204 ruger or any .20 cal

what do you want to do with the gun? How much work and time do you want to put in? I went through this when I got my 17. The factory options were the FB and the 17 rem. Both have brass and rounds on the market. I went 17 AH, which meant more expensive dies, case forming before shooting anything, a round of fireforming, and then load development. It also meant a custom barrel. Benefit? Performance exactly what I wanted, custom build quality, high quality everything. If I do my part, I know the gun will do its part.

Performance wise, there isn't much between a 204 and a 20 tac. At that point the difference is between custom and factory. Both will be good in a custom rifle. Only the 204 comes in a factory rifle. Personally, between the two I'd get the 204.

Thanks

Rick

I run a 20BR, full custom. Its my first choice fox rifle, missed 2 from 34 foxes I have shot at with it, longest one was 252 yards, and one of those misses was the last one.

Prac 20 would be my first choice on the case size you are looking at, this is a no neck turn version of a 223 necked down to 20 caliber. Tac20 is the same case but with the neck turned to suit a reduced size chamber. Aim to shoot the Sierra 39gr Blitzking, its an excellent bullet, personally for sub 300 yard work its the best that I have found, Accurate, takes high speed and fast twists and is devastating on arrival. You would need a 1 in 11 twist I think from memory. I am using them in a 1 in 9 throated for the 50gr Berger, its a bit fast for the 39 really but it works well at about 3600-3700, (not measured it ). Shoots the 39s in teh .3s and the Berger 50s in the .2s when I do my bit.

Most economical way to do it is to buy a shot out older Sako or older Tikka (not a T3) in 223, sent it to one of our custom builders and get them to put a new 20 cal barrel on it and possably fit an aftermarket trigger and away you go. If money is no object then do full custom single shot on a Remmy clone action of your choice, Russ Gall does a nice one made in England, mine is a Lawton 7500 but there are others just as good. The bolt will slide a bit nicer, it will shoot very slightly tighter groups ( say .3 instead of maybe .7) and of course you can have the stock you want on it. It wont though kill much more than a semi custom Sako/Tikka unless its a hell of a long way away.

I also run a 17AH, just to be different, just getting used to it a bit. All my rifles are wildcats except 22LR, blokes on Saubier have a lot to answer for !!

A

Edited by Alycidon

dougy I have a couple of mates that have 20 tac's and have shot the one. its a very accurate fast shooting round. and can spot the hits on vermin due to lack of recoil.

if your going to go 20 tac you will have to reload though. not a bad thing as that is the best way to get every last bit of accuracy out of them.

my one mate wayne is selling his rifle at the moment as he is giving up shooting for the time being. due to his local land being sold off he had permission on.

the rifle is a stainless action remmy 700 that was barreled into a 20tac using a pacnor 24 inch 1 in 11 twist stainless supe match 3 groove barrel.

it has a jewell match trigger, and is fitted into a aftermarket h&s blue/grey cammo stock with alloy bedding block.

it also comes screwcut 5/8 thread with a 20 cal wildcat stainless mod. and leupold stainless rings and bases. the boreguide and cleaning rod's and cleaning bits will come with the rifle and so will any bullets and brass he has with it. and redding comp seater die and redding neck and bump die.

would cost abit to have built now wayne wants £1200 for it though you may be able to come to a deal. he will also give you the load data for the 32 grain and 40 grain bullets. it is silly accurate and you will be very impressed with it if you where after a 20 calibre rifle.

he also has press,rcbs chargemaster,other reloading bits and bobs that he is going to sell once the rifle go's

harris bipod's, slings, reloading manual's primer's, powders, etc etc... the nightforce 5.5x22x56 scope with np2dd retical will also be for sale, its mint, sunshade boxed the lot

here is the rifle PA300189.jpg

001-1.jpg

Edited by jamie g

Thanks chaps, i will be going for either a sako or tikka action i think, reloading was always on the cards.

The BR or PPC were on the list, then knocked off due to not being able to mag feed.

Dougy a 6br will feed perfect from a tikka m590 or m595 action if using the 22/250 mag. im sure a good smith could get the 20 br to feed from that mag if the 6br does ?

Edited by jamie g

what do you want to do with the gun? How much work and time do you want to put in? I went through this when I got my 17. The factory options were the FB and the 17 rem. Both have brass and rounds on the market. I went 17 AH, which meant more expensive dies, case forming before shooting anything, a round of fireforming, and then load development. It also meant a custom barrel. Benefit? Performance exactly what I wanted, custom build quality, high quality everything. If I do my part, I know the gun will do its part.

Performance wise, there isn't much between a 204 and a 20 tac. At that point the difference is between custom and factory. Both will be good in a custom rifle. Only the 204 comes in a factory rifle. Personally, between the two I'd get the 204.

Thanks

Rick

:good::good::good:

Exactly!

I always look at the problem I am faced with and then look at the best way to deal with it, seems that many work the other way round..."I fancy a .17 Fireball or .20 Tac or something off the wall, now what the **** can I do with it"! :hmm::hmm:

Nothing wrong with playing/customising just the same, EVERY calibre has it's uses!

:yes::good::good:

ATB!

I all ready have a sako75 in 22.250 just had it rebarreled, i just fancy another, as i got caught out last year, asked to do some foxing and my sako was away for a few weeks, **** law you get a call for help when its impossible.The farmer got a strop on said "i'll get someone else then" i think he was having a bad day. Anyway thats why i'm asking i need another rifle as a spare just in case :yes: and could get another 22.250 i have a slot, but i just fancy a change. I have heard some good reports from shooters who have them, not people who want to sell them ie gun shops. (not refering to you jamie g)

I remember fister having probs feeding at Bisley 3 years ago, thats why i would rather not go down the BR/PPC line.

It will be for the same use as my 22.250, fox and anything smaller.

thanks chaps. i think i may be leaning towards the ruger at the mo :good:

I have a .204 ruger and I love it. It is a pleasure to shoot and does everything I've ever asked of it. I can shoot single whole groups out to 200yds I think the rifle is capable of a lot further but my scope isn't. When inwas looking to buy the rifle I was a little afraid as I had read that they were ammo fussy but I've found that to be far from the truth with mine, I have use factory rounds in the Past and to be honest of the two sorts I tried they shot well. I have decided to reload for it but only because of cost of the factory rounds. The only real problem with using this calibre is finding things like brass and cleaning kits but if you have any problems give me a shout as I have found supplies of them all now. If you are ever in my area and fancy a go with mine you would be more than welcome

Nick

just stick with ya .22-250 john ive got a .17rem on ticket to buy but my .22-250 does everything i ask it so im being a bit tight.

if ya needed a hand on the foxes and ya rifle wasnt at home ya should of phoned me id of come over and give ya a hand like old days.lol

Edited by SPARKIE

just stick with ya .22-250 john ive got a .17rem on ticket to buy but my .22-250 does everything i ask it so im being a bit tight.

if ya needed a hand on the foxes and ya rifle wasnt at home ya should of phoned me id of come over and give ya a hand like old days.lol

Thanks for the offer Sparkie :good: , but if i got other folk to sort out fox's on my permisions i wouldn't have any need for a FAC, then i could spend more time in the pub getting drunk getting home some how then ending up falling out with the Mrs. could be very very expensive :yp: . On the other hand i could buy another rifle, a little less expensive :rolleyes: So ................ what i'm trying to say is

"al4x" your spot on :good:

its an excuse sparkie he wants another toy ;)

Edited by Dougy

I have a custom 20BR based on a Sako 75 action with 1:10.25 twist border barrell.

The gunsmith adapted by hand (using the correct sako parts) the magazine and it feeds fine.

No problems with .5 groups using 32g and 39 sierra's but just bought some 40g nosler and 50g berger to try out.

Andy

Picture here http://www.grayswood.plus.com/pics/IMG_1272.JPG