Butchery course

Mungler

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a master butcher who would be happy to help as long as he's not working, he can also supply a side of pork and a whole lamb for £150.

AB

That sounds positive Alistair.

The bonus being that the Pubs near Alistair are very good as is the beer.

I am awaiting an answer from the local school caretaker, but with Half Term it will be another week before I get one.

Edited by bakerboy

So we have 2 butchers (or is it three?) and about 20 members who are "up for it" - so when and where is it Mungler?

I used to be for about 28 years been out of it now for about 8 though. Bit far to travel down south though, but it looks as if there are a few meat hackers down there anyway :lol:

Waiting on Beardo re his mate with the pub.

Anyone else with a venue option throw it out on the table now.

Dougy, I would like to see you in action....

December :good: I will show them Croatians how to do the job the English way :good: It may take a little longer though :lol:

I've got a master butcher who would be happy to help as long as he's not working, he can also supply a side of pork and a whole lamb for £150.

AB

whos your butcher mate sounds like he is making a good profit mate you can get a whole pig and whole lamb for that money

colin

Tis true, a whole pig is £60 and although spring lamb is fierce pricey at the mo I still don' t think you'd pay £120 for one ;-)

When I started deer stalking I also did a deal with a local butcher, he got free labour one day a week and I got all the training you could ever want in butchery. I've been at it for almost two years now, pretty much covered everything and got my hygiene certs too. Very handy.

whos your butcher mate sounds like he is making a good profit mate you can get a whole pig and whole lamb for that money

colin

we had two spring lambs,springers, last week off our wholesale butchers £130 apeice :o takes some getting back ,you have to pass the brandy bottle to the customer wen you put the meat on the scale ,stop them passing out :lol: Estimates are beef will go up 12% and lamb 7% a year

There you go then, that makes up the difference, I know we've been offering chairs to customers wanting a leg of spring lamb such is the cost, I wasnt too sure of the wholesale price of a whole beast. Given the cost you might all be better sticking with the pigs and perhaps a munty or two?

Either way good luck to all taking part, a bit of hands on is to be encouraged!

for what we want there isn't much point in getting a pig or lamb as who will be butchering one. Stick with Deer IMHO its what most people want to learn for and the cuts or at least size of them is pretty different to pigs etc. Surely can't be impossible to find one if we get a date set up then see who can get one or two in the chiller at the right time

just spoke to pub - they'd be more than happy for us to come in - mid-week would be best as they are busy at weekends.

they could also arrange a dinner on the back of it if people are interested? the pub servers Tring brewery ales and some others.

The pub's kitchen is pretty small - but they have a dining room that connects to it, that would suite - they also have a butchers block that could be put on a table.

need some more info from Colin really as to what he'll need.

colin

I dare say he is, but he only supplies quality english meat which is easier for an amateur to make a good good of butchering - if you want some tough old boot leather, i'm sure he can do that! :good:

AB

just spoke to pub - they'd be more than happy for us to come in - mid-week would be best as they are busy at weekends.

they could also arrange a dinner on the back of it if people are interested? the pub servers Tring brewery ales and some others.

The pub's kitchen is pretty small - but they have a dining room that connects to it, that would suite - they also have a butchers block that could be put on a table.

need some more info from Colin really as to what he'll need.

I am liking the sound of this.

I am on holiday 10th-30th, I would love to make the event and please put my name down for any date other than my holiday dates.

Terry

I am liking the sound of this.

I am on holiday 10th-30th, I would love to make the event and please put my name down for any date other than my holiday dates.

Terry

I am not saying when I am on hols........ catch my drift

There you go then, that makes up the difference, I know we've been offering chairs to customers wanting a leg of spring lamb such is the cost, I wasnt too sure of the wholesale price of a whole beast. Given the cost you might all be better sticking with the pigs and perhaps a munty or two?

Either way good luck to all taking part, a bit of hands on is to be encouraged!

600lb body of beef we are paying about £1300 . the group like alx4 says are beter butchering deer ,pork an probly , hoggets all could be same weights an cuts

I dare say he is, but he only supplies quality english meat which is easier for an amateur to make a good good of butchering - if you want some tough old boot leather, i'm sure he can do that! :good:

AB

dont need tough old leather a hogget will suffice thats a 1 to 2 year old lamb

colin

ps. blackla please dont think with my last comment i was having a dig its just that i have been butchering for 32 years in the Bedfordshire area and a few years of that in wholesale so i know a lot of the butchers around here mate that was all

Edited by colin lad

dont need tough old leather a hogget will suffice thats a 1 to 2 year old lamb

colin

ps. blackla please dont think with my last comment i was having a dig its just that i have been butchering for 32 years in the Bedfordshire area and a few years of that in wholesale so i know a lot of the butchers around here mate that was all

No worries Colin, i rarely take offence! You might even know the bloke i'm talking about if you've been in Beds that long!

AB

Edited by blackla