lidl bargain again

semiautolee

ideal if any one wants to have a go at making there own magnet etc......available from the 25/04/2011

look like a handy bit of kit. link is below :good::good:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//SID-5882EA8D-42FDB9B1/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_20110.htm?offerdate=&ar2=10&id=1028&country=GB&zipcode=DL14+9AB&city=Durham&district=Bishop+Auckland&street=St.+Helens+Auckland&ar=10&nf=True

For thin stuff I prefer Tig,

Mig would be the easy one for beginners.

Even Mig starts around the £270 Mark.

I think a cheap little toy like this is better to get you started, than having the whole 'All the Gear, No Idea' thing going on.

Your not going to be able to weld a Landy Chassis together, but heck, you won't even be able to do that with 'Cheap' (£300) Welders.

Also, if it explodes you've got a lawsuit on your hands!

ideal if any one wants to have a go at making there own magnet etc......available from the 25/04/2011

look like a handy bit of kit. link is below :good::good:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//SID-5882EA8D-42FDB9B1/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_20110.htm?offerdate=&ar2=10&id=1028&country=GB&zipcode=DL14+9AB&city=Durham&district=Bishop+Auckland&street=St.+Helens+Auckland&ar=10&nf=True

Seems good enough for small repairs etc :good:

Oi dont give people ideas you will put me out of buisness.lol

anyhow it would be cheaper to buy the target holder from me than to make your own. ;)

Lets See then ?

I bought a mig welder, auto tinting helmet and was determined to teach meself to weld (some experience 30yrs ago) but it never happened :( HOWEVER, now someones mentioned making targets/holders.......mmmmm :hmm:

I bought a C Giant chinese inverter welder off evil bay a couple of years ago with plasma cutting and tig ability. I haven't upgraded to either of the two yet and just use it for stick welding. It is absolutely brilliant. The current is electronically controlled and very smooth compared to the old 'oxford' oil filled thing I learned on.

How much was it? £180 !! The equivalent at machine mart was about £900.

You would be utterly amazed at the prices of chinese top quality goods. C Giant also made my electric guitar.

Ive just received a CR123A charger and 4 lithium ion batteries from Hong Kong which cost £8 inc postage

I've also ordered a few dirt cheap Li ion batts (remember they are lightweight) to bring a couple of cordless drills back into service. Cost £10 each, inc PP. Ive ordered a 6.8 Ah Li ion battery for my gunlight weighing a fraction of my dead Lead battery the same as the deben ones minus 'charge indicator' for only £15 inc PP.

Escape from rip off Britain and deal with Asia directly.0

Update 8 May 201 - these were too weak to operate either my drills or deben tracer light. It was a gamble that didn't pay off. I couldn't find out the max current output. Thats one problem with li-ion powerpacks - they are a battery and control board in a box. The protection circuits needed for li-ion cause the unit to shut off if you attempt to draw power too quickly. Mind you, that saved me from blowing up three perfectly good batteries.

I'm posting this at risk of looking a fool because i've been PM'd asking about which batteries to buy and I'd hate for anyone to make the same mistake.

:yes:

Edited by Jaguar Warrior

well for someone wanting to have a go at welding or have a go at making a magnet etc... cant see why it shouldnt be ok for the price :good:

'cause it is a lot harder to weld with cheap kit than with decent kit. You'll be constantly frustrated between blowing holes, things only being stuck together with slag and it cutting out due to it's pathetic duty cycle.

Nothing worse than trying to work with a cheap welder. For that price, buy a magnet.

'cause it is a lot harder to weld with cheap kit than with decent kit. You'll be constantly frustrated between blowing holes, things only being stuck together with slag and it cutting out due to it's pathetic duty cycle.

Nothing worse than trying to work with a cheap welder. For that price, buy a magnet.

I have to agree, for someone trying to learn they will quickly get frustrated with the stick welder posted, you might get something bird sh1tted together but the welds will break constantly. To be honest I doubt that welder listed would manage much more that a 3" weld in thin steel before the thermal cut off kicked in, even then the steel will most likely be distorted.

I'm not a welder but used to repair everything from low end DIY kit to awesome Migatronic MMA\MIG\TIG welders and the difference is night and day as I haad to be able to test them and am reasonably competent. The inverter units give you flexibility in a small space and are great for smallish jobs and give you the choice between MMA\TIG but have the power to back it up.

If you want to make cheap magnets\target holders i'd get hold of a good second hand MIG as you can manually pulse to avoid blowing holes in the steel with 0.8 wire or drop to 0.6, my personal preference would be TIG with HF start with a pulse\slope panel and pedal; however that's going to cost a serious lot more that the set we are discussing here.

Thanks to the original poster for the heads up but IMO this is like starting shooting with a really badly fitting gun where you will give up and it sits in the garage unused.

Cheers,

Jon.

OMG you have got me onto the subject of welding,

My only grade A at O level in 1987 was Metalwork (3D Studies)

I have several methods of welding available to me:

MIG welder.

High purchase cost

Capable of welding thin metal, used it a lot on car body repairs

Wire goes rusty and doesn't weld as well if left for long periods

Oxy/Acet bottles.

Versatile, can braze, cut etc

You must observe all safety requirements eg flashback arrestors etc etc.

Good for lighting BBQs

Manual Metal Arc welding (Stick welding)

Cheap to buy

Difficult to maintain steady arc

No good for thin metal

Tig welding.

Very expensive set up - not used since college days

I have gone back to using an arc welder for trailer construction, quick and easy, good depth of weld penetration at high current.

All thanks to Mr Roden - metalwork teacher, school; Terry Hampton - metalwork tutor, college and Ed Walley - legend, manure spreader inventor

All thanks to Mr Roden - metalwork teacher, school; Terry Hampton - metalwork tutor, college and Ed Walley - legend, manure spreader inventor

And when are you going to start building gigantic statues of men and not really know where to put them? (that's what he seems to be doing these days)