Mud tyres in Snow or AT`s

CZ550Kevlar

I need to replace the road tyres on my newly acquired Daihatsu Terios with new off road tyres, i will be doing 30% on road and 70% off road and my furthest permission is about 5 miles or so away so fuel consumption isn`t really an issue.

The thing is i want a tyre that will work well in mud and good for getting me up hills etc in the snow as i live on the side of a valley and have to tackle steep hills in snow to get about. I know we only get one or two bits of snow a year down south but i don`t want to find myself a victim of getting stuck, on my frontera LWB 2.2 i had Nexen roadian A/T tyres but i don`t think they will work well on the Daihatsu because of the smaller engine etc.

Can anyone reccomend me some tyres please? in 205 70 15 95s is what`s on at the moment.

Cheers All

bf goodrich mud terrain :good:

Ditto ... I am a bfg user in the past . But just put insa turbo dakars on my disco . They are half the price but the same pattern . They are just as good offroad but road noise is horrendous . My advice is go bfg that's what all offroad tyre manufacturers are copying

fresh snow or packed snow/ice? Fresh snow either the AT or MT will be fine, but if it is packed snow and ice then a dedicated winter tyre will be better.

I'd go for MT tyres and keep a set of chains handy when you go out in the snow :good:

I have BFG Muds on my Rangerover, it was great in the snow during the last couple of years. Sometimes I was the only thing moving, one morning this year I had the A2 to myself for a couple of miles, not another car in sight :D

They are also great in mud, as you'd expect.

I've heard conflicting reports about mt vs at in the snow, I currently run greenway mt's on the 90 and vredestein wintrac snow tyres on the landcruiser (the vreds are also ok on soft ground, I'd say around the AT tyre performance mark) I didn't really have any problems with either on the snow and ice, but I will say that the vredesteins were far far better. They seemed to give fantastic amounts of grip.

I'd avoid the simex style tread patterns, they can really tear up the ground and dig big holes. As has been mentioned your best bet is probably to go for some MT type, bfg's have always been the marker for them. but for the majority of off road use there are some very good alternatives. The mickey thompson type directional treads are supposed to be fantastic in the mud. The only thing with them is that they work better going forwards than back, so if you do get stuck and can't move on, you may find it difficult to go backwards.

The fedima diamond pattern type will be excellent off road, but on road you will notice the hum because of the extremely regular tread pattern.

you can also try camskill they are often pretty good with 4x4 tyres.

come on it snows for 2 days a year usually, any AT will be better than road tyres and MT is what you want if you are off road most of the time. No point having something good in snow for 2 days when the other 300 days are in mud ;)

bf goodrich mud terrain :good:

Ditto ... I am a bfg user in the past . But just put insa turbo dakars on my disco . They are half the price but the same pattern . They are just as good offroad but road noise is horrendous . My advice is go bfg that's what all offroad tyre manufacturers are copying

the bfg's have a much harder compound which tends to show in the cold weather. Although I agree, it's nice to have the ability in the bad weather it really shouldn't factor much into your decision. If you're worried about the snow and ice just get a set of decent chains. They'll take you a whole lot further.

When people talk about the bfg muds now, do they mean the old mt pattern or the km2 pattern which has replaced it. The km2 to my eyes looks much more like the krawlers which are very much a rock tyre.

There are plenty of off road tyre manufacturers that don't copy the bfgs, simex, maxxis, Mickey T, kumho, boggers, swampers etc. The bfgs although tend to be a good compromise for a lot of road work and not so much off road.

As it's quite a small size you're going for, you'll probably be limited by what's available. I'd reccomend just going for a fairly aggressive pattern with large enough gaps to self clean reasonably and something that's cheap. The benefit of the expensive tyres in ease of balancing and road noise is really only a factor if you're doing a lot of road miles. Off road, most tyres will do a reasonable job, and it's not quite so painful if they pick up some damage.

Got BFG MT KM2s on my truck and they are excellent in the snow, there's only been the once when I nearly got stuck but the snow was up to sills and trying to get up a steep hill but after a good few attempts’ got out in the end. And they don’t make any noise on the road and are great in the mud highly recommend them.

Insa Turbo Rangers.......take a look at them.

An A/T tyre, had them on my Disco for 2 years, 2 winters and 2 shooting/beating seasons.

Never been stuck, coped with snow , ice , mud.

Still got 6mm on them, won't be changing them until next sping.

Value for money :good: