Scotland

four-wheel-drive

I was talking to some people the other day about Scotland and they said why is it that they can have free proscriptions and university's etc and we cannot.

I said that the Uk government give Scotland some cash and it is up to them what they spend it on this said they do get more per head than we do.

The answer came back to me that the cost of living is higher there than it is in England also its a lot colder in winter so they need more money than us.

This got me thinking Scandinavia is also very cold but they keep worm buy building homes out of wood with triple glazing so the are much cheaper to keep worm

My question is why do the Scots build houses out of stone when wooden homes would be wormer and cheaper to build and I think that they have plenty of forests up there to get wood from.

This got me thinking Scandinavia is also very cold but they keep worm buy building homes out of wood with triple glazing so the are much cheaper to keep worm

My question is why do the Scots build houses out of stone when wooden homes would be wormer and cheaper to build and I think that they have plenty of forests up there to get wood from.

Maybe too much woodwarm? (sic)

In short the Scandinavians have a lot more room than the Scots, Sweden alone is almost 6 times the size of Scotland. The whole population of Sweden is about 9m compared to 5m in Scotland so on average Swedes have something like 10 x the space of a Scot! Combine that with the population density across the M8 belt and there simply isn't enough room for everyone to have a cosy log cabin in the woods,

It is because we subsidise the Scots to the tune of around £1,700 per person per year. In return the Scots argue that we receive 'their' £50 million oil revenues. So, let's do the maths; There are 5 million Scots being subsidised at £1,700 per year = £85,000,000,000 by my reckoning and we get £50,000,000 back in oil revenue. I wonder what they spend all the money on :hmm:

It is because we subsidise the Scots to the tune of around £1,700 per person per year. In return the Scots argue that we receive 'their' £50 million oil revenues. So, let's do the maths; There are 5 million Scots being subsidised at £1,700 per year = £85,000,000,000 by my reckoning and we get £50,000,000 back in oil revenue. I wonder what they spend all the money on :hmm:

:lol::lol:

I like your maths UK :)

In short the Scandinavians have a lot more room than the Scots, Sweden alone is almost 6 times the size of Scotland. The whole population of Sweden is about 9m compared to 5m in Scotland so on average Swedes have something like 10 x the space of a Scot! Combine that with the population density across the M8 belt and there simply isn't enough room for everyone to have a cosy log cabin in the woods,

If this is so why should it be that one of the most populated country's in the world Ie Japan as we see on the tv most of there houses are made of wood in there case for safety as its better to have a wooden wall fall on you when there is an earthquake than a concrete one.

Its not much use if a fifty foot wave cums down the road at you but then you would need a pretty substantial concrete building to save you from that the only answer to that is to run to the hills as fast as you can.

Your maths suck. 2 million barrels a day at maybe £75 per barrel, multiply by 365 days. Its a waaaaaaay lot more than 50 million.

Back to the blackboard buddy.

Your maths suck. 2 million barrels a day at maybe £75 per barrel, multiply by 365 days. Its a waaaaaaay lot more than 50 million.

Back to the blackboard buddy.

£50 million is revenue in taxes, not gross and is as quoted by the Scottish Parliament.

As in the last 30 years Scotland has contributed more than £275 Billion in oil revenues. In the last four years the Scottish Economy contributed + £3.5 Billion to the Union whilst the UK economy as a whole lost - £72.5 Billion. ;)

You's lot are hadding us back!! :)

Edited by t jack

As in the last 30 years Scotland has contributed more than £275 Billion in oil revenues. In the last four years the Scottish Economy contributed + £3.5 Billion to the Union whilst the UK economy as a whole lost - £72.5 Billion. ;)

You's lot are hadding us back!! :)

Exactly, we'll keep the oil revenue thanks and the rest of you can **** off and debte how perfect Englandshire is. :blink:

Edited by game_boy

You reckon its taxed at 1/10 %? I wish!

Hang on.... are you honestly telling us you think there is no cost involved in extracting oil and that if it sells at $100 a barrel that is all taxable profit ???:lol::lol::lol:

Get a grip man, oil prospecting, surveying and extraction are extortionately expensive...

You have had a few beers tonight haven't you... please say yes :look:

Hang on.... are you honestly telling us you think there is no cost involved in extracting oil and that if it sells at $100 a barrel that is all taxable profit ???:lol::lol::lol:

Get a grip man, oil prospecting, surveying and extraction are extortionately expensive...

You have had a few beers tonight haven't you... please say yes :look:

No, im saying that theres a whole lot more then 50 million generated for the government by north sea oil every year.

God its not like our government has been acting like some Arab shake putting all of the money in to there own bank account the money has gone to help the hole of the uk that includes England Scotland Wales Northern Ireland etc etc.

A good proportion of the UK government and that includes prime ministers have been Scottish so I do not no quite what they have to quibble about.

Add to this that we English have Scottish MPs voting on things that only affect people in England I think that it is us who should be complaining.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Here we go again :no: It would be better if once and again someone could come up with some different moans about Scotland and the absolute wealth you seem to feel we are paid by yourselves. After all, you seem to think we are all just a bunch of Haggis eating whingers who need to draw 2000% benefits out of your pockets. Do you feel that all of Englands debt would be paid by us not getting the Barnett formula? And then there is the mythyological amount of money we either do or don't generate from oil revenue....and on ....and on....and on. :P:P:P

Pushkin :lol:

Here we go again :no: It would be better if once and again someone could come up with some different moans about Scotland and the absolute wealth you seem to feel we are paid by yourselves. After all, you seem to think we are all just a bunch of Haggis eating whingers who need to draw 2000% benefits out of your pockets. Do you feel that all of Englands debt would be paid by us not getting the Barnett formula? And then there is the mythyological amount of money we either do or don't generate from oil revenue....and on ....and on....and on. :P:P:P

Pushkin :lol:

I agree, mate. And not just because you're a Fifer :lol:

Of course we are forgetting that Scotland was much more densely populated before Corby opened :oops: