intended guys but ease up on the criticism hey ?

Kes

Just to clear things up. The reason I want a level playing field is because I am competitive.

I want to hit every clay I aim at. 20 years at a decent level of club rugby tends to make you want to win.

To make it even for every gun each chap must be given equal advantages and challenges. If six of you shoot together and only one of you has a peek then it's unfair.

I actually appreciate one of my own group having a peak because they can help and advise me but pure manners should dictate it's one of the chaps who have already shot that peg.

Treat is at a compliment that people think they can learn something from you :good:

As a group we have been told to be quiet when we were having a lively discussion, a good distance from a 'competitive person' I should add. He asked the scorer if he would tell us to be quiet, this was just a normal practise shoot :/

I have also seen someone shoot and the guy next to us was saying 'now' each time he thought the gun should be shooting the bird, the bloke shooting turned round and told to keep his yap shut.

Isn't it just to get the line of the bird rather than to see how you are shooting it :hmm:

Yes, this seems to be a load of knicker-twisting for nothing.

We know another load of old boys that insist on each shooter "seeing a pair" and even sending up another clay if one doesnt fly the same. :lol:

I dont see the point of looking at the clays unless you are next to shoot though. Simply looking over someones shoulder for the sake of it is a bit pointless.

Yes, this seems to be a load of knicker-twisting for nothing.

We know another load of old boys that insist on each shooter "seeing a pair" and even sending up another clay if one doesnt fly the same. :lol:

I dont see the point of looking at the clays unless you are next to shoot though. Simply looking over someones shoulder for the sake of it is a bit pointless.

******* CHEATING (SORRY CHEETING) SCUM :lol:

Edited by Chard

If someone wanted to watch me shoot then that is fine with me, even if they came up and said "can I look over your shoulder" I don't think I'd have a problem. People watching doesn't put me off, and even though I'm not a great shot (I'd even say I was a cack shot yesterday) if someone thinks they can help themselves by having a look at what I am doing then it's fine with me :good:

My biggest gripe is that very few of the clay grounds (even the big ones) rarely change their trap set up.

I suppose it's why I enjoy the Essex Masters, the traps all go out just for the competition and the ground is not an open sporting clay ground so it's not like the local boys can shoot the **** out of it the week before the competition day and rock up with a better than fair idea of what clays will be coming from where.

My biggest gripe is that very few of the clay grounds (even the big ones) rarely change their trap set up.

I suppose it's why I enjoy the Essex Masters, the traps all go out just for the competition and the ground is not an open sporting clay ground so it's not like the local boys can shoot the **** out of it the week before the competition day and rock up with a better than fair idea of what clays will be coming from where.

Yes, I agree, that's one of the reasons I like it too, in addition to the fact that they have the ability to organise it as well :lol:

I still watch the clays though. I don't stand there with my back to the shooter in the cage, with my eyes closed in case I see them :o

Seeing a pair and watching the clays while other people shoot is permissable within the rules, so I'm going to do it. If you don't take the opportunity, that makes you some kind of **** :lol:

It certainly doesn't make you "cheeting scum". When I say someone is talking ****, then they're talking **** <_<

The club I have been going to change the layout every time, so any prior knowledge of the layout used the last time I visited is pointless. I also like to stand behind shooters and watch to see where the clays are coming, going etc and to also learn! Im a newbie, so try and take on as much info as I can. I do not however duck and weave and bob about behind the shooter to try and get a down the barrel view as some do, I just stand 5 - 10 yards back as space allows, and quietly watch :)

Yes, I agree, that's one of the reasons I like it too, in addition to the fact that they have the ability to organise it as well :lol:

I still watch the clays though. I don't stand there with my back to the shooter in the cage, with my eyes closed in case I see them :o

Seeing a pair and watching the clays while other people shoot is permissable within the rules, so I'm going to do it. If you don't take the opportunity, that makes you some kind of **** :lol:

It certainly doesn't make you "cheeting scum". When I say someone is talking ****, then they're talking **** <_<

No, apparently you do that when you get IN the cage... :hmm::P

From the CPSA rule book:

TECHNICAL RULES

For

ENGLISH SPORTING

VIEWING POINT

5.00 Any Competitor who has not had an opportunity to see targets on any stand, i.e. at the

commencement of the competition each day, shall have the right to see one target from each trap for that

stand from a position outside the stand. All Competitors should avail themselves of the opportunity to

view targets whilst waiting their turn to shoot.

So in essence the rule book is asking us to view the targets whilst others shoot, so anyone who regularly shoots CPSA competitions will come and look whilst the squad before them is shooting as that is what the rulebook is asking them to do.

It is unfair to ask following shooters to view the targets from 20 ft away and to the left or right whilst your squad can stand next to the cage, hence why they come and stand behind.

Also I am not viewing where you are shooting it to gain some kind of advantage I am looking where I am going to shoot it, which when watching Chard shoot is vital.

From the CPSA rule book:

TECHNICAL RULES

For

ENGLISH SPORTING

VIEWING POINT

5.00 Any Competitor who has not had an opportunity to see targets on any stand, i.e. at the

commencement of the competition each day, shall have the right to see one target from each trap for that

stand from a position outside the stand. All Competitors should avail themselves of the opportunity to

view targets whilst waiting their turn to shoot.

So in essence the rule book is asking us to view the targets whilst others shoot, so anyone who regularly shoots CPSA competitions will come and look whilst the squad before them is shooting as that is what the rulebook is asking them to do.

It is unfair to ask following shooters to view the targets from 20 ft away and to the left or right whilst your squad can stand next to the cage, hence why they come and stand behind.

Also I am not viewing where you are shooting it to gain some kind of advantage I am looking where I am going to shoot it, which when watching Chard shoot is vital.

CPSA? Cheeeeeting scum <_<

I think I'll allow you to view the clays from the car park next time <_<

Edited by Chard

i have just started to go to a small clay shoot the reason for me is to try and sharpen up my shooting as the last season to say i shot poorly would be an understatment :blush: also i did not have much shooting as i was to busy running the day.my first impressions are that these lads and lasses enjoy the competition and this is reflected in the gear they have i suspect much spondooler is spent on it. i don't expect to compete with me old s/s but i do take on board any advice given by these canny folk.what i am saying is its there sport and it's how they operate so i would just grow a thicker skin and get out what you went for and thats a bit of practise with your gun as you have said that was your reason for having a go at clays :hmm: atb.

CPSA? Cheeeeeting scum <_<

I think I'll allow you to view the clays from the car park next time <_<

It will certainly be more advantageous viewing the clays from the car park than from over your shoulder you inept buffoon.

REVISED TECHNICAL RULES

For

ENGLISH SPORTING

VIEWING POINT

5.00 Any Competitor who has not had an opportunity to see targets on any stand, i.e. at the commencement of the competition each day, shall have the right to see one target from each trap for that stand from a position outside the stand. All Competitors should avail themselves of the opportunity to view targets whilst waiting their turn to shoot. Unless they are watching Chard shoot in which case they are entitled to see a pair again, access to free therapy & lessons off Phil Moss to correct the damage done by watching said Chard shoot.......