Which crops ?

Cranfield

Where are you finding the pigeons at the moment ?

Having been away, I went for a tour round today.

Nothing on the rape, which seems to have shot up in the last 10 days.

Barely a dozen on the peas and they didn,t hang around.

A few sitting on the edges of the woods, but they weren,t feeding.

They can,t ALL be busy making babies. ;)

Theres been up to 50 on a new sown barley field. Got a call last friday to shoot a pea field, but the birds have moved on for now. Plenty of clover and chickweed in the pasture fields, should be worth a look. On saturday I'll be setting up at the side of a new sown barley field on a barley field that is well and truly growing,should be ok if i can show the decoys above the crop.

They all seem to be pre-occupied with procreation around here. The few I've encountered have all been on the clover, and they're not in huge numbers. Managed to bag a couple today, but they were "extras". I was actually after the maggies and put out two pigeon deeks just in case.

MOST OF THE BIRDS WILL BE FOUND REALLY CLOSE TO MAJOR NESTING AREAS, BIG WOODS, WILD THORN HEDGES ECT

LOOK NO FURTHER THAN 1 MILE FROM THESE PLACES...

FLIGHTS MAINLY COMING OUT AFTER 2.30pm AND BIRDS STILL FOUND TO BE TOP UP FEEDING AS LATE AS 8.30pm.

BIRDS FEEDING FOR VERY SHORT PERIODS (as little as 15 - 30mins)

MOST OF OUR SPORT BEING FOUND ON GROWING PEAS AFTER 2.30pm...

STILL SHOOTING THOSE RAPE HOLES, A CLIENT LAST FRIDAY MADE A VERY NICE BAG OF 64 FOR 95 SHOTS FROM 3.00pm - 7.00pm AT A VERY SMALL HOLE IN A LARGE RAPE FIELD...

BIRDS REALLY GETTING STUCK INTO THE BEECH FLOWER ON STILL DAY'S, THIS PAST FEW DAY'S THE WIND HAS REALLY HELPED US...

MARK MY WORDS....

YOU WILL HARDLY SEE A BIRD FOR THE NEXT FEW WEEKS IF THE WIND DOESN'T BLOW... (THEY CAN NOT GET TO THE BEECH FLOWER IN THE WIND)

LOOK FOR THOSE CLOVER RICH PADDOCKS ON ANY WET DAY, THEY WILL USE THEM STRAIGHT AWAY TO AVOID GETTING MUDDY FEET, I HAVE SHOT SOME GREAT BAGS ON WET DAY'S AT THIS TIME OF YEAR SHOOTING OVER CLOVER...

IN GENERAL SPORT WILL BE SLOW AND HARD TO FIND UP TO THE END OF MAY, THE SHOOTING WILL COME ON SONG ONCE THE TREES HAVE FINISHED FLOWERING, ANOTHER FEW WEEKS YET...

ALL THE VERY BEST

SHOOT STRAIGHT

GARY...

Shot a field today that consists of peas,oats and barley being grown for cattle food.

The wind was perfect and there was a bit of cloud about.

I shot at 55 pigeons and finished up with 43. Every bird decoyed superbly. I replaced all the plastic decoys with dead birds and this coupled with a floater proved irresistible

The best period for action was between 2 and 4 pm. The evening was a tad slow. Overall a superb day at a relatively tricky time of year as Gary says. To back up another good point gary made, the field I shot was 200 yards from a superb deciduous wood, perfect for woodies at this time of year.

Im of to try my luck on some clover shortly......been a few about the last couple of days!

weather is just right here in Hampshire at the moment...damp...overcast and windy.

Wont set up till about dinner time (1 o'clock)

All the best

Buzzer :devil:

Spring rape is what I am shooting over at the moment and has been for the past 5 outings. It is just one field surrounded by winter rape, sugar beet and wheat so my way of thinking is this is the only field they will be feeding on.

That theory has worked well, with a total of 80 for the five outings.

Sniper

:devil: We went for a look round this afternoon and found a few on two pea fields either side of the road.One field belongs to a farmer who has given us permission before but as we havent been there for a number of years we thought it best to check we were still welcome and to see who owned the field over the road.

We arrived at the farmhouse and the farmers wife was pottering about outside so my mate Lloydy who is not known for being backward at coming forward immediatly rushes up to her shouting "how are you Mrs xxxxx, great to see you again." He then throws his arms round her cuddling her like a long lost girlfriend.In fact i thought he was going to get her kit off at one stage. She pulled clear and after regaining her composure she said

"Who are you?"

I was about to get back in the motor and beat a retreat but he persevered with the chat line and we not only got permission to shoot her field but also the one over the road as they owned that one as well.

He helped me set up in the one field and he trekked off to the other which looked the best bet but too far for me.

Had a steady afternoon picking up 72 at the end with me accounting for 25 of them.

He rang the farmer when we got home to tell him and he didnt remember us either but was that happy with the result that he said we can go anytime.

All in all a good afternoons sport. ???:):D

• 3 weeks later...

Very poor up here at the moment.

All the birds spending most of their time in the woods, which is okay, I like them to get at least one brood off.

We've done nothing for ages, all the drillings were too deep, the rape was rubbish, and everything else is either winter wheat or barley! :lol:

I'm expecting any decent shooting for at least a month. ??????

Apart from the special pea field Larry is saving for us. :blink:

(well actually, they're just ordinary peas.)