Browning A-Bolt. What do you think of them?

njc110381

Guys, I'm looking at buying a Browning A-Bolt in .223 so was wondering if a few of you may use one? What do you think of it? Trigger pull crisp? Accurate? Have you had any issues with it? They seem a bit cheap but are marketed by Browning. I would expect them to be reasonably good for the sake of brand reputation?

Any feedback you can give me would be much appreciated. :good:

Stock finish isn't an issue, I want synthetic. So general build quality seems ok apart from the woodwork?

build quality is fine, just remember your not paying steyr money, the buckmark on the other hand was expensive for a .22 semi, so i was expecting better wood. the win 70 was exceptional for the money, compared to remington, the stock was a bell&carlson jobbie, and the barrel fluting was seemless, action nice and smooth, still not a steyr but better than most for the money.

Value for money is all I expect really. And perhaps to know that I don't have to spend more to get something that works well! Stock to metal fit means nothing to me as long as it will punch a small group and doesn't have a trigger like a bag of nails!

EDIT... Does anyone have a link to the Browning site with a .223 A-Bolt composite stalker on? I've found the A-Bolt but small calibres aren't listed?!

Edited by njc110381

I have one in .243 and can't fault it. The mag system is the best there is (detachable box mag AND a floor plate). I'm fussy about triggers but mine was spot on out of the box. It's quite light though so I wouldn't want to put a big heavy mod on it. I have the Steyer Predator 8 on there which is fine but the Compact would bring the centre of balance back a bit further which would be ideal.

I'd quite like to put a PES on mine. They're nice and slim.

Well it sounds like they're decent guns. Just what I wanted to hear really. The prices are fantastic and I'd rather buy a new .223 over a used one. It's a bit of a range calibre what with the cheap surplus ammo so it's much more likely to have seen a lot of rounds (at least that's the way I see it).

I have one in .243 and can't fault it. The mag system is the best there is (detachable box mag AND a floor plate). I'm fussy about triggers but mine was spot on out of the box. It's quite light though so I wouldn't want to put a big heavy mod on it. I have the Steyer Predator 8 on there which is fine but the Compact would bring the centre of balance back a bit further which would be ideal.

morning col , what scope do you use / are happy with on the 243 ?

:good: Another one happy chappy here, i bought a 2nd hand 30.06 does what it says on the box :good: only had one fault that was shooter error "the bolt wasnt cleaned" resulted in lost Fallow, nowt came owt the barrel :o dirty firing pin :yes:

IMO the wood looks pretty good on mine

Yeah I learned the hard way about cleaning bolts now and again. Luckily all I lost was a bunny, but it was still annoying. Even the best kit will fail eventually if it's not looked after correctly. :good:

Cheers for all the positive comments. Has anyone got anything bad to say about them?!

Funnily enough I'm just about to order one in .30-06 to use as a client gun on Fallow, Sika and Reds.

£495 brand new. I can use it hard for a few years then when renewal comes up sell it dirt cheap and buy another one.

Incidentely the only calibres I was told you could get were .222, .223, .243, .308, .30-06 and .300wm.

When I was looking for a .223 I went to the shop and had a feel of one of these and I liked how light it was and nice it felt holding it but the stock just looked shocking it honestly looked like they had bought it in the pound shop. Other than that I was impressed with the action how smooth it felt and most of all how cheap it was for a brand new rifle. I however kept looking and a Howa varmint stainless hogue stock came up for sale on here at a price I couldn't refuse and was a full set up so I got that instead and would never look back I think it's the best and most accurate rifle I've ever owned I can shoot a 3 round group at 100 yds and cover It easily with a penny. Best thing to do would be to see if a friend had a browning and have a few shots other than that get to the shop and have a feel of them. Atb

Browning Firearm:

Features of Browning's X-Bolt Composite Stalker include a steel matte blue finished glass bedded Receiver that is drilled and tapped for scope mounts, free floating target crown barrel, adjustable Feather Trigger, detachable rotary magazine, sling swivel studs and an Inflex Technology recoil pad.

Browning 35205208 Specifications:

•Action: Bolt Action

•Caliber: .223 Remington/5.56 Nato

•Barrel Length: 22"

•Capacity: 5 + 1

•Trigger: Adjustable

•Safety: Top Tang Safety

•Length: 41 1/4"

•Weight: 6 lbs 3 oz

•Stock: Black Composite

•Finish: Blued

cant find twist rate but will have a look later, i did find a few bits of reloading data.

i like the sound of the dinky 223 round though

Edited by activeviii

What about an A-Bolt though?! :P

I like the look of the WSSM but supposedly it starts to erode the throat of the barrel in less than 500 rounds. That's some serious powder burning, noise and expense that I don't need!

EDIT... Just looked on the Hodgdon site and the WSSM uses near double the powder my .223 used to! No wonder it melts barrels!

Edited by njc110381

Right forget that as it was A-bolt i found the info for at 1:30 lastnight for you. i must have copied the wrong one.

E-mail browning. i did have the phone number for a gent that dealt solely with browning. i'll see if i can find it.

My god. twice as much in half the size case. unreal. i think you should just get a .260 and be done with it.lol.

Phil.

Hi - I bought one about 3 months ago, its in .223, plastic stock fitted with ASE Mod.

Got some winchester 55grn soft ponts with it, not my favourite brand, but after shooting the gun in with some privvies, I then went for a group @ 100yards off a bi-pod using the Winchesters, and got a group 3/8ths of 1 inch - well pleased.

Still tinkering about with reloads - 50 grn V-Max with 25grn N133 looking good.

A nice light vermin gun.

Made by Miroku in Japan for Browning.

Hope that helps.

Al.

Just got myself a s/g Browning A-Bolt Medalion .243 as a stalking/fox rifle. with priv it was shooting under an inch at 100m with my first few shots...happy as can be with it. would like to reduce the trigger pull just a tad so my brother in the USA will be sending me a lighter spring.

atb