Foxing

Osgoodbyshooter

.223 hand down win i`m afraid, .222 is an odd calibre not used that much making factory rounds virtually impossible to find and not a great range of bullet weights for reloading, also the rifles themselves are a pain to obtain and shift on, .223`s fly off the shelves and sell quickly privatly. reloading .223 there are a mass of weights etc giving you lots of possible results depending on your style.

.223 hand down win i`m afraid, .222 is an odd calibre not used that much making factory rounds virtually impossible to find and not a great range of bullet weights for reloading

erm to be polite that's ******** :).. you can get .222 factory loads easy enough, granted there is a limited selection but they all go bang and kill foxes :) As for the greater range of Bullet weights.. it's the same heads in a .222 as a .223, the only real difference is .223 is better with the heavier weights over 50 grains. Most folk shoot foxes with 40 grainer's from their .223 which are just as effective when shot out a .222

Rifles are esier to come by.

Ammunition is esier to come by and in greater selection.

More accurate at longer range so im old.

Legal for deer(not sure the .222 is)

Military ammunition is esier to come by as is components.

Most if not all manufacturers chamber new rifles in .222.

Only if you want to use heavy bullets for target shooting which will require a different twist rate.

.222 is as deer legal as .223.

Who uses mil surp for foxing.

Remember that the .222 was the choice of bench rest shooters and was not replaced by the .223.

The humble .222 should not be dismissed out of hand by half truths.

Most if not all manufacturers chamber new rifles in .222.

Only if you want to use heavy bullets for target shooting which will require a different twist rate.

.222 is as deer legal as .223.

Who uses mil surp for foxing.

Remember that the .222 was the choice of bench rest shooters and was not replaced by the .223.

The humble .222 should not be dismissed out of hand by half truths.

I chuckle so much at your posts ...the .222 is dead in the water and fewer and fewer manufacturers now chamber it, including Remington (as in the REMINGTON .222).

Military ammo in 5.56 is higher pressure than .223 and should not be used, so nothing to do with anything!

.222 factory ammo is getting harder and harder to find and will continue to get harder.

If you reload then by all means consider a .222, as you will pick up a used rifle at a good price, and they are still a decent caliber, plenty of heads for reloading.

If you do not reload then do not consider a .222, go the .223 route!

:D:D

I chuckle so much at your posts ...the .222 is dead in the water and fewer and fewer manufacturers now chamber it, including Remington (as in the REMINGTON .222).

Military ammo in 5.56 is higher pressure than .223 and should not be used, so nothing to do with anything!

.222 factory ammo is getting harder and harder to find and will continue to get harder.

If you reload then by all means consider a .222, as you will pick up a used rifle at a good price, and they are still a decent caliber, plenty of heads for reloading.

If you do not reload then do not consider a .222, go the .223 route!

:D:D

Excellent Deckers ...................touchet :lol: .

Other things to factor in are, will you ever be shooting deer & which kind ?

What distance are you likely to be shooting at?

If it`s a yes to the first Q then .243, if No, then either .222 or .223.

If it`s 300yds or more then .223, but ask yourself are you a good enough shot and is the ammo you intend to use good enough ? If No, or you aren`t sure .222 and reload for it.

I got my triple in the NE of England at a sweet price, because they thought it was a defunct calibre way back then and was only fox legal. I use it for roe and it knocks them down as good as the 6.5x55. I now re-load and am confident enough with my ammo to shoot out to 250 for fox and crows and hope to push that to 300 with a few more test loads.

The cases are easy to get hold of, take a tenth less powder than the .223, so cheaper and no need to faff about with different bullet weights. I stick to 50gn apart from recently having a try with 40gn for paper punching.