PTO bench saws

njc110381

Hey guys. I'm sure some of you may have come across these. Big 20"ish blades run by a tractor or stationary engine and used to cut firewood.

Well I'm thinking of buying an old one. Just how dangerous are they?! There's no blade guard and I'm confident it wouldn't meet the current H&S spec but I just want it to do firewood in the garden. Does anyone still use one? More to the point would you? They look great and a chainsaw isn't exactly safe. I'm thinking that working inside the guidelines with one of these should be just as safe but am happy to admit I don't know the rules when it comes to this sort of tool. I'd need some basic training or at least pointers from someone in the know but I think it would be easier to use and better for my back than going at a log pile all day long with a chainsaw!

Also. How easy is it to get blades for them? Are they easy to sharpen?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ask johnny cash's brother! :yp:

In all seriousness they are lethal, and the last time I saw one working it wasn't all the impressive although it was a loose belt type one, the belt was slipping halfway through a cut and there was an awful burning smell as the guy tried to pill the log out :lol: I think you do get direct drive ones which are better but remember there is no safety cut off with these when operating them alone!

A friend of mine is keen to use one for the annual firewood stock up and to be honest I see no point as they are more dangerous but do the same job as a chainsaw but are less mobile.

Regards,

Gixer

Farmer was using his - PTO direct drive - this week. Being a farmer, it was considered almost new although I think his grand father had it as a wedding present. He was cutting palm and moaning because the blade didn't like it. Personally, inspite of having done some damned silly things in my time, you'd never get me anywhere near it. The farmer always ensures the work area is flat and clean and that he has an assistant. However, I know he's not too happy about using it and has actually spent some money - on a log splitter - to ensure the use of the saw is kept to a minimum.

I have one which is run off an old tractor - its indirect drive and that gives me some comfort.

These things are lethal if you dont maintain 110% concentration and relatively safe if you do.

My blade is 14" dia and you can imagine the mess it would make of you if you fell on it whilst leaning forward.

I never use it when tired.

The working surface under your feet must be clean, dry , level and the wood to cut must be handy and piles of cut logs removed before they get round your feet and you fall over them.

I only use it for 3" or smaller branches the rest is chainsawed. Mine cost £50 4 years ago !

That having been said, a friend used a guarded saw, wasnt concentrating and took the top of his finger off.

Local hosp sewed it back on and he's fine - it pays to take very great care.

P.S. do not let anyone else use it but yourself - if they, even your family, have an accident, I suspect you would be liable to some degree.

simply they are fine if you maintain them and are sensible, lack of a guard isn't a major issue as lets face it you know to keep your hands and body away from it. Keep the log on the cutting deck so it can't kick and keep hands away from the blade. Personally if you want to use one I'd spend the money and buy a newer one as they are still produced and health and safety has moved on a long way.

just make sure it has a riving knife, friend of mine was using one without, the wood caught on the back of the blade as it was being pushed through, the blade shot it foreward and the piece of wood hit him in the chest. it could have been fatal.

Get a log splitter! The saw table will not prevent logs being kicked up either, if you try and take pressure off them half way through a cut the will throw things out, one of my friends has one at the back of his farm and it hasn't been used for years due to how lethal it is!

since when did log splitters cut logs to length

Just what I was about to say! Thanks for the honest feedback though, perhaps a more modern one may be a good idea?! The one I'm looking at has no guards anywhere that I can see. Just a blade sticking out of a bench!

Sold mine and just use the chainsaw now. It was a modern ish one and in perfect working and sold for over £1k. Nothing wrong with them but I find the chainsaw much quicker.

You will need a chainsaw anyway as you can't lift a whole tree and put it on the sawbench.If i had the money I would buy a firewod processor but I don't miss the sawbench, not for safety reasons just because I found it slower.

since when did log splitters cut logs to length

Err....they don't! :hmm: but a chainsaw does and then you split the log.....with a ....Erm....logsplitter.

Really guys, what's the point in a bench saw when you'll need the chainsaw to get the timber into movable manageable pieces anyway! Just cut it to log sized bits at the same time!

Edited by gixer1