l200 or navara

cocker3

well the time has come am selling my land rover defender 90 as i need a crew cab (need more than 2 seats now )i have £3000 and am thinking along the lines of an mits l200 or a nissan navara .

so what are the good and bad points on both please

I wouldnt but either save a liitle more money and get a Hilux, :D

The L200 has issues with heads so check before you buy you will see loads of adverts stating new engine at about 60-70,000 miles, :o they also have some issues with Turbo's. :o

with the Navara there are some issues with cranks and engine blowing again my advise is to check it throughly maybe an independant check by the RAC or AA!!!!! :)

Try googling "nackerednavara.com" some quite interesting reading on there.

I did use to have an L200 and that was fine but i did only keep it a couple of years then got the Hilux

Hope you find what your looking for :good:

ATB

I have an L200 so a little biased.

Had 3 navaras on the game farm and we had some serious problems with them, would not have one as a gift now.

We have gone back to L200 and they are spot on, sensible money, sensible parts if you need them and excellent dealer service.

Nissan just bucked squirmed every time there was a problem, and there were lots, electronic 4wd packed up every other week (nissan said we must be towing lol) gear boxes,clutches etc etc. Just a nightmare start to finsh - we need reliability when you are going up the motorway with a trailer full of birds, disastrous if they let us down.

Just my experience - but it sticks.

L200 despit engine issues which were only for 2 years any way they are solid reliable and dead easy to work on parts are cheap I've had three now and wouldn't buy anything else navaras are **** !

so which 2 years did they have the problems mate,im also toying with the idea of getting an l200!

DAZ

so which 2 years did they have the problems mate,im also toying with the idea of getting an l200!

DAZ

around 2003 they had a dodgy batch of heads bear in mind the 4d56 engine in pre 2006 L200's was fitted to shoguns, and pajeros for years before its a decent engine. If the head goes its a grand fix so isn't that major an expense. Hilux's trade on their reputation more than anything price wise I bought a mint 2005 with 60K on it for the same price as a 2001 Hilux with 150k on it to me that is a no brainer. Can't comment on the navaras as not had one but had two L200's so far and would have another.

i had a 2010 l200 animal after 5months the main bearings in the engine went only done 5000 miles . the dealers hinted its not the first one they have had with this problem .the enigine was only rebuilt will never look at a mitsi again . will stay with the defender

Apparently the mazda if your tight is the way to go or ... Hilux but it'll cost. L200 engine problems navara also con rods go I think. Also l200 v expensive to run as navara I hear. Couple of mates got a Mazda crew cabs the like em

I've said it before on here...I own a late model Navara (3 1/2 years old and it looks like 10!)and as anyone who knows me will agree, it's the hardest worked off road vehicle you're likely to see. Sure it needs maintenance, it's a hard working truck and gets abused, put into all sorts of seriously bad off road situations and still it's not let me down. It's not a pretty sight but it's one hell of a truck and the only fault I'd say is it's thirst.

I think all the bad press relating to Navaras is about the pre 2006 models and many other makes also have such periodic glitches.

With only £3000 to spend you're unlikely to find a late model Navara so pick a tried and tested option...Toyota Hilux or an L200 only not the latest model as they're for hairdressers! :oops:

thanks lads for the imput the hilux is not for me (as my daughter said when i showed her a picture of one yuck ) :lol::lol: tho so think am goin to have a look at afew l200 s and see whats about i only want it for transporting the dogs about and going shooting :good::good:

thanks lads for the imput the hilux is not for me (as my daughter said when i showed her a picture of one yuck ) :lol::lol: tho so think am goin to have a look at afew l200 s and see whats about i only want it for transporting the dogs about and going shooting :good::good:

there are loads about that have just been used as cars, all depends on your budget 2005 models are a bargain at the moment as they are the last of the old shape and there is a big step up to the new shape price wise. The new ones are a little more economical and you can run on the road in 4x4 which are the main differences

there are loads about that have just been used as cars, all depends on your budget 2005 models are a bargain at the moment as they are the last of the old shape and there is a big step up to the new shape price wise. The new ones are a little more economical and you can run on the road in 4x4 which are the main differences

I don't like the new shape, too posey. Too many round here driven by blokes who gel their hair and wear gold chains.( and never go off road)