Lee hand priming tool

Hi guys i was abit stuck reloading my 243 ammo yesterday as i did not have a priming tool, i have now got myself a lee handpress but boy is it hard. i have managed to prime 3 cases but it took me nearly 15 mins surely its not that hard, im pressing with all my might so hard infact my hands are sore. could some one please advise me on what im doing wrong, thanks.

The lee hand primer is an excellent little tool, I bought one off guntrader secondhand, the chap said it hadnt been used. Had a similar problem, the case hole and the primer were not square on,think the shell holder was a little bit out of line, but as said earlier, the primer should go in easily.

Ps you do have the right primers of course.

I used to use the Lee Autoprime then the new Autoprime XR and the "out of the box" fit and finish on both was quite poor, castings not fully cleaned or polished so very rough in operation. I now use an RCBS Universal hand priming tool, absolute chalk and cheese diference in build quality and operation, smooth as a babies bottom :)

Hi guys i was abit stuck reloading my 243 ammo yesterday as i did not have a priming tool, i have now got myself a lee handpress but boy is it hard. i have managed to prime 3 cases but it took me nearly 15 mins surely its not that hard, im pressing with all my might so hard infact my hands are sore. could some one please advise me on what im doing wrong, thanks.

I assume you've deprimed the cases first. :lol:

Sounds like you need to use a swaging die prior to priming, similar to the .223 when military primers are used on the Lakeside brass they need to be swaged first before standard primers could be used. Did your old primers have a red ring around them?as they could have a had a waterproofing! Whatever the case you should not be having to use the pressure that you are describing(safety Glasses worn?) and I would suggest that this practices ceases whilst you investigate the cause and rectify!

good luck!

David