Setting Rotary 200 yards from hide.

Bleeh

Someone today told me about the tactic of setting a rotary about 150 yards from the hide, close enough to pull them in from a wider range, then then get spooked from getting close to the rotary, they then fly off and head towards my hide with the static decoys set out.

Has anyone ever given this tactic a go?

Cheers

Andrew

When pigeons are spooked by the magnet they usually do it from distance, in that case what guarantee do you have it will spook in your direction?

I've put bouncers way out to direct birds from distance and that's worked.

When I use a magnet I tend to place it so the. Birds never fly over it which they are usually reluctant to do. I see where the birds are coming from and place it on the other side of the decoys, so the deeks are between the magnet and where the birds are coming from. This way the magnet draws them in, as they head for the magnet they see the deeks first and hopefully come into the pattern before reaching the magnet.

The secret is to watch the birds and how they react, then change the pattern and positioning to suit.

Edited by Cosd

Doesnt sound like anything I would try or see working, why try to attract birds to a magnet way out of gun range with the hopes of it spooking them to come to your pattern, just doesnt sound right, and I've tried all weird and wonderfuls over 30 years :rolleyes: .

As Cosd said i've also set a floater or bouncer way out to pull birds from a distance if I cant set up any closer to their flightline to give the birds a guideing finger to the dec's.

One of the beaters on our shoot has had good success with this - he and his dad set up about 100-150 yards apart with their own patterns (no magnets) and then put a magnet out in the field between them, they ended up with 800 in 3 days last summer. He thinks it catches the birds attention and then they head to one of the patterns - not seen it in action though!

AB

One of the beaters on our shoot has had good success with this - he and his dad set up about 100-150 yards apart with their own patterns (no magnets) and then put a magnet out in the field between them, they ended up with 800 in 3 days last summer. He thinks it catches the birds attention and then they head to one of the patterns - not seen it in action though!

AB

Well in this case the magnet would only be a max 75 yards from either one of them,so that is entirely a different scenario.

I'm not sure that it's just a magnet that 'spooks' pigeons anyway. I've had several days when taking the magnet in (because they were jinking away) has made no difference as they still do it. I think it's just instinct that they somehow sense something wrong and fly off. This happens on the good days, too.

AB

That I have used at times and it can work with 2 hides and 2 patterns as long as they not too far apart and the day dictates that way. but solo hide and 150 yards away from the hide ummm.

I've used a rotary with a plastic bag on it to scare birds off one side of a very large field in the vein hope they would move to the other side where we were set up .The first time it worked a treat but when we tried it again they may gave well left the county

If your magnet spooks birds it's only because something is not right . It could even be the sun shining on it in which case it's best not to use it as they soon wise up

Someone today told me about the tactic of setting a rotary about 150 yards from the hide, close enough to pull them in from a wider range, then then get spooked from getting close to the rotary, they then fly off and head towards my hide with the static decoys set out.

Has anyone ever given this tactic a go?

Cheers

Andrew

that sounds like what the rotary does near your decoys in the first place brings them to you then they go in to the decoys whats the point in having it so far away with no guarantee that they will head towards you and the decoys ???