Nose rubbed in it.

motty

I had a couple of good hours shooting on saturday over peas. I shot 44. I mentioned to a friend who also has permission there, that there was plenty of pigeons starting to get on these fields. He watched the flightlines and concluded he might have a go in the next couple of days.

I passed the few pea fields yesterday afternoon and saw him set up and banging away. I phoned him and he said he had around 60 down - they were decoying well and easily shootable in the strong wind.

Today i phoned to see how he got on. 215. He didn't seem overly pleased by the bag - he's been getting over 100 in nearly every session this year, with a worst bag of 53!

He laughed when i told him i've only shot one ton+ bag this year. Although i don't see 100 as a red letter day anymore (200+ now), i would really like to have that feeling of getting a big bag once again.

On the plus side of things, there are still hundreds of pigeons using the peas fields there, so i may get a big bag there soon.

I bet many people would queue round the block for a guided day with bags like that. I know I would.

He's a lucky sod. He's got more access to land than anyone else i know. I don't know how he manages to shoot big bags all the time, though.

your lucky ! I would give my right arm for a 40 bird day at the moment ,its over 3 years since I shot my last 100+ bag and over 20 since I had my best day of 220.,my permissions have dwindled somewhat since then and I am finding it difficult to get any new ones at the moment not for lack of trying I might add,next time your out motty stick a sign in the middle of the field for the birds pointing to sutton bridge please :lol:

Big pinch of salt just taken!! ******** all over this forum.

Well, that's unfortunate that you think that. Sour grapes? Anyone can have good runs - i had around 9-10 100+ bags from feb - aug last year including a 205 bag.

The shooter in question doesn't even need to tell me how many he's shot - the game dealer confirms it. He also spends most of his free time watching and shooting - it's his passion.

He works hard for his big bags too. He sets out masses of bags and rope bangers to try and channel the birds to him.

Oh, by the way, there are unbelieveable amounts of pigeon in Norfolk and Cambridgeshire at the moment.

Edited by motty

At what stage are the peas you are shooting over ?

These particular peas are in flower, with the pods just starting to emerge. The pigeons had almost completly ignored these fields (5 totalling around 100 acres) since drilling and have only really hit it within the last 2 weeks.

Well, that's unfortunate that you think that. Sour grapes? Anyone can have good runs - i had around 9-10 100+ bags from feb - aug last year including a 205 bag.

The shooter in question doesn't even need to tell me how many he's shot - the game dealer confirms it. He also spends most of his free time watching and shooting - it's his passion.

He works hard for his big bags too. He sets out masses of bags and rope bangers to try and channel the birds to him.

Oh, by the way, there are unbelieveable amounts of pigeon in Norfolk and Cambridgeshire at the moment.

Yes, that's a very strange comment, a competent shooter should be well able to get those sort of numbers, even at this time of year, particularly if they have sole access to the field and can shoot when they like.

All you've got to do is know what you're doing, and put the effort in funnelling the birds your way, this Guy clearly does just that, good luck to him.

Cat.

i have to be content with 3 hours and 7 pigeon,still gets me out of the house.

Same as that pal, most exciting moment of my last outing was reconnecting the bird banger and wondering whether or not it was going to cause a soiling as I made away from it at haste.